The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Actual Single Cost Discussion

Scott

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The £10k figure is banded around alot as that has been the approximate average cost of many people going single. It's been proven before that it can be done for less. Wether it should or not, is a different argument.

I went through this pricing process in great detail with my UK spec. By the time i'd finished, I was looking at around £12k for everything on the turbo side, plus many thousand of pounds extra for other things (brakes, bodykit, suspension etc)

It worked out far more economical (for me) to sell my UK spec for a very low price, and spend my single budget on a fresh import with the work already done. If you're trying to save money while going single, this can be by far the most economical method. However, like ANY second hand purchases, it's always a gamble.

I think the average "single build" cost will be far higher than 10k going by the things that some people want to factor into that figure. I will be round about 6k in actual single parts by the time I have everything ready and I am aiming for higher end parts, although the turbo might be considered budget going by its low cost. I would be surprised if a modest single install was any more than 5k. In fact I think it could be done for a fair bit less not including labour. The engine work and maintenence that goes along with fitting even the most modest of single installs will always bump your eventual spend though. Add in wheels, good rubber, reasonable brakes etc if you don't have any and you are up to the "average". Apparently I'm doing a budget install lol.

I did think about that (buying a bluepeter), in fact I almost went down that route (I was thinking either Jay's car or Rich UKs car) but I have put so much time, effort and money into my car that I couldn't do it all over again (putting my own touches on the car). I think I'm fairly lucky that my car is just about up to scratch without having to do too much work to it.

If you're trying to save money, don't go single full stop. :)

I'm not trying to save money, I wouldn't have a Supra lol, I'm just trying to spend my money wisely. Kind of do it once and do it right kinda thing. I won't throw money at parts and things that don't need done though.

However, where they may not need done on my car they may need done on other cars.

No way?? :)

:D

My single had MANY brand new parts on it though when I bought it, where my UK spec was 12 years old. The single was also a 6 speed manual, which reduces fuel costs significantly when driving around normally. The wheels were 18s, as opposed to the 19s on my UK, meaning cheaper tyres (18" R888s were cheaper than the 19" t1Rs I ran on my UK)

As for not liking boost, the car was used hard, very often. After a while, a few of my friends actually refused to get in the car with me, 'cause I used to scare them all sh*tless :D

My single had MANY brand new parts on it though when I bought it, where my UK spec was 12 years old. The single was also a 6 speed manual, which reduces fuel costs significantly when driving around normally. The wheels were 18s, as opposed to the 19s on my UK, meaning cheaper tyres (18" R888s were cheaper than the 19" t1Rs I ran on my UK)

As for not liking boost, the car was used hard, very often. After a while, a few of my friends actually refused to get in the car with me, 'cause I used to scare them all sh*tless :D

That makes sense now :)

I think what Scott is trying to say is fair enough really:

1. How much is the cost to single turbo a car that has had EVERYTHING done to freshen it up already (stem seals etc.) - IGNORE THE COSTS OF THE FRESHEN UP.

2. If the freshen up stuff (stem seals, nuts and bolts, gaskets etc.) had NOT been done, how much to do it all?

3. If spec prior to starting was not up to a high standard (J-Spec brakes, poor tyres etc.), how much to get it up to spec?

4. Any additional parts that would be nice but are 100% NOT NECESSARY (billet tensioners etc.), how much to add them as well?

That's how I'm reading it anyway. :)

I think what Scott is trying to say is fair enough really:

1. How much is the cost to single turbo a car that has had EVERYTHING done to freshen it up already (stem seals etc.) - IGNORE THE COSTS OF THE FRESHEN UP.

2. If the freshen up stuff (stem seals, nuts and bolts, gaskets etc.) had NOT been done, how much to do it all?

3. If spec prior to starting was not up to a high standard (J-Spec brakes, poor tyres etc.), how much to get it up to spec?

4. Any additional parts that would be nice but are 100% NOT NECESSARY (billet tensioners etc.), how much to add them as well?

That's how I'm reading it anyway. :)

Bingo.

People couple all those things together with the "going single" part of it. When in actual fact the "going single" is a fraction of the cost of the actual build that comes out of these projects. 10k is very often used as the average cost but as the average cost of what? Going single? Going single while freshening up the engine for longevity? Going single while freshening up the longevity, buying bling and fancies? Some people will say their single cost them 10k, but they will have 2k worth of cheap single turbo parts and the rest of the money is spent on brakes, wheels etc. This is not a fair comparison of what is considered a GOOD single setup. A good single setup is dependant on the parts of the actual turbo system, not all the bits you want to add on roundabout it.

I think a good single setup should cost no more than 5k in parts. If you want the best ECU and the best manifold/turbo etc you will have to add a couple of K to that price. If you want to freshen up the engine you will need to add more money dependant on what you are after.

Saying 10k+ is the mark of a good build is just crazy IMO as that can encompass all of the above options or, at the same time, only the single components. It's no wonder people get scared when talking of singles and the costs involved. I always had the idea of a single setup costing me 10k, the engine maintenence was irrelevant as that was a given anyway. I have actually been plesantly surprised at the cost of doing it, especially with how fortunate I have been so far.

Edited by Scott (see edit history)

Its all a bit " i want to go skiing" " do i need a jacket?"

its not strictly necessary but you will freeze your nads off !

It could spoil the whole experience

which skis you buy or rent or get second hand is all a bit academic - if you cant afford to go skiing-

dont!

which skis you buy or rent or get second hand is all a bit academic - if you cant afford to go skiing-

dont!

I totally agree but you can't say that it will cost someone 10k to go skiing when you don't know if they have a jacket, if they have skiis, if the jacket and skiis are in good condition. All you can supply is the cost of the trip, the rest of the stuff surrounding that trip is down to the individual.

You have actually chosen a very good example there.

If you walked into a travel agents or went onto any travel forum and asked how much it cost to go to a hotel in Mallorca for a fortnight you would be presented with a wealth of options. Not once during this discussion would the total amount of the holiday actually come up. The new clothes, the suitcases if required, the spending money for being there. All of those will vary for each individual.... drinker? smoker? healthy appetitie? You would come out knowing how much the holiday itself was going to cost, the rest of the spending would be down to individual choice and need.

dont!

I actually went skiing the other day, and asked if I needed a jacket! :D

They said yes, but I wouldn't want a jumper too. And I didn't wear gloves.

Does that help? :D

Have you only got 265 rear rears scott? may not be a single part but something you may want to change when going single??? oh btw this thread is intense!!!!!

Yeah mate, when I go single I'll be having some fun with them :innocent:

Then going for 295ish

Have you only got 265 rear rears scott? may not be a single part but something you may want to change when going single??? oh btw this thread is intense!!!!!

My 265s t1r's on my old 19" jades gripped very well on my single, much better infact than the 285 conti's on my 18s i have currently.

I see a lot of "Going single" threads and im forever seeing people install parts that i think are a total waste of time for the power they want, keep the build simple.

Take wallis, i dont mean any offence to him but cams and a full fuel systems for 500bhp? he would have been better buying a better turbo kit, spent over 10 grand and he is only 70-80bhp up on a decent bpu car.

I see a lot of "Going single" threads and im forever seeing people install parts that i think are a total waste of time for the power they want, keep the build simple.

Take wallis, i dont mean any offence to him but cams and a full fuel systems for 500bhp? he would have been better buying a better turbo kit, spent over 10 grand and he is only 70-80bhp up on a decent bpu car.

thats the advise given to me too, keep things simple... and thats my plan... just with added bling lol

It was that very thread that raised this one. I started asking questions of the costs involved for that particular gain and couldn't see where it all came from. I started this thread as apparently it takes 10k for a decent single, wheras IMO by the most popular definition of single (engine work, brakes, tyres, wheels etc etc etc) I think it would cost a minimum of 15k to do it all properly with the work being carried out for you.

The cost will be fairly similar regardless of your power goals but there should be a couple of k difference between a small single and a relatively large one. In Wallis instance I don't see the saving.

Fu*king hell Scott are u still going? Quiet day at the office was it?

You're going round in circles mate its obviously personal opinions on costs etc and every single build is different and carries different price tags, altho there are many averages. There too many variables to pinpoint a price hence my initial comment of the average cost to do a decent single.

By the way, who took the jam out of your doughnut today?

You are completely missing my point Dude, as are most of the people to be honest.

The things that you list are things that I would always have on a car with that sort of power, or at least aim to have them in as short a time as possible. My point is that all these things are all muddled into the "cost of a single build" comments. It is unfair to say a build can't be done for under 10k because you need the valve stem seals done, the oil pump done, the water pump done, UK brakes, expensive alloys, expensive tyres, etc, etc ,etc... the list is literally endless.

It is comments like "a decent single build can't be done for less than 10k" that get my back up as they are absolute nonsense. If the engine needs maintenence to get it up to spec then IMO if it isn't aftermarket parts that are required it is because the engine needs maintenence regardless of going single. My build thread shopping list contains everything I plan to do to my car in the lead up to going single. I have covered most of the things mentioned in this thread but IMO they are not part of the "Single" budget. When someone asks the question of how much does it cost to go single, some of the numbers banded about are just lunacy.... but that is because it is what THEY have paid for their kit and what THEY deem necessary to run a single car. The actual bolt on bolt off single bits will remain pretty much a constant througout certain power ranges, unless the absolute BEST must be used (or the absolute worst at the other end of the scale). I would always mention, when someone asks, that there are a lot of additional costs that normally go hand in hand with a single kit... but they are not integral to the actual single build.

Yes Scott, good point, I understand your point now and would tend to agree, to a point, a 550hp road single then yes.

Fu*king hell Scott are u still going? Quiet day at the office was it?

You're going round in circles mate its obviously personal opinions on costs etc and every single build is different and carries different price tags, altho there are many averages. There too many variables to pinpoint a price hence my initial comment of the average cost to do a decent single.

By the way, who took the jam out of your doughnut today?

Noone bud, I've given up trying to explain it to you as you can't follow my reasoning. Don't see the point in your replies though, do you not take my word that you don't get it?

That is a really good idea of the costs involved then as I thought going with a built engine would be a LOT more expensive than that.

Cross my palm with £6500 and I'll give you a block thats 3,4 with a billet crank all built etc etc (exchange for a serviceable block).

I haven't heard about anyone who has had a single turbo conversion work right first time and their car continue working as required for many thousands of miles afterwards

other than regular maintenance (oil, spark, other fluids) my car was untouched for 40K Miles running 560bhp - built by Phoenix (converted when 80Kmiles and now its over 120K).

at 120K - I decided to spend another 6K to make some changes - wasn't needed - I got bored :)