The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Actual Single Cost Discussion

Scott

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When I decided to go single originally I proberbly went middle of the road parts and I wasn't planning on a new intake manifold, fuel system, changing the brakes and wheels, changing the stock cams, new valve springs and radiator etc I think I priced it up to at around 6k ish.

That was just the basic to get single plus fitting on top obviously.

But I agree with Jamesy everyones idea of a single is different in what they want and need to do. I can and does run away with you with adding little bits here and there that soon add up.

I wish you all the best with what you decide with your build when it starts.

People couple all those things together with the "going single" part of it. When in actual fact the "going single" is a fraction of the cost of the actual build that comes out of these projects.

While I see where you are coming from the fact is that on average in order to go from stock / BPU > 500bhp + Single, in addition to the single build parts it is inevitable that supplementary works will need to be carried out to ensure that the higher powered car will be reliable and last. You are pushing OLD tired stock components to different power & stress level so a refresh will be in order and hence needs to be factored into the Going single costs. Now whether this is 10K or lower is not something is a different matter.

Is the discussion starting out from a totally stock TT (engine wise). If you have a well specced BPU car then the cost will be lower which is common sense. I thought the £10k figure was starting out from being stock (i know it cost me about that to go single on both supras I've done it with). If you have a FMIC instead of a tired stock side mount then it's the best part of a grand knocked off anyway. Are we also talking about doing it on the tightest budget therefore piggybacks over standalone ECUs? Otherwise the cost of going single could just be attributed to buying the turbo kit! :D

Edited by Kopite (see edit history)

Clutch - Southbend OFE Series Stage 3 (750ft.lbs) £440

clutch is the one i have dude, i dont like it. too heavy. in fact you've tried it out, skipping out the car park., :D thinking about changing mine to RPS. something to think about?

I have this clutch too, with Duty & fees it will work out to be £520 and not £440.

It is NOT a PUK clutch and despite that I have had several problems with the biting point, vibration & overheating + slipping in traffic. mine is feather light (feel wise) - and this is with a brand new dual mass flywheel and slave cylinder.

LeeP is going to strip the clutch and investigate (at some point) - this will be the 4th time a mechanic will be looking at this clutch (appreciate the time and cost). Once Lee investigates we will be able to hopefully pinpoint what the problem is OR whether this is the way it is meant to be (which is "shit" if it is).

to summarise - get a different setup and get it from a UK supplier.

I see a lot of "Going single" threads and im forever seeing people install parts that i think are a total waste of time for the power they want, keep the build simple.

Take wallis, i dont mean any offence to him but cams and a full fuel systems for 500bhp? he would have been better buying a better turbo kit, spent over 10 grand and he is only 70-80bhp up on a decent bpu car.

Am i hearing this right?

Jaime you have wasted thousands on builds, no offense, and maybe this is why you have such high oppinions on the subject?

You guys need to really pull your heads out your own arses, what is the problem?

This subject really seems to of touched a nerve with a few people, im really sorry that i have wasted my money and

time enjoying building my project, i look forward to wasting some more money in the future.

I dont know what i have done to offend u scott good luck with your build, i hope u dont spend to much mate we dont want to upset you anymore today?

Am i hearing this right?

Jaime you have wasted thousands on builds, no offense, and maybe this is why you have such high oppinions on the subject?

You guys need to really pull your heads out your own arses, what is the problem?

This subject really seems to of touched a nerve with a few people, im really sorry that i have wasted my money and

time enjoying building my project, i look forward to wasting some more money in the future.

I dont know what i have done to offend u scott good luck with your build, i hope u dont spend to much mate we dont want to upset you anymore today?

Sorry Matt, i hoped you would not take my comment that way.

I have spent a lot of money yes but then my car has been through many stages, what i was saying is for the power you have some of the mods was not needed, thats fine if thats what you wanted or you are looking to upgrade the turbo kit at a later stage, just to point out what i mean, my car made 630bhp with stock cams and stock fuel system, just drop in injectors and pump upgrade on the fueling, still with stock fpr, i dont feel the money you spent on the fuel system or cams has gained you any power, the cams will have lost you power at certain parts of the rev range imo.

I have spent a lot of money yes but then my car has been through many stages, what i was saying is for the power you have some of the mods was not needed, thats fine if thats what you wanted or you are looking to upgrade the turbo kit at a later stage, just to point out what i mean, my car made 630bhp with stock cams and stock fuel system, just drop in injectors and pump upgrade on the fueling, still with stock fpr, i dont feel the money you spent on the fuel system or cams has gained you any power, the cams will have lost you power at certain parts of the rev range imo.

That's useful to know great information and in my opinion the most sensible single build..! :Pling:

I really dont have a problem, its everyone else who seems too?

Just for the record i have spent no where near 10k on going single alone as i showed a breakdown earlier, i have spent half that money on other things like wheels, tyres, nice gauges, carbon fibre etc etc.

Im really happy with my build and cant wait to drive it home tommorrow and really dont care what its cost!

I really dont have a problem, its everyone else who seems too?

Just for the record i have spent no where near 10k on going single alone as i showed a breakdown earlier, i have spent half that money on other things like wheels, tyres, nice gauges, carbon fibre etc etc.

Im really happy with my build and cant wait to drive it home tommorrow and really dont care what its cost!

I think Jamies just trying to say you could of saved yourself a few more £££££ that's all for the power you have. But hey if you go for more in the future your covered happy days.

Enjoy the drive home tomorrow

I think Jamies just trying to say you could of saved yourself a few more £££££ that's all for the power you have. But hey if you go for more in the future your covered happy days.

Enjoy the drive home tomorrow

Cheers fella.

And yes i have simply over engineered my build for reliable performance and future upgrades.

Ive not looked through all 7 pages but have you an idea of what your single build is going to cost Scott? have you listed it out?

It's going to work out around 7k in single parts. Fortunately I have sorted out most of the engine so all I need is cam seals, rear main seal, pulley wheel, timing belt, anc belt and valve stem seals. I'm not factoring those into the costs of going single though, those are serivce items for me... that I would rather do for peace of mind, not because they need done :)