The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bailey's single build thread

Bailey.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah i have a large blitz one mate def recommended.

Your oil temp and pressure gaiges just got into a sandwich plate .... Yeah u can have both going into the same 'plate' :)

Is that for your engine or Box bud? But if I have these I will have oil pressure, oil temp and 2 for the oil cooler???!

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

Guys how many of you run oil coolers for the engine??? is it recommended or a must, or not

The only way to tell is to fit a temperature gauge and see what temperature it's running at. If you have a chat with Opie oils about what temperature they recommend running the oil you're using at, then if it's running too hot fit a cooler. If it's way too hot fit a bigger cooler.

The only way to tell is to fit a temperature gauge and see what temperature it's running at. If you have a chat with Opie oils about what temperature they recommend running the oil you're using at, then if it's running too hot fit a cooler. If it's way too hot fit a bigger cooler.

I think I'm going to fit one for good measure. I just need to find out how to plumb two sensors and a cooler in???

Oil cooler is a fundamental for any power increases over stock . The primary cooling system is the water system , secondary is oil , Once the water system has extracted all the heat it can , which is flow dependent ,then the oil system becomes the next heat transfer medium .

Simply ;power up and or rpms up and the oil system cannot flow enough to extract the heat , this leaves heat within the engine , that can cause premature failures and wear ; valves ,valve seats valve guides,stem seals,cracks in head ,piston rings , head bowing, plugs,pistons,head gaskets,bore wear, and increased detonation .

Oil temp guages are in fact an engine temp guage but poor at doing it as they have time delays due the nature of the oil flow and return , sump or filter temps are not the temp that the oil reaches as a maximum within the engine , for instantaneous temps cylinder head temp is far better .

Pushing higher power levels need both enhanced water cooling and oil cooling and both these require increased flow , oil coolers are a second best as they do not increase flow but increase heat exchage instead , radiators do not increase flow at all .

higher oil pump pressures do not increase flow in linear way and can blow out seals - Take care of the cooling and the engine will take care of itself , dont and it becomes a fail waiting to happen