The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Bailey's single build thread

Bailey.

• Replies 511
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If your a competent mechanic you may aswell change the bearings etc while the block is out,that way it's had a nice refresh and you can rest easy if you want to push it a bit more later on.

I dought i will BUT what parts will i need?

-piston rings

-bearings

-sump gasket

-head Gasket

-head bolts

????

Are you on a stock block mate? with what power and miles???

Yep. Stock block (only HKS cams).

Running single since 2008. 550 bhp as a starter, 626 since this year april.

GReddy intake plenum will be installed next april, plus a remap to 1.8-1.9 ... so 700+ bhp.

70k mls on the engine for the moment.

Bit rash mate, tbh 90% of builds i see are on stock bottom end with no intensions of going built, i can see for some people who are paying to have the work done it would make sense to do it while the engine is out but as im doing most of the work myself and a mechanic friend its no Great shakes if something does go bad, think i would be unlucky if it did though, not going for crazy, crazy power......

You call it rash, I call it prudent.

Yes when I did my install I was swapping engines anyway (my old engine had been lunched by the J-spec turbo blowing), so it made sense for me to do an engine rebuild. If I was doing it again though with a 16 year old engine (with the same power goals), I would still pull the engine and do a rebuild using stock OEM parts.

I think Miguel has new bearings for sale cheap ATM

I'm not sure what other bits are needed but if your doing it all you may aswell as the parts don't cost a fortune.

I think I saw some arp head bolts for sale on here aswell

-piston rings

-bearings

-sump gasket

-head Gasket

-head bolts

????

-piston rings

-bearings

-sump gasket

-head Gasket

-head bolts

????

Tony did a good thread documenting his engine rebuild HERE, unfortunately the pics are missing. Basically everything cleaned up, all tolerances checked and then see what needs to be done ie. valves reseated, new seals and shims, all bearings, seals, gaskets replaced, possibly cylinder honed and new rings, etc. CW would be the best person to advise.

It wouldnt be a massive job to do but once you put all those bits together it does add up, for a little more i could add pistons and rods, but i think it will be something for the future, I can see the cost spiralling out of control and after just buying £6k+ on single parts i wouldnt want to cut back, but do it the right way, is tempting though.............

Edited by Bailey. (see edit history)

It wouldnt be a massive job to do but once you put all those bits together it does add up, for a little more i could add pistons and rods, but i think it will be something for the future, I can see the cost spiralling out of control and after just buying £6k+ on single parts i wouldnt want to cut back, but do it the right way,

With your build I'm not suggesting fitting new aftermarket pistons, rods, etc. as it's been proven that the stock engine internals can handle a lot of power. However parts wear over time (my car was built in 1994 so basically 16 years of wear). I was just saying it would be prudent to clean everything up, check tolerances and replace with new OEM parts, if you expect to have say another 5 years of reliable use at 500+hp.

With your build I'm not suggesting fitting new aftermarket pistons, rods, etc. as it's been proven that the stock engine internals can handle a lot of power. However parts wear over time (my car was built in 1994 so basically 16 years of wear). I was just saying it would be prudent to clean everything up, check tolerances and replace with new OEM parts, if you expect to have say another 5 years of reliable use at 500+hp.

i think i may price it and see what it will work out at....

Just bought one of these puppies to add to the build, At a bargain price aswell..

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=3473.

At what hp will a greddy 2 row become restrictive??? There is so many different comments, some saying 550hp, others saying 600,700hp.

Would it be worth upgrading before or maybe see how it gets on and if it looks like it is restrictive when it is being mapped, change it at a later date???

Just bought one of these puppies to add to the build, At a bargain price aswell..

http://www.hksusa.com/products/more.asp?id=3473.

At what hp will a greddy 2 row become restrictive??? There is so many different comments, some saying 550hp, others saying 600,700hp.

Would it be worth upgrading before or maybe see how it gets on and if it looks like it is restrictive when it is being mapped, change it at a later date???

The general consesus is 500bhp, what you need is one of these http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?230187-New-Product-Whifbitz-front-mount-intercoolers you can just use the core and use your existing pipework to keep the cost down a bit. Or sell your Greddy unit as a complete kit and I can sell you half an IC pipe kit as you should have the pipework to go from the single turbo to intercooler.

Yep the banks dropping slowly but surely!! I'm in too deep now though!! You know the feeling? I also payed Paul whiffin some money today for verniers, aux pullies and catch can so he can get them all anodised in graphite, aim to go and pick up the remainder of parts for the build from whifbitz mid December when the verniers are finished and anodised! Not a bad x-mas present though! Then head down and get my hands dirty in the new year!

How's the new wheels treating you? Have u lowered it as you wanted?

Guys how many of you run oil coolers for the engine??? is it recommended or a must, or not

Id say its a must if you drive it hard, you dont need to spend a fortune, i have a driftworks kit on mine.

http://www.driftworks.com/shop/engine-tuning/toyota-engine-tuning-products/thermostatic-oil-cooler-kit-2jz-gte.html

Edited by JamieP (see edit history)