The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suki - DaveR's ongoing single turbo project

DaveR

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The wastegate Vac pipes would look better wrapped in heat resistant sleeve and routed the other side of the strut feet.

Funnily enough, I had the same thought the other day. I need to get hold of some heat wrap, but watch this space... :)

Heat wrap ordered (well prompted, Rob :thumbs:), so this very alteration can go ahead shortly!! :)

Nice one! would look neater

Grille or heat-wrapped vac hoses? Or both?! :D

Best grill set out there IMO, and its perfect fitment, nice choice :)

Yeah I've been thinking about it for a while. My one at the moment isn't quite right - it's one of those things that most people would never notice but I know it's wrong!!

What colour of grill set did you go with on ths Zunsport? they come in black and polished iirc. Im assuming black to match your wheels?

You can indeed buy them in either polished or black. I went with the polished one actually because I like the overall effect of my current one - also polished - just not the execution. :)

I had the front of my car jacked up when I got home from work this afternoon, which allowed me firstly to fit the remaining Mikalor clamp to my radiator lower hose and also to remove my old grille to fit my shiny new Zunsport one. Quite why I didn't just buy one of these years ago I'll never know... :shrug:

There was nothing wrong with the theory of my bespoke grille - constructed from a piece of generic stainless mesh - but I hadn't quite bent it into shape correctly meaning that the lower portion of the front bumper was distorted:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170615&d=1370379683

attachment.php?attachmentid=170616&d=1370379683

attachment.php?attachmentid=170617&d=1370379683

I had to modify my Zunsport grille slightly due to no longer having the 'stiffening strip' in the bottom of the front bumper aperture (I'm sure there was a very good reason why I removed it when I did, but don't ask me what it was... :conf:), but I was hugely impressed by the fit of this product. All else being equal, it would have slotted straight into place in less than ten minutes I reckon. :thumbs:

Specifically, I needed to drill the lower brackets to accept an M6 bolt each to allow me to attach the lower section of the grille to the bumper and also add a 90-degree bracket in the centre to mitigate against the warped plastic. The end result is worth the extra effort I reckon. :)

Extra bracket:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170619&d=1370379683

The finished article (I gave my FMIC end tanks a bit of a clean with some T-Cut metal polish while access was improved):

attachment.php?attachmentid=170618&d=1370379683

Wider angle shots to follow once I've cleaned the OUTRAGEOUS amount of pollen off my car...

IMG_0980.JPG

IMG_0982.JPG

IMG_0983.JPG

IMG_0984.JPG

IMG_0985.JPG

Edited by DaveR
Terminology (see edit history)

With regards to this conversation a few posts ago...

The wastegate Vac pipes would look better wrapped in heat resistant sleeve and routed the other side of the strut feet.

I need to get hold of some heat wrap, but watch this space.

...I finally got around to ordering some heat resistant sleeving - something I've been meaning to do for a while. It arrived today, so I got straight into fitting it onto my wastegate vac hoses so I could re-route them to make the offside of my engine bay look a bit neater. :)

I found I needed to shorten the first sections of hose from each wastegate to the T-pieces that then connect them to the boost solenoid and also replace one of those hoses with a longer section so that it ran with no kinks. I simply cable tied the (slightly too large...) sleeve at the rear of its run and then used a random P-clip that I had hanging around to hold it into place on the stock airbox mounting point at the front, which I also used to re-mount my boost solenoid. Simple enough!

Before:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170646&d=1370443985

Marking up the boost solenoid / one of the lengths of hose so I didn't connect them the wrong way around later... :eek:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170647&d=1370443985

After:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170648&d=1370443985

The lighting isn't ideal (not that any of us are complaining about the sun!!!! :trampoline:) and I've obviously channelled Rob Mitchell in the photography skills department - :D - but here's how she looks now. :cool:

attachment.php?attachmentid=170649&d=1370443985

IMG_0987.JPG

IMG_0988.JPG

IMG_0990.JPG

Engine.jpg

Just reading all the way through this thread matey, car looks awesome! Can't wait to see what else your doing to it with the plans you where talking about at the bluewater meet

Loads more to come, buddy, keep watching this space! :)

Here's the thread Adam and I were telling you about earlier mate, settle in and enjoy!

http://mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread....-the-Ground-Up

Thanks again for your help today, was really appreciated!!

The link's not working there matey...

No problems about today. I take it you made it home ok and weren't waiting too long for your man to turn up after we left?

EDIT:

D'oh! Just saw the other link. Got it! Let reading commence...

Well I followed Dave to Shakespeare yesterday and I can't believe how planted the car was when he was on WOT round the bends!

You have a hell of a well set up car mate, everything has bin designed to compliment each other, just as it should be :thumbs:

Well I followed Dave to Shakespeare yesterday and I can't believe how planted the car was when he was on WOT round the bends!

You have a hell of a well set up car mate, everything has bin designed to compliment each other, just as it should be :thumbs:

Thanks matey. She does alright! :eyebrows: