Actual Single Cost Discussion

Scott

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheers fella.

And yes i have simply over engineered my build for reliable performance and future upgrades.

Nothing wrong with over engineering :)

I can see what Scott is saying as the core parts required for a single build dont come to £10,000 but you have to be prepared to spend more as all the little bits add up and there are supporting mods that need considering.

Am i hearing this right?

Jaime you have wasted thousands on builds, no offense, and maybe this is why you have such high oppinions on the subject?

You guys need to really pull your heads out your own arses, what is the problem?

This subject really seems to of touched a nerve with a few people, im really sorry that i have wasted my money and

time enjoying building my project, i look forward to wasting some more money in the future.

I dont know what i have done to offend u scott good luck with your build, i hope u dont spend to much mate we dont want to upset you anymore today?

Not really sure why you think you have upset me bud, in actual fact you have brought about my point exactly. You have spent over the 10k mark doing the single yourself (tip my hat to you) along with upgrading all the necessary bits and bobs along the way to get it exactly how you want it. The fact that you have overengineered it is your choice, all I was saying is that it wasn't necessary.

My point is that it didn't need to cost you that amount of money to get your end goal, you chose your options and those options carry with them a larger spend (All wants, not needs). Does doing everything you have done add up to a more reliable single supra than engineering for the goal in mind? In my opinion it doesn't and in my opinion your goal could have been had for a lot less than 10k. I understand why you have done it that way though, I've gotten a little lucky there myself. But apparently some people think if it costs less than 10k it's going to break after 1000 miles.

As I said earlier, get a XS power kit, bolt it onto your car along with oil pump, water pump etc etc etc some UK brakes a set of alloys and some decent rubber and you have a reliable single. Don't bother with the brakes or the wheels, get a good quality turbo kit on the car and come to the same pricetag and that will be unreliable?? It's nonsense. Not directed at you, just the basis of what is classed as a reliable single and what isn't.

Not really sure why you think you have upset me bud, in actual fact you have brought about my point exactly. You have spent over the 10k mark doing the single yourself (tip my hat to you) along with upgrading all the necessary bits and bobs along the way to get it exactly how you want it. The fact that you have overengineered it is your choice, all I was saying is that it wasn't necessary.

My point is that it didn't need to cost you that amount of money to get your end goal, you chose your options and those options carry with them a larger spend (All wants, not needs). Does doing everything you have done add up to a more reliable single supra than engineering for the goal in mind? In my opinion it doesn't and in my opinion your goal could have been had for a lot less than 10k. I understand why you have done it that way though, I've gotten a little lucky there myself. But apparently some people think if it costs less than 10k it's going to break after 1000 miles.

As I said earlier, get a XS power kit, bolt it onto your car along with oil pump, water pump etc etc etc some UK brakes a set of alloys and some decent rubber and you have a reliable single. Don't bother with the brakes or the wheels, get a good quality turbo kit on the car and come to the same pricetag and that will be unreliable?? It's nonsense. Not directed at you, just the basis of what is classed as a reliable single and what isn't.

It's a gamble with XS power maifolds, some have had reliable motoring out of them, many have had cracks, or at least had to get swarf removed from the insides of the runners. I'd be half tempted to try an XS manifold if I were going to single a 2JZ again, but i'd probably stump for a Whifbitz manifold as the quality is just in a different league (plus it's supporting local business, which is a big plus in my book :) )

It's a gamble with XS power maifolds, some have had reliable motoring out of them, many have had cracks, or at least had to get swarf removed from the insides of the runners. I'd be half tempted to try an XS manifold if I were going to single a 2JZ again, but i'd probably stump for a Whifbitz manifold as the quality is just in a different league (plus it's supporting local business, which is a big plus in my book :) )

That would have been the route I was taking if I hadn't got lucky. Buying in the UK is a little more expensive but the fact that it is a "local" company would make all the difference for me. The Whifbitz kit looks absolutely cracking too.

just to point out what i mean, my car made 630bhp with stock cams and stock fuel system, just drop in injectors and pump upgrade on the fueling, still with stock fpr,

Correct me if I am wrong but your first single build (turbofit one) wasnt like this - you learnt from your experiences like everyone else.

If it was not for the pioner JP , dude. our single builds would have cost a lot more then we have paid . As we saw what they done at stages to get to a high bhp. so we can build for 600-850 bhp, with knowing what will work, With out waisting money on what we d'ont need.

Agree - a lot of people have JP to thank as he has gone through a lot of different setups and continues to....

mind you, my influences were Matt Harwood, Terry S & Pheonix's recommendations.

Correct me if I am wrong but your first single build (turbofit one) wasnt like this - you learnt from your experiences like everyone else.

Agree - a lot of people have JP to thank as he has gone through a lot of different setups and continues to....

mind you, my influences were Matt Harwood, Terry S & Pheonix's recommendations.

As mentioned earlier by Gaz, it's all you guys that have helped along the way. I wouldn't even be contemplating this if my path hadn't already been laid out for me :D

My first single was already single when i bought it, when the engine failed i had turbofit rebuild the engine and i changed the turbo to a GT4088, i learnt a lot in them days and dont regret any of it, i loved every second of it tbh.

My first single was already single when i bought it, when the engine failed i had turbofit rebuild the engine and i changed the turbo to a GT4088, i learnt a lot in them days and dont regret any of it, i loved every second of it tbh.

It was an amazing car. Do you ever miss it, even with your current one?

It was fun 5 years ago but the styling is a bit Loud for me now, I prefer my black one.

saw the black one yesterday - love the rear of the car - really looks aggressive yet subtle. when are you expecting it to be finished.....seems like a lot of work still to go.

If it was not for the pioner JP , dude. our single builds would have cost a lot more then we have paid . As we saw what they done at stages to get to a high bhp. so we can build for 600-850 bhp, with knowing what will work, With out waisting money on what we d'ont need.

Umm, I would love to believe that mate but why are we then having this discussion when the pioneers before us have supposedly already resolved the issues (and the costs).

I am first to admit that my single build consisted of buying an almost finished project from Japan (a very wise move IMO in terms of minimizing financial outlay and hiking reliability), but the fact still remains that any build cost will always depend on the end state requirements of the user and the countless number of variables that are associated with the car modifying scene; a 500BHP build is always going to be worlds apart from a 1000BHP configuration but we still insist on caveating them all as ‘singles’. I can’t see the point of throwing them all in to the same boiling pot and this is perhaps the main reason for the confusion on single build subjects, hence the evolution of this thread. There really needs to be a clear division between the single build threads with 500BHP and those with silly figures.

From my perspective, you can probably throw a very low yield single build together for a few thousand pounds where the parts are predominantly sourced from this forum and the 2nd-hand parts market. If you then want to venture in to the Whifbitz, Dude, Michel Lane, JP, Jay-world then that’s a different line of thinking with a different cash flow requirement too. I don’t think I am breaking any new ground here by saying you have to pay extra for a bigger and better capability.

The fact still remains that we are modding ‘ageing’ twin-turbo cars and converting them to levels of performance which subsequently places vast duress on the original engine components. If someone automatically assumes that they can simply bolt-on a big tubby unit and expect the engine to then survive the fight for the next umpteen thousand miles then think again - You only get out of something which you first put in.

Edited by SupraAyf (see edit history)

The fact still remains that we are modding ‘ageing’ twin-turbo cars and converting them to levels of performance which subsequently places vast duress on the original engine components. If someone automatically assumes that they can simply bolt-on a big tubby unit and expect the engine to then survive the fight for the next umpteen thousand miles then think again - You only get out of something which you first put in.

I always laugh when 'Pub experts' see my Supra occasionally, and always give the same line: "Did you know you can get 1000 reliable brake horse power with the standard engine in a Supra"

I blame the Yanks :D

saw the black one yesterday - love the rear of the car - really looks aggressive yet subtle. when are you expecting it to be finished.....seems like a lot of work still to go.

Nah that won't take long, the welder is coming Monday to finish the cage and then the interior can go back in, just waiting on a few parts so Lee can get started on the putting the engine back in, hope to be done for the end of march.

Nah that won't take long, the welder is coming Monday to finish the cage and then the interior can go back in, just waiting on a few parts so Lee can get started on the putting the engine back in, hope to be done for the end of march.

Im sure you said you would not do a project thread again which is a big shame, but maybe a picture album once the car is done????????

Cant we just come to some kind of definition?

up to 700hp = single

over 700hp= big single

would maybe put this thread to bed????

Im sure you said you would not do a project thread again which is a big shame, but maybe a picture album once the car is done????????

Cant we just come to some kind of definition?

up to 700hp = single

over 700hp= big single

would maybe put this thread to bed????

yeah i agree, i like following the threads you do on the car

Yeah JP you cant stop the build threads the are so imformative for the likes of myself with no mechanical knowledge.

I think deciding where the single to big single hp is could open a can of worms, sme would say 500 then some would say 600-650hp.

Well maybe a turbo upto 70mm is a single, and over 71mm upwards big single?

Try and total up the build of my silver car, I was the first person to build a Supra that ran a 10 sec 1/4 mile in the UK from scratch, it had twin walboros, SAFC and ITC 800 something injectors 272 cams and a BL kit with 67 Journal P trim plus a BL box and Hi stall, drove it everywhere inc TOTB where it won the RWD shootout sometimes with a Trailer tent attached, the only problems it had were when i used the HKS iridium plugs , I doubt the wholw lot owed much more than 15K at that time and it was an aero and I mean Inc the car.

Try and total up the build of my silver car, I was the first person to build a Supra that ran a 10 sec 1/4 mile in the UK from scratch, it had twin walboros, SAFC and ITC 800 something injectors 272 cams and a BL kit with 67 Journal P trim plus a BL box and Hi stall, drove it everywhere inc TOTB where it won the RWD shootout sometimes with a Trailer tent attached, the only problems it had were when i used the HKS iridium plugs , I doubt the wholw lot owed much more than 15K at that time and it was an aero and I mean Inc the car.

Show off, it's alright for some being a supra performance extrordinaire!!!

This has been a very interesting read !

For me and like most of us i have spent allot of money on my Supra all ready ! getting it the way i wanted it, even though i only planned to spend half what it costed me. Due to problems thats how it ended up, was a long hard road getting there but it all turned out great in the end.

Now

I have always wanted to go single, im not a huge power junkie and tbh BPU is enough for me anyways. BUT... i have always wanted to be in the 500 club, and as some of you know while doing my engine make over i have noticed that one of my turbo fins is not in great shape. So at some stage this will need to be sorted..

The way i see it i have a few options

Get my one reconditioned

Go Hybrid

Go single

Now going single is complicated for me as i have not done much research and there seems to be so many kits out there, I just get lost with what to go for etc etc

If i was to go single i was thinking of doing is kinda what you have done Scott, basically sourcing 2nd hand parts. I would not bother doing anything fancy though, just the bare minimum really to acheive a reliable 500. Though it seems its still going to cost between 7 to 10k min and i dont know if i want to chuck that type of money in to it again as im buying a house this year..well hoping anyways.. So now reading this maybe single wont be for me :(

Hybrids is maybe another option but again i need to find out costs etc

Well good luck with your build mate anyways.....