The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Anyone regret having their car resprayed?

jevansio

mine is covered in stone chips despite being resprayed a few years ago. all down the sideskirts too, god knows how! The paint looks like its 15 years old. Although is got swirl marks when its polished up it does look good... untill you look close.

Keep thinking "i need the bumper sprayed... and the wings... and the skirts... and for that matter the bonnet has a few chips too... and the rear bumper has a bit of crackle in the clear coat... might be cheeper to do the whole car!"

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 months later...
Would a good spray in black not look better than a wrap in black though? I'm not getting the benefit of wrapping the same colour, would be great for a temporary colour change, but I want a deep shiney finish

Wrap will never look as good as a quality paint job, although saying that a camo wrap would be cool:cool:

how bad are the stone chips? a good detail will get rid of the swirl marks, perhaps get that done and then decide if a respray is required at this moment in time

The whole car is a mess TBH, it's well past detailing, every panel has dings and the rear arch is down to the primer :(

My respray is a year old now and I'm still happy with it. A respray never seems to hold up as well as OEM paint so I have a few stone chips on the front but it still looks great.

My paintwork is similar to yours in that it looks great for photos etc but it really needs a good detail to bring it out to its potential. That is the same with OEM paint though.

I would recommend getting the car sprayed, getting it flattened by the sprayer and then handing it to a good detailer to get it 100%.

A detail is on my list of things to have done but it just isn't high up the priority list for me.

Edit: Another option might be to try having the car detailed? If it is just swirl marks etc that is letting it down a detail should be enough. If it is stone chips etc then the respray might be the best option.

stop buying huge brake conversions and sort a repaint out lol :D only joking, i think you car looks awesome

It's the truth though :D

So is a week too short a time for a respray then, you think getting it done before SupraPod is out of the question?

Get a a well recommended body shop on the case jay and you will be happy, long way from you but you wont go wrong with Baldy, perfectionist.

A respray never seems to hold up as well as OEM paint so I have a few stone chips on the front

I find it depends who sprays it, i had a local guy spray my front lip and it chips like mad, then i had Baldy spray it for me and never a stone chip in sight.

this is the problem with a black car Jay, it will always attract bloody stone chips, iv just had my bonnet and bumper done again, Im pretty sure i'll be having it done another time in there near future.

Unless there is a way to mix the paint to it dont chip as easy as it does is the only way round it.

Wrapping iv looked into, but as said above it wont look anywhere near as good when all polished up.

Get a a well recommended body shop on the case jay and you will be happy, long way from you but you wont go wrong with Baldy, perfectionist.

I find it depends who sprays it, i had a local guy spray my front lip and it chips like mad, then i had Baldy spray it for me and never a stone chip in sight.

Simon (baldy) Does a great job I've seen a few of his jobs:) He is also a paid up trader:taped:

I had the front end of my car wrapped in clear vinyl and to be honest it was quite obvious as it didn't polish up anything like laquer does.

Cheers for the input Dunk, that's good to know :)

Whats the opinion on the quality of the Toyota paint job,some makes seem to wear better than others B.M.W and V.A.G group spring to mind.

I think the original paint is great, it's just mine has too many dings & scuffs, not just normal wear & tear

Yeah finding a well recommended one is the trouble. It needs to be local though, I can't be bothered to travel :D

this is the problem with a black car Jay, it will always attract bloody stone chips, iv just had my bonnet and bumper done again, Im pretty sure i'll be having it done another time in there near future.

Unless there is a way to mix the paint to it dont chip as easy as it does is the only way round it.

Wrapping iv looked into, but as said above it wont look anywhere near as good when all polished up.

Wrapping is out now for me, if it ain't as good as paint it ain't going on.

The car is that bad that it needs a spray desperately now, people at SupraPod will see for themselves unless I can get it done in under 2 weeks.

Anyway back to original question, how long does a respray take? :D

You could get it done in less than a fortnight if they dropped virtually everything for you and worked their tits off. Not sure if you would find a place to do that at such short notice though. I think a respray would take about a weeks worth of work? Can't be sure though, obviously the trade guys will know better :)

Every colour gets chips, dings and scatches its just that black shows them up far worse than any other colour.

If you have a proper respray done with windows out then it should be as good as new, the problem is finding somewhere that does a proper job.

You could get it done in less than a fortnight if they dropped virtually everything for you and worked their tits off. Not sure if you would find a place to do that at such short notice though. I think a respray would take about a weeks worth of work? Can't be sure though, obviously the trade guys will know better :)

Cheers mate, I'm thinking me being mint for SP is unlikely then, seeing as I haven't even found a place yet

I have always wanted a respray, but want to know if anyone who was in the same position as me regrets it after their car is back to the way it was after a couple of years?

Not at all Jay mate, Top Secret did a great job on mine. If you post your car to them then you'll have it back by Xmas:d