The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suki - DaveR's ongoing single turbo project

DaveR

The built block idea sounded interesting....Maybe Paul can do you and dad a deal...:D

Stop it! :spank:

As often as this doesn't happen ;) Chris has a point!! :D

And I for one am very curious about how far the power will go on yours considering it's still rising at the redline! Absolutely love your setup Dave, as you know :)

Edited by Littler (see edit history)

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Built blocks are awesome..... :sly:

:D Oh yeah...!

I for one am very curious about how far the power will go on yours considering it's still rising at the redline! Absolutely love your setup Dave, as you know :)

Yeah it'd be nice to balance everything, increase the rev limit and crank up the boost a notch or two... :innocent: I've literally been out of debt (and therefore the actual, technical, black-and-white owner of my car) since the start of this month, so I can't get back into debt in practically the same breath!

As often as this doesn't happen, Chris has a point!!

Also, :D

Yeah the thought did occur to me at the time that this would mean yet more similarities...

Damn straight! If I'm keeping them afloat I want a discount! :D

Built blocks are awesome..... :sly:

Only difference being you have a manual Dave, that will always keep you ahead in some peoples eyes ;)

3.5 FTW! Hey Bieber ;)

Apologies for missing the cambelt post, I shall keep fingers crossed you'll make an appearance for chicken at BW :D

Edited by thetrashcanman (see edit history)

I have a rather tasty 3.4 stroker block here ready to go if needed, that with a big valve head would make a serious street car. All in stock, see you Monday Dave!

:D You know you want to Dave, that will keep you ahead of the game! Why pay nearly as much to have Paul put together a standard 3.0 built block?!

I used tiger seal and gym weights to hold down my ridox worked a treat :).

Goddammit...! :banghead:

I guess I could remove it and do the job again to re-centre everything but now I've put a bead of the sealant all the way around I'm reluctant to do so... Oh well. If When I get my carbon boot lid, if I decide to transfer the lip spoiler across, I know for next time...

Only difference being you have a manual Dave, that will always keep you ahead in some peoples eyes ;)

Apologies for missing the cambelt post, I shall keep fingers crossed you'll make an appearance for chicken at BW :D

Getrag FTW every time!! :trophy:

And yeah I'm still undecided about Bluewater so watch this space. :)

:D You know you want to Dave, that will keep you ahead of the game! Why pay nearly as much to have Paul put together a standard 3.0 built block?!

My two opposing schools of thought on the matter are that it would be nice to increase the rev limit to extract more top-end grunt, which I've heard isn't recommended on a 3.4l 2JZ because it makes it over-square; on the other hand, low-end shove and spooling the turbo quicker (with more boost... :eyebrows:) sounds nice too... :tempted: I just don't know!!! :conf:

My two opposing schools of thought on the matter are that it would be nice to increase the rev limit to extract more top-end grunt, which I've heard isn't recommended on a 3.4l 2JZ because it makes it over-square; on the other hand, low-end shove and spooling the turbo quicker (with more boost... :eyebrows:) sounds nice too... :tempted: I just don't know!!! :conf:

I'd go for an engine with a high rev limit. I'd love an engine that would rev to 8.5K. It's one of the things I miss about having a bike.

The Titan stroker kits are rated to 9,000rpm for the 3.4 and 9,500 for the 3.2.......... :D

What are you waiting for then?!

Gotta agree :D

Have you bought that stroker kit yet Dave? :p ;)

I'm obviously going to have to resort to the tried and trusted 'stick your fingers in your ears and say lalalalalala really loud until they go away' technique here... :D

looks fresh!

Thanks matey. :thanks:

If I had the £12k-ish required I'd be on it in a flash. But I don't. So I'm not. :shrug:

Buuuutttt... In my new-found out-of-debt wealth I reckon I can have the money together within the next 12 months (3.4l block, stage 3 head, engine bay smoothed / re-painted... the works!) so it'll happen soonish. :eyebrows:

Today, despite the *ahem* issues I had earlier in the week with my Ridox lip spoiler, I decided to fit my Whifbitz carbon fibre scuttle panel.

The stock one came off very easily without having to remove the bonnet, since a. it's quite flexible and b. if it gets 'hurt' a bit, it doesn't really matter (it didn't).

After 18 years things had got quite grimey under there:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174530&d=1378139625

...so I took the opportunity to give everything a good clean.

With that done, I carefully removed all of the rubber seals from the stock part and washed them in some warm water too:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174531&d=1378139625

The two smaller ones seal the bonnet hinges and the long thin one seals the panel against the windscreen.

Risk time! :eek: There is a requirement to cut away a portion of the carbon scuttle panel; the part you can see in this picture that protrudes from between the two slits that are roughly perpendicular to the edge - this allows for the bonnet hinge to move freely without fouling the panel and is sealed by the aforementioned rubber parts:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174532&d=1378139625

Paul (Mr Whifbitz :D) said that future stocks will have this part pre-cut, but mine still needed fettling.

So, measure twice and cut once an' all that I marked everything up using some masking tape and a permi pen:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174533&d=1378139625

attachment.php?attachmentid=174534&d=1378139625

And got going with the Dremel:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174535&d=1378139661

To save anyone else who might be reading this and intending on fitting one of these the same to-ing and fro-ing and trial and error that I then went through, what you ACTUALLY need to cut away is quite a bit more material so that the bonnet hinge has sufficient room to move. The final amount I cut is shown in this modified pic:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174536&d=1378139661

If you compare this with the stock part, you'll see it matches more closely.

EDIT: It makes a lot of sense to include a picture of the stock part here really...

attachment.php?attachmentid=174552&d=1378217984

With that all done, I ran a thin bead of Tiger Seal along the rearmost edge of the underside of the panel and around my freshly cut bonnet hinge slits and glued the rubber seals in place:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174537&d=1378139661

attachment.php?attachmentid=174538&d=1378139661

The long windscreen seal needs stretching slightly to ensure it fits correctly.

To fit the panel, once everything was dry of course, I pressed into service a burly friend to hold the bonnet for me while I unfastened one of the hinges to allow me to slip the new panel into position. The new piece isn't flexible enough to go in in the same way the stock one came out (well, it might be, but at £250 or whatever they are, do you REALLY want to take the risk...?) so my advice is either to do what I did or, if you fancy it, remove the bonnet completely. Either way, the piece is a really good fit and slides into place without too much pushing and pulling (and swearing, etc! :D) once you have sufficient access.

Once it was in place, I re-fastened the hinge bolts (so my mate could relax and have a brew!) and then simply re-attached all of the stock screws and plastic clips (the holes all lined up impressively perfectly, which I was very happy about understandably!) and of course the windscreen wipers. With everything in place (and the bonnet panel gaps checked to make sure the hinge went back in the exact right place), it's time to stand back and admire... :cool:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174539&d=1378139661

Muuuuch better! :)

This close-up shows the amount of material I removed for the bonnet hinges, covered by the stock rubber seal:

attachment.php?attachmentid=174540&d=1378139675

IMG_1358.JPG

IMG_1359.jpg

IMG_1362.JPG

IMG_1363.JPG

IMG_1365.JPG

IMG_1366.JPG

IMG_1366a.jpg

IMG_1368.JPG

IMG_1369.JPG

IMG_1373.JPG

IMG_1375.JPG

IMG_1376.JPG

Edited by DaveR
Added pic of stock part for comparison (see edit history)

Today, despite the *ahem* issues I had earlier in the week with my Ridox lip spoiler, I decided to fit my Whifbitz carbon fibre scuttle panel.

The stock one came off very easily without having to remove the bonnet, since a. it's quite flexible and b. if it gets 'hurt' a bit, it doesn't really matter (it didn't).

After 18 years things had got quite grimey under there:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174530&d=1378139625

...so I took the opportunity to give everything a good clean.

With that done, I carefully removed all of the rubber seals from the stock part and washed them in some warm water too:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174531&d=1378139625

The two smaller ones seal the bonnet hinges and the long thin one seals the panel against the windscreen.

Risk time! :eek: There is a requirement to cut away a portion of the carbon scuttle panel; the part you can see in this picture that protrudes from between the two slits that are roughly perpendicular to the edge - this allows for the bonnet hinge to move freely without fouling the panel and is sealed by the aforementioned rubber parts:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174532&d=1378139625

Paul (Mr Whifbitz :D) said that future stocks will have this part pre-cut, but mine still needed fettling.

So, measure twice and cut once an' all that I marked everything up using some masking tape and a permi pen:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174533&d=1378139625

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174534&d=1378139625

And got going with the Dremel:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174535&d=1378139661

To save anyone else who might be reading this and intending on fitting one of these the same to-ing and fro-ing and trial and error that I then went through, what you ACTUALLY need to cut away is quite a bit more material so that the bonnet hinge has sufficient room to move. The final amount I cut is shown in this modified pic:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174536&d=1378139661

If you compare this with the stock part, you'll see it matches more closely.

With that all done, I ran a thin bead of Tiger Seal along the rearmost edge of the underside of the panel and around my freshly cut bonnet hinge slits and glued the rubber seals in place:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174537&d=1378139661

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174538&d=1378139661

To fit the panel, once everything was dry of course, I pressed into service a burly friend to hold the bonnet for me while I unfastened one of the hinges to allow me to slip the new panel into position. The new piece isn't flexible enough to go in in the same way the stock one came out (well, it might be, but at £250 or whatever they are, do you REALLY want to take the risk...?) so my advice is either to do what I did or, if you fancy it, remove the bonnet completely. Either way, the piece is a really good fit and slides into place without too much pushing and pulling (and swearing, etc! :D) once you have sufficient access.

Once it was in place, I re-fastened the hinge bolts (so my mate could relax and have a brew!) and then simply re-attached all of the stock screws and plastic clips (the holes all lined up impressively perfectly, which I was very happy about understandably!) and of course the windscreen wipers. With everything in place (and the bonnet panel gaps checked to make sure the hinge went back in the exact right place), it's time to stand back and admire... :cool:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174539&d=1378139661

Muuuuch better! :)

This close-up shows the amount of material I removed for the bonnet hinges, covered by the stock rubber seal:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/attachment.php?attachmentid=174540&d=1378139675

They do look very impressive when fitted don't they Dave, it gives the car an updated fresher look, glad you liked the way it fits! Oh and your write ups are great by the way, keep them coming!