The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suki - DaveR's ongoing single turbo project

DaveR

Fortunately I discovered earlier today that I still had sufficient alloy heat shielding (courtesy of Whifbitz) left over from when I constructed an air filter heat shield for my BPU set-up to create another for my new K&N filter on my single turbo set-up. Result! :)

I didn't get any work-in-progress shots because I had to dodge the weather somewhat throughout the day, but the technique involved knocking up a template from cardboard and then transferring the shape into the alloy material. I finished it all off by covering the (really sharp...) edges of the panel in some blue rubber piping that I had lying around.

Here's what the panel looked like fitted but without the air filter or the oil catch tank pipes re-attached:

attachment.php?attachmentid=160174&d=1352050416

Attachment-wise, it's held in place with a cable tie around the bracket for my stock air feed "snorkel" and a bracket (recycled from my BPU heat shield, handily) on the stock airbox mounting point.

With everything re-attached, here's the finished product:

attachment.php?attachmentid=160175&d=1352050416

And finally, the whole engine bay as it now stands:

attachment.php?attachmentid=160176&d=1352050646

I'm just waiting on my radiator slam panel and polished coolant expansion tank for behind the n/s headlight from SRD and the physical components of my engine bay will all be in place.

Well, for now... :eyebrows:

100_0517a.jpg

100_0522a.jpg

100_0532.jpg

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:) Lovely

those rota's with the white side wall writing make it look proper race car. love it :)

oh and the tow hooks help a load too ;)

:blush: :love: Thanks guys!

And Dave, I'm surprised more people don't do the sidewall writing - given how simple it is (if a little time-consuming, I suppose) and cheap to boot, it makes such a difference. It's all about the little touches, you know?! :cool:

As I said to ya over text the other day this is one of my fav supra in the forum! Your attention to detail is second to none mate!

What a fantastic job you're doing. I love the look of the engine bay, and actually, the whole car. What a beaut! :cool:

:love:

im glad to see that you done the heat sheild by the filter, did you test how hot the filter gets from a good run? im sure that its the most cost affective mod that has practicality

I did check it, yeah and to be fair it really wasn't too bad. BUT... it was quite a cold day (shock... :rolleyes: ) when I did it and besides, I figured it really can't hurt. Plus I think it looks quite smart too so it's win-win! :D

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all. I have a couple of (mainly cosmetic) engine bay upgrades to report:

I've been away for a couple of weeks now, but on my return was a package waiting for me containing a radiator slam panel and alloy coolant expansion tank from SRD (cheers Lee!) - both polished of course :cool: - so I busied myself with fitting them at the weekend.

Bolting the slam panel into place was a simple enough job taking all of, oooh, 35 seconds maybe? :D

Sadly, the same can't be said of the expansion tank. Because it's designed to fit (very neatly) in between the battery and the n/s headlight and because my battery is now in the boot to make way for my boost pipe / power steering fluid reservoir, things needed to be "massaged" into place.

Everything did indeed offer up fine (more by luck than by judgement as I confess that I didn't measure anything before hand... :rolleyes: ), but I needed to re-route the power steering feed pipe to behind the boost pipe and then remove the reservoir and even the headlight to gain enough access to drill the mounting holes and then bolt everything in. All for the sake of 2 nuts and bolts! Oh well. A bit of a pain, but it's all done now along with some nice shiny Viper Performance hoses to finish things off.

Check it out:

attachment.php?attachmentid=161214&d=1354117751

One thing I did neglect to re-fit is my alarm's bonnet release sensor, so that will need addressing at the weekend, meaning that - probably - everything will need to come out again so I can get the correct size / placed hole drilled. D'oh! :banghead:

100_0536.jpg

Edited by DaveR (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I actually carried out this little alteration a while ago, but neglected to get any decent pictures or, uh, mention it...

Anyway. Nothing spectacular, but I got rid of the rear wiper (RainX can be solely responsible for my rear visibility now!) and motor. 1 x 25mm grommet with a dab of silicone adhesive later and the rear end is smartened up no end, I reckon. :)

Some pics:

attachment.php?attachmentid=162038&d=1355763874

attachment.php?attachmentid=162040&d=1355763950

I've also updated My Garage again with some nice new pictures seeing as the weather today was a touch more agreeable than it has otherwise been of late...

100_0688.jpg

100_0564a.jpg

100_0698.jpg

I spent a good chunk of today underneath my car for various reasons, swearing and getting dirty. Never a waste of a day, frankly! :D

Anyway, after reading the horror stories in this thread in the Tech section about subframe bolts coming loose, I thought I'd whip out my trusty torque wrench and check everything's good. To be honest, none of the bolts were anywhere near as loose as some members reported in the original thread, although I did get about 1/8 - 1/4 of a turn on 3 out of the 4 smaller ones on the front subframe and then probably just over 1/2 a turn on the other, so I'm glad I checked.

My 12mm socket gave up the fight and split when I went to check the small bolts at the rear of the car, so that will have to wait until another day, although happily the 2 larger ones were tight enough. :)

I also discovered my oil filter was oozing a bit of the slippery stuff too and managed to get over 1/2 a turn to get it nice and flush with the sandwich plate again.

One of the other little (impromptu) jobs I carried out while I was under the back of the car was to remove the twisted, rusty, useless pieces of rotten tin that were once exhaust heat shields. I'd got rid of the redundant ones from the driver's side when I upgraded to my HKS Super Drager a few years back, but noticed today that the ones on the other side (where the exhaust is actually routed) were doing basically nothing due to being so decayed. They've now gone to the big scrap heap in the sky! :D

At some point in the very near future I must get some time on a ramp so I can de-rust and underseal / paint the underside of my car. She looks remarkably straight up top for a vehicle that turns 17 years old this very month, but the underside doesn't half let the side down... High on my priority list now is to spray the fuel tank guard thing that sits just in front of and below the rear bumper. Scruffy AND noticeable - not good! :banghead:

That's it for now! :)

Edited by DaveR (see edit history)

• 1 month later...

No updates for a while, mainly due to the crappy weather meaning my car has been kept under wraps as much as possible coupled with the fact I haven't had a day off (Monday to Saturday) in three weeks! :shock:

I managed to get a day booked for yesterday though and squared away some new rubber for my rear wheels (overdue, to be honest...), meaning of course at some point I'll need to get my tyre sidewall paint pen out again.

The main news though was I managed to get a trip to SRR booked along with some of Ryan Griffith's valuable time. Since getting my singe turbo conversion completed, I've noticed that under certain conditions I've had a problem with boost cut. It's happened a few times, most reliably (for want of a better word) when I'm cruisng in 6th and get to 120-125mph. Throttle position, etc made no difference and nor did the traction control setting on the Syvecs ECU.

When I explained the situation to Ryan he was as baffled as me but confident we could find a solution on the rollers. As it turned out, we just couldn't replicate the conditions on the dyno' alone. The car went up to around 150mph smoothly without issue or hesitation. Ryan suggested we take the car out onto the local stretch private of road ( :innocent: ) and try to replicate the situation there. This time, like consistently malfunctioning clockwork, the boost cut kicked in exactly as it had previously. It turned out to be a case of the turbo experiencing compressor surge. Who knew...? A quick tweak of the map later (mental what a laptop can do to a car!) and the wastegates were behaving themselves, preventing the same from happening again. Result! :)

More importantly, I have to say just how impressed I was with Ryan's professional and courteous service. He was clearly busy, but at no point was he trying to rush me through to get onto the next client and he even spent time showing me how to use all the various settings on my ECU's calibration settings and very diligently and painstakingly sorting out a starting issue I've been having too. AND he charged me an extremely reasonable rate. Top top guy! :thumbs:

As an added bonus, I got hold of a 2BarTuning decal for my tailgate too, which looks very smart despite the horrendous amount of road grime covering my car at the moment... :rolleyes:

All in all, a 100% successful day! :)

Now I just need to get Suki booked in at TDI to get the corner weights sorted and the geo' realigned and I'm ready for the summer's track action... :eyebrows: