The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Suki - DaveR's ongoing single turbo project

DaveR

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They don't do corner weighting though apparently, which I'm quite keen to get done mainly to see what all the fuss is about and if it ACTUALLY makes as much difference as purported. TDI have all the gucci kit to do the whole lot in house, which is why I was thinking of them first...

They don't do corner weighting though apparently, which I'm quite keen to get done mainly to see what all the fuss is about and if it ACTUALLY makes as much difference as purported. TDI have all the gucci kit to do the whole lot in house, which is why I was thinking of them first...

Works for me as long as the price was negotiated up front, just 2 mins from me as well

:thumbs:

He did the original map too but I couldn't be there at the time. But yeah - awesome bloke, no wonder business is booming! :)

He sure is a top bloke and glad he has solved your issues - mines at SRR tomorrow and I hope he gets my baby sorted now I have the sensors fitted with new injectors/coil packs/FPR and walbro 455 fuel pump - looking for at least 575hp and no misfire:innocent:

Works for me as long as the price was negotiated up front, just 2 mins from me as well

Cool. I need to email Shaun at TDI to get booked in now that I have some dates that I can do so I'll find out what the score is and start a thread if it all works out. Watch this space... :)

He sure is a top bloke and glad he has solved your issues - mines at SRR tomorrow and I hope he gets my baby sorted now I have the sensors fitted with new injectors/coil packs/FPR and walbro 455 fuel pump - looking for at least 575hp and no misfire:innocent:

Outstanding! That's gotta be achievable... :eyebrows: Updates as they come please!

Edited by DaveR (see edit history)

No updates for a while, mainly due to the crappy weather meaning my car has been kept under wraps as much as possible coupled with the fact I haven't had a day off (Monday to Saturday) in three weeks! :shock:

I managed to get a day booked for yesterday though and squared away some new rubber for my rear wheels (overdue, to be honest...), meaning of course at some point I'll need to get my tyre sidewall paint pen out again.

The main news though was I managed to get a trip to SRR booked along with some of Ryan Griffith's valuable time. Since getting my singe turbo conversion completed, I've noticed that under certain conditions I've had a problem with boost cut. It's happened a few times, most reliably (for want of a better word) when I'm cruisng in 6th and get to 120-125mph. Throttle position, etc made no difference and nor did the traction control setting on the Syvecs ECU.

When I explained the situation to Ryan he was as baffled as me but confident we could find a solution on the rollers. As it turned out, we just couldn't replicate the conditions on the dyno' alone. The car went up to around 150mph smoothly without issue or hesitation. Ryan suggested we take the car out onto the local stretch private of road ( :innocent: ) and try to replicate the situation there. This time, like consistently malfunctioning clockwork, the boost cut kicked in exactly as it had previously. It turned out to be a case of the turbo experiencing compressor surge. Who knew...? A quick tweak of the map later (mental what a laptop can do to a car!) and the wastegates were behaving themselves, preventing the same from happening again. Result! :)

More importantly, I have to say just how impressed I was with Ryan's professional and courteous service. He was clearly busy, but at no point was he trying to rush me through to get onto the next client and he even spent time showing me how to use all the various settings on my ECU's calibration settings and very diligently and painstakingly sorting out a starting issue I've been having too. AND he charged me an extremely reasonable rate. Top top guy! :thumbs:

As an added bonus, I got hold of a 2BarTuning decal for my tailgate too, which looks very smart despite the horrendous amount of road grime covering my car at the moment... :rolleyes:

All in all, a 100% successful day! :)

Now I just need to get Suki booked in at TDI to get the corner weights sorted and the geo' realigned and I'm ready for the summer's track action... :eyebrows:

he is a very clever man and knows his ecu's this just shows that you must pick a mapper that knows the ins and outs of the ecu that you have! nice to see the supra love

• 2 weeks later...

Bit of an update...

I took my car to Torque Developments International PLC yesterday to have the geometry checked, seeing as I've been messing around with Suki's ride heights over the past couple of months. Happily, it turns out that I needn't have worried as everything was pretty much bang on as it should be, even under the scrutiny of their uber-fancy digital alignment machine. While I was there, I got them to bleed thorugh my brakes and clutch with some lovely new DOT5.1 fluid, in readiness for the track action I'm intending on getting this year. :eyebrows:

When I got home, (having finally managed to get an opportunity to try out my Syvecs launch control en route...! :eyebrows: ) I got around to re-fitting my Corbeau bucket seats as well. When I first bolted them in at the end of last year, I was a bit up against it time-wise and I've never had the warmest fuzziest feeling that the subframes etc were bolted in as firmly as they could be. That worry is now a thing of the past as I've ensured everything is nice and tight and going nowhere in a hurry! I took the opportunity to adjust the driver's seat a notch forward on the subframe as well (approx 20mm). Despite being 6'5" of Foot Guards Fury ( :D ), I think I fixed my seat a tiny bit too far rearwards to make for the best driving position. Arguably more comfortable for long journeys, but not as good for - ahem - 'spirited' driving. I've not had chance to test out this theory yet, but I replaced all of the stock allen bolts that usually hold the seat to the side-mounts with hex-head bolts, meaning I can get my ratchet spanners to bear on them now and in the future, taking a lot of the pain and swearing away from any repeat tasking... :thumbs:

Also, while I had the passenger seat out of the way I managed to (remember to...) get a photo of my rear seat delete now that it's all finished and looking rather smart with the harness bar in place. I've added it to my newly updated Garage, but here's the pic on its own:

attachment.php?attachmentid=164158&d=1360339471

Good times so far this year - bring on the better weather! :uk:

100_0824.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Something that's been bugging me for a while is the bulge in my boot carpet created by the relocated battery that sits proud of the stock board that usually covers the space saver:

attachment.php?attachmentid=164815&d=1361296626

I'd already cut said board to help hold the battery nice and snug and to make the boot more useable:

attachment.php?attachmentid=164816&d=1361296626

I figured there must be a way to make it a bit neater and even create a bit of a feature of the fact the battery is in the boot. I had in fact originally intended to incorporate a battery cover and even bought a rather fetching carbon effect one bearing the Toyota logo from eBay:

attachment.php?attachmentid=164818&d=1361296701

Sadly, despite planning how to fit this and make it look right, when it came to doing the job I rushed in and ignored everything I'd meant to do... :banghead:

Long story short, I messed it up and had to make the best of a bad situation. In the end I opted to have the top of the battery exposed, thereby still having it as a bit of a feature and also eliminating the offending bulge as well. Not exactly what I'd intended, but not bad all the same:

attachment.php?attachmentid=164817&d=1361296626

I think I'll neaten up the edges of the trimmed carpet and may even revisit the idea of incorporating the battery cover later on, but for now I'm a bit happier about it. Result! :)

100_0831.jpg

100_0833.jpg

100_0834.jpg

Battery cover.JPG

Edited by DaveR (see edit history)