The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Engine bay makeover

mplavery

• Replies 123
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

looks fab mate,

what paint did you use for the turbo pipies?

in regards to the hardpipes that the vacuum's go to, im thinking of replacing them with silicone, then maybe routing them underneath the turbo pipes out of sight?

Have a look at some of the earlier posts mate, i have put a link for ya for the paint

Looking very good mate, should look awesome like it just came out the factory !

Great work fella :-)

Thanks mate

Carbon cover looks awesome!

Looking nice.

Cheers buddy

how long did it take to take the turbo and breather pipes off?

When i first started the job i thought it was going to be a bit of a nightmare but its not that bad. There is alot of breather pipes so just take your time mate. For me you really need to take the turbo pipes of at the back as the breather pipes go right down the back and is very tight to take the hoses off

i was going to say the same thing, would look mental showing the carbon off.

turbo pipes and everything you can take off in a good hour... but i have had alot of practice/jobs in.

mmmm i like the idea of having some Yellow stripes of the carbon cover just to make it different, will speak to you about it on Sat if your there as im going to pop over with my parts mate

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

what do you use to polish the metal pipework, brush, electric polisher?

Are you talking about the turbo pipes, i used Autoglym engine and machine cleaner and used plenty of it and scrubbed the hell out of them, when i was happy i left them to dry over night and sprayed them with Eastwood Aluma Blast from FROST to bring them back looking new again, i also scrubbed the hoses and clips too..There is a link for the paint in earlier posts mate

How is this going? really interested in the finished article as I was planning similar when I get time.

Not to bad mate, at the moment im polishing the exhaust heat shield which is coming up really well but still not finished yet. A friend of mine bought a polishing kit using the polishing soap bars, Really good kit so im going to get my self one too. It does take a long time though and getting a even shine is tedious job but when you see that shine its all worth it lol..I would not attempt doing cam covers though or inlet manifold...I was ment to give Rob my cam covers and inlet manifold weekend just gone but something came up at the last minute and i forgot so will be sorting out those this weekend

The more im cleaning, the more i find to be cleaned. Its taken alot longer then i thought but it should look alot better when its done

Anyways while some of the engine parts are getting chromed and trying to clean the waterpump and alternator while still on the engine as i dont want to take them off and hopefully start spraying the engine bay black

Will post some more pics up soon but here is a quick pic of the heat shield, like i said though its still not finished yet..

I dont want to chrome the heatshield mate, i dont mind polishing it now and again, its only a weekend car if that, dont really drive unless it nice and sunny lol

in that case you should be fine, i use my car daily so most of the polished stuff gets dirty and faded very quick.

you would love a chrome heatsheild mate, i got one on mine and its awesome. saves keeping ontop of it all the time

i just knew mr mitchell would be hovering in this post lol :) Looking good so far matey, speak to captain bling for some top bling parts, on that note, rob if i decide to keep my supra, what bling parts you think next?

Is there not a circling vulture smiley?! Lol. Should be if not!!

No in all seriousness, your bay is looking really nice there mate. I do plan on going the chromed heat shield route, but like you only intend using the car on the odd weekend or for shows etc. My view is there are plenty of other bits that will need polishing so I can focus on them and only have to give the chromed bits a once over.

Looking good though and love the colour of your car :thumbs:

Will be good to see it when it's all done.

Pete :)

i just knew mr mitchell would be hovering in this post lol :) Looking good so far matey, speak to captain bling for some top bling parts, on that note, rob if i decide to keep my supra, what bling parts you think next?

cant understand why you would want to sell yours anyway mate. perfect base for big single and looks stunning in general.

i like this thread, always nice to see a tidy engine bay and dont always have to be bling bling for others to appreciate the hard work gone into something.... looking great mate, i have to keep an eye on you at shows or just take a bottle of mud with me.

Cheers Chris, shame if you get rid of your car mate as yours is one of the nicest stock body Supra i have seen. I do see you around bexleyheath now and then as my girlfriend lives round there, going to try and come to the Blue water meets soon

Is there not a circling vulture smiley?! Lol. Should be if not!!

No in all seriousness, your bay is looking really nice there mate. I do plan on going the chromed heat shield route, but like you only intend using the car on the odd weekend or for shows etc. My view is there are plenty of other bits that will need polishing so I can focus on them and only have to give the chromed bits a once over.

Looking good though and love the colour of your car :thumbs:

Will be good to see it when it's all done.

Pete :)

Cheers mate, the exhaust shield has come out well so im just going to leave it as it is for the time being, like i said i dont really drive it much really, im sure i going to find more stuff to chrome lol

cant understand why you would want to sell yours anyway mate. perfect base for big single and looks stunning in general.

i like this thread, always nice to see a tidy engine bay and dont always have to be bling bling for others to appreciate the hard work gone into something.... looking great mate, i have to keep an eye on you at shows or just take a bottle of mud with me.

Cheers mate, if i see CLEAN ME writen in mud on my car i will know who to see lol

Will be coming over with the parts Sat morn buddy

• 4 weeks later...

Hey people

Due to most of the weekends being rubbish weather, I took the day off work today as i knew the weather was good to get some more done to the car.

Today i put the polished cam covers on and painted the engine bay black, Made a huge difference i think, at last its only one colour in there lol

But first look at this,, Carbon and chrome go so well together

cam covers going on [COOL][/COOL]

Here a few pics of the engine bay going to black

It does have a shine in these pics but it is matt so it does tone down a bit

This side was a pain in the ass !!! but i got it done

I also painted the upper cam cover as i notice when some people have a flash spark plug covers, the upper cam cover spoils it as it does not look as fresh as the spark plug cover..

Thought i would show you the Bling which is going on, Big thanks to Rob for polishing my bits :D

Got this custom made for me too

This will be going on

Edited by mplavery (see edit history)

Did you paint the bay with rattle can paint?

Yes mate, rattle can, came out well !

yeah hurry up and get the parts on mate

Hoping to get more on this weekend but looks like the weather going to be crap again, the main job was having good weather getting the sides painted so hopfully it is full steam ahead

lol

I know mate, im sure its not going on there, when its all done im going to offer it up to see how it looks but im 99% sure its not going on as i like the black shiny shroud too much lol

I brought the chrome shroud before i decided what i was doing with the engine bay