The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone regret having their car resprayed?

jevansio

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So 2 weeks min for a "decent" job. I think I might have to live with the dog look for a bit then as I can't be without it while the weather is good, it sounds like this may be a "winter" mod

Hello mate, I've just found a guy to respray mine same colour(black) and he said it'll take 2-3 weeks(it's a window out job), it's going to go in for the respray over winter aswell but the guy actually said that winter is the best time to spray a black car as the finish generally comes out better.

This is on my mind a lot at the mo to Jay, mine badly needs painting. I either want black again or the dark grey of that Lexus ISF i did a while ago. I'm gona start shopping around for quotes fairly soon and look to get it done towards the end of this year. I dont mind paying for a good job as its extremely important to me that its done properly. Its got to look good now and equally good in 2 or 3 years.

The horror stories i hear and see of spray jobs that went badly puts me off massively, especially when going for a complete colour change. Its going to be a very difficult thing to do.

My logic behind a decision such as you are about to make is this. Did you go cheap/cut corners with any stage of the many mods you have done to date? I think not mate.

The exterior of the car is, rightly or wrongly, how people ultimately judge how "good" a car is.

Based on your thoughts in this thread, it suggests to me you want your car to look good (as most of us do).

IMO your car only deserves a proper paint job, not a "blow over". Don't even consider anything but the finish it deserves. You haven't gone cheap at any stage, so don't break the chain.

I would wait till next year so you can show it off in all its glory during the summer months.

Before I got this current supra I asked the seller about a respray, he got the guy next door to phoenix to do it. He used the cheapest crappy paint on the market, and charged me £2200. I got crap looking paint cause it was very cheap, I asked for sikkens and didnt get it, and there was 37 runs and overspray everywhere. He must not have removed anything from the car and just badly masked everything.

Had to get it all done again, properly removing everything, and buying all new trims, scuttle panel etc, this time got an ace job for £2.2K including parts.

Beware of the self taught crappy sprayer.

Begining to regret doing mine....had lots of hassle with mine but there's light at the end of the tunnel now.

I asked them to flat the orange peel on the car and they have made a mess of that as well, got the car back and its booked in somewhere else.

No single turbo this year now tho

Begining to regret doing mine....had lots of hassle with mine but there's light at the end of the tunnel now.

I asked them to flat the orange peel on the car and they have made a mess of that as well, got the car back and its booked in somewhere else.

Thats gutting mate :(

Shit Jamie,

I feel bad now. I thought you had a good place sorted?:(

Still deciding on whether to have my car wrapped or not, need a few little bits to prep it done first though.

Also my friend who's doing tints but breaking into vinyl is also looking at this http://solargard.com/Auto/Clearshield

Then again protective film all over the car is like having your sofa wrapped in clear film. It's designed to be sat on / be the external layer. Why put another layer on it?

Edited by caseys (see edit history)

I had mine resprayed about 3 years ago now, it cost a little more then the usual respray but then I did have engine bits colour coded like spark cover, fan shroud, fuse boxes etc, they also done quite a few man hours on trying to blend my skirts into my doors, but I paid 3k for mine, and to be honest, its still just as good now with a good wash and a polish.

Does no one use GVN around here no more ?

http://www.gvncoachworks.com/

Im loving having mine painted satin black, nice flat effect on it, easy to clean, and the car just looks really cool, i use

auto glym car glass polish

car plan black trim wax

autosol + tcut on the headlights

and water + chamois cloth to wipe the body

if i have any paint problems, mask the car, smooth the area and paint over it, just blends straight in, hmmmm

Looks like a few of you guys on here are having a hard time when getting your cars resprayed.

Try getting a look in person of some of thier recent work and if your happy with that then your off to a good start.

Ask lots of questions and again of your not happy with the answers then walk away.

Cheers

What about that place opposite Jurgen's workshop Jay - that did the work on Ed's aerotop in Audi white?

Following this with interest as it is something I'd really like to do too.

we have 2 garages opposite mine, both do good work but need supervised to make sure its done mint..

one is better than the other we use both for different job sizes..

but eds car is very nice we also have another pearl white supra and a grey trd almost done..