The mkiv Supra Owners Club

fitting my supra with lambo doors

supra digsey

ive always wanted lambo doors on one of my cars so im thinking about doing this next year. ive seen the gas powered kits on ebay.. roughly how much will it be for a mechanic to change the hinges? please dont just say oh i dont like lambo doors as its personal taste and it will be a selling point when i come to turn it around.

Supra doors are heavy and they are long, every Supra I have seen with them the doors have sagged and the hinges bent, I've also seen very substantial Supra specific hinge kits costing £1,000+ break and cause cracking around the door frame due to the twisting forces involved.

If you do decide to go down this route you will need a very strong hinge kit and the door frame where the hinges mount will need a lot of strengthening.

As said they'll do nothing for the resale value and would put off the majority of buyers IMO.

Unique isn't always good. Lambo doors were done to the death in the 90s with corsas and civics, please leave it to the chavs. I understand your thinking but I don't in any way agree with it.

As already said, if you are getting the doors for yourself as it is your taste and what you want then by all means go for it. If, however, you think that it will increase the resale value or the appeal of the car you will be in for a shock when it comes to selling. The only interest you will gain is little chavs who can't afford it saying "haawww mannnn that'sshhhhh mintttt". Again, if that's your thing then go for it :)

With regards to the hinge kit, my understanding that the only way to do it properly is to shave the arches and get the weld on hinges. The bolt on ones will always flex as they have limited friction points. The hinge area will also need massively strengthened. Shaving the arches leaves a rather large gap between the arch and the door as well, looks unsightly but it's necessary from what I understand.

Supra doors are heavy and they are long, every Supra I have seen with them the doors have sagged and the hinges bent, I've also seen very substantial Supra specific hinge kits costing £1,000+ break and cause cracking around the door frame due to the twisting forces involved.

If you do decide to go down this route you will need a very strong hinge kit and the door frame where the hinges mount will need a lot of strengthening.

As said they'll do nothing for the resale value and would put off the majority of buyers IMO.

Good point about the weight of the doors Nic. Even if it was a decent hinge setup as I mentioned previously the added stress of the door would cause weak points to where it is bolted to the bodywork.

The best method is as ScottM mentioned or carbon fibre doors to reduce the weight on the hinge.

Though the latter will blow the budget... By quite a bit! :D

Mate you will regret it! I had them on my corsa years ago and they are a rite pain in the ass! If you look at normal doors when you open them, the edge near the wing opens out over, but Lambo hinges open in over if you understand what I mean? So this means that the door catches the wing when opened so to avoid this you need to set the door slightly back a cupple of milimeteres so in affect you have bigger gaps where the door meets the wing! ( it's not horribly noticeable) but with that I noticed that when I hit around 75-80mph the wind noise whistles through quite loud! And if I went any faster they started to shake and wobble abit!

I'm not sure if they have been improved since I had them but also if someone lifted them without opening the door fully it would grind against the A-pillar scratching the paint! This cost me to get it painted twice untill I just stoped people getting in lol

This was it if you look you can see the doors rest back onto the A-pillar:

I can't belive I thought this looked good at one point! Pmsl looking back its a propa piece of sh**t! Pmsl

Sorry for the bad spelling lol

i hve fitted many lambo door kits. they are horrible and the llifters are so powerful when new, that if you not careful the door will say hello to the front wing.... trust me dont fit them they are awful.

My best mates RX7 with doors fitted, we had to repaint the wings about 3 times due to accidents, NOW REMOVED!!!

attachment.php?attachmentid=143112&stc=1&d=1324116579

attachment.php?attachmentid=143111&stc=1&d=1324116579

DSC_0026-7.jpg

DSC_0031-6.jpg

Edited by Rob_Mitchell (see edit history)

Haha noted. :) i have a tendancy to overreact sometimes it lands me in hot water lol! hows your car going? got it garaged for winter? hopefully going to get down to a couple of meets next year once i put mine back on the road after jack frosts been :D

Garaged for the winter? It's in bits bud, don't have much choice on that front :D

I recently saw this video and thought to myself, cricky those doors don't seem to shut very well.

How bad is that! :shock:

If you thought you were cool with those doors, the moment you actually tried to shut it in front of someone would correct such matters :)

there are 4 major issues with having lambo doors on ur supra

1) no matter how good the kit is, the doors will wobble once they are up

2) no matter how good the kit is, a bad fit is almost certain, and even if it's a good fit, it goes from bad to worse after a bit of use

3) most kits require the front wings/fenders to be rolled (not the arches, but the side that is closest to the doors/hinges), this results in rust if not done properly

4) it's (long been) out of fashion :) :D

there are 4 major issues with having lambo doors on ur supra

1) no matter how good the kit is, the doors will wobble once they are up

2) no matter how good the kit is, a bad fit is almost certain, and even if it's a good fit, it goes from bad to worse after a bit of use

3) most kits require the front wings/fenders to be rolled (not the arches, but the side that is closest to the doors/hinges), this results in rust if not done properly

4) it's (long been) out of fashion :) :D

5) bit tricky to open when your on your roof in a field after going backwards through a hedge. All thanks to hitting some diesel on a gentle bend thats been driven loads at 30mph....

5) bit tricky to open when your on your roof in a field after going backwards through a hedge. All thanks to hitting some diesel on a gentle bend thats been driven loads at 30mph....

that could be the case with standard doors as well (depending on the way you land after htting some diesel on a gentle bend) :D