The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suki - DaveR's ongoing single turbo project

DaveR

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The new air filter looks good Dave, we've just ordered the same one. Did you notice any improvements?

Good stuff. :thumbs:

Yes I did notice a difference to be honest. The throttle response seems more immediate now; less hesitation generally. I can't quantify anything, meaning I have no numbers to attach to it and I can't describe it in any more detail than that. AND I'm prepared to admit that improvement could all be in my head anyway... :think:

Whether that's true or not though it looks and sounds cool, so it's an instant win! :D

Have you measured your (dad's) car's engine bay then? I remember him telling me at Bluewater a couple of months ago that he'd like to get a bigger filter but that there wasn't enough space...

Good stuff. :thumbs:

Yes I did notice a difference to be honest. The throttle response seems more immediate now; less hesitation generally. I can't quantify anything, meaning I have no numbers to attach to it and I can't describe it in any more detail than that. AND I'm prepared to admit that improvement could all be in my head anyway... :think:

Whether that's true or not though it looks and sounds cool, so it's an instant win! :D

Have you measured your (dad's) car's engine bay then? I remember him telling me at Bluewater a couple of months ago that he'd like to get a bigger filter but that there wasn't enough space...

Thats good to know :) We haven't measured anything no because the car is still away being repaired. But we havent got anything in the way as such so hopefully it will be a direct fit. There's only one way to find out...

Thats good to know :) We haven't measured anything no because the car is still away being repaired. But we havent got anything in the way as such so hopefully it will be a direct fit. There's only one way to find out...

Fair enough! Hope it works out.

• 7 months later...

Hello again all in the Supra world. :hello:

Having all but dropped off the face of the planet, forum-wise, over the last few months (about 8 of them, really...), I thought it was time for an update on my Suki. It's quite a big one!

I moved back to London last summer and haven't really been able to use my car a great deal, what with being extremely busy with my new job coupled with living once again at least an hour from anything approaching a 'fun driving experience'. I've even had to take to disconnecting my battery between uses of my car to prevent it from flattening completely. Not good. :(

The last time I did manage to get my car out for a spin, however, I noticed what I initially thought was a boost-related issue. Basically, the car was revving and performing as you'd expect up to about 4.7k rpm and then it was as if I was experiencing boost cut or hitting some kind of rev limiter - the performance would just stop and I'd have no power at all. I checked all the usual suspects (vac hoses, boost pipes, electrical connectors, etc) but couldn't see anything obvious, do I decided it was time to get the car in for a refresh before the summer comes, starting with fixing this problem.

I dropped my car off with Whifbitz in Enfield with a list of faults that I wanted to be fixed. After a week or so, I heard back from Paul:

Hi Dave,

Darren did a leak down/compression test on your engine today and the results were not good I’m afraid.

The engine has 50% leak by on cylinders 4 & 5 being the worst ones. Cylinder 1 25%, cylinder 2 20%, 3 30%, 4 50%, 5 50% and 6 25%. Compression wasn’t too bad at between 160 to 165psi across the board. It’s the leak down test that shows up issues though.

The leak by could be caused by worn piston rings/bore, valves not seating correctly, head gasket leak(probably not though). Either way to fix the issue it would require an engine strip down and rebuild...

As you can imagine, that's not QUITE the result I was expecting... :shock: I was more hoping for a "we found a loose jubilee clip but we've replaced it and now everything's fine..." kind of result.

After a bit of wishful thinking on my part and some further digging, I learned this:

It's piston rings from the test results but it's also smoking badly on start up which points towards valve guides.

So basically a full strip down and inspection is needed to rectify. The problem we have with these engines now is it's impossible to quote an exact price because they are all vary on what needs doing to repair them.

It used to be just piston rings, hone, head and block skim and reassemble with new bearings and oil pump.

Nowadays it's pretty much always a set of pistons, rebore and full head rebuild with new guides, valve seats recut, and sometimes new valve springs and valves too.

I was already aware of the smokiness on start up (one of the jobs I'd originally booked to have done was to replace the valve stem seals in an effort to cure this) but with this news I decided it was time to put my dream engine spec into action.

So... With my original hope of something simple well and truly gone, I'm biting the bullet and having the following installed over the coming weeks:

Whifbitz Stage 3 cylinder head

Brian Crower 3.5l striker kit

ARP head & main studs

New OE gaskets, oil & water pumps and viscous fan coupling

Titan crank pulley

TRD engine mounts and brackets

OS Giken Super Lock LSD

:eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows: :eyebrows:

Clearly that's not an exhaustive list, but you get the idea! :D I'm also getting a few more dress-up parts fitted while the engine's out and getting the bay sprayed black in readiness for my eventual respray (waaaaaaay in the future... :eek:).

I'm sure Paul and Darren will take pictures for me while the work is going on (;)) but for now the waiting game begins while all of the parts are assembled.

Watch this space... :cool:

Thats a shame mate, not the news you wanted :(

Hopefully the car will be back on the road soon!

No. No it wasn't! But I've adopted an "it's only money" outlook (uh, again... :think: ) so this should be a new lease of life for the old girl. :)

Glad to hear from you, sorry about the bad news but sounds like Suki will be even more of a beast after. What figures are you expecting with the stage 3 head and 3.5 litre stroker kit?

That's the plan! :eyebrows: I've no ideas what to expect, power-wise. I suppose I would expect 8-900bhp, but I guess it depends on the limitations of the turbo. I'm not after turning this into a bragging rights, Top Trumps-esque numbers-chasing exercise though. I really just want the 'lower down the rev range' grunt that more displacement should bring. Saying that, running 2BAR boost sounds cool! :D

Just out of interest mate, why have you chosen a 3.5 bottom end?

Uhhm, it was on a special rate from the supplier... :D

Basically because 'why not'? I think it's still fairly unique, which is a big draw. :)

Good luck Dave.

Thanks, mukka. :cool:

Sorry to hear about the extra work. But the good news is you now have a reason to go 3.5 and have a more responsive and powerful car. Have you considered swapping the turbo for something more modern while having all the other work done seeming as how you'll be mapping the car again, and the engine will be out and built when back in? A gen2 6466?

Also what colour will you be going with when getting a respray?

Sorry to hear about the extra work. But the good news is you now have a reason to go 3.5 and have a more responsive and powerful car. Have you considered swapping the turbo for something more modern while having all the other work done seeming as how you'll be mapping the car again, and the engine will be out and built when back in? A gen2 6466?

Also what colour will you be going with when getting a respray?

My turbo is only a couple of years old so it seems crazy to swap it at the moment. Never say never an' all that but I'm more than happy with my BW for now. :) Plus, given how much this built engine is going to cost me, I don't really think I can convince Mr Bank Manager to fund another new turbo as well... :taped:

My respray colour is EXTRA top secret, too. Suffice it to say I think it's unique as far as Supras go. ;)

• 3 months later...

The engine is going back together at the moment, 3.4 litre Titan Motorsport stroker kit with Whifbitz stage 3 big valve CNC ported cylinder head, pretty much everything else is staying the same as it was before, should be a bit of a torque monster after all of this!

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine.JPG

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine2.JPG

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine3.JPG

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine4.JPG

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine5.JPG

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine6.JPG

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine7.JPG

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine8.JPG

http://www.garagewhifbitz.co.uk/images/stories/gw_images/forum pics/daveroper/dave34engine9.JPG

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Soooooooo...

I've been particularly bad at keeping my thread updated with each new, uh, update during my engine build (there are MANY reasons for this, which I won't bore you all with).

However. Today should change all that. ;)

I collected my car for the last time from Whifbitz yesterday, having spent time over the last couple of weeks getting the new engine run-in and ensuring the last few elements of the build went according to my intent.

AND... Today is mapping day! Let's see what happens. :eyebrows:

Watch this space. :)

Soooooooo...

I've been particularly bad at keeping my thread updated with each new, uh, update during my engine build (there are MANY reasons for this, which I won't bore you all with).

However. Today should change all that. ;)

I collected my car for the last time from Whifbitz yesterday, having spent time over the last couple of weeks getting the new engine run-in and ensuring the last few elements of the build went according to my intent.

AND... Today is mapping day! Let's see what happens. :eyebrows:

Watch this space. :)

Look forward to the results.

Just to re-cap its the same set up but just with a 3.4 stroker engine ?

Look forward to the results.

Just to re-cap its the same set up but just with a 3.4 stroker engine ?

Exactly that, yeah - Titan 3.4l stroker block (balanced crank, con rods, pistons, etc) with a ported and polished stage 3 head and ARP bolts throughout. Otherwise, cams, fuel system, turbo, wastegates, plenum, FMIC are all as before.

Romain (2BarTuning) is doing his thing now.

Exactly that, yeah - Titan 3.4l stroker block (balanced crank, con rods, pistons, etc) with a ported and polished stage 3 head and ARP bolts throughout. Otherwise, cams, fuel system, turbo, wastegates, plenum, FMIC are all as before.

Romain (2BarTuning) is doing his thing now.

This will be interesting to compare, although you cant directly compare dyno graphs still give a good indication

This will be interesting to compare, although you cant directly compare dyno graphs still give a good indication

Yeah the car was mapped the first time on an AMS hub dyno, this time it's on a DynoDynamics rolling road so there's not exactly a DIRECT comparison. As you say though, it will be interesting. I'm prepared now for the turbo and FMIC to be the 'limiting' factor in the whole setup but to be honest, I'm not chasing peak figures or anything here, I just want a more responsive car with the torque curve pushed to the left. The setup before was plenty fast enough on the road so even a result of 'the same power but everything happening earlier' [in the rev range] would be awesome! :)