Graham S

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Had my car in for MOT yesterday. Failed on rear brake binding which is no biggy. The funny thing was it also failed on its emmissions. CAT fitted but she hasnt been properly tuned since NA-T. He said he had put it into his system and came out with my vehicle, Supra non turbo which i thought was really odd as i thought they were unknown on the system.

• 5 months later...

Just had mine fail on first and second fast idle .....he told me that he had found a non turbo supra on the database and tested it as such , I am however confused as he says its the lambda that it failed on , now I have cut the lambda wires in the past when I put the decat on but am wondering if I have a faulty re-connection on one of them ......also, am I right in thinking that this faliure has nothing to do with having or not having cats fitted ? By the way , I have the second cat fitted and a whifbitz 1st decat now.

Your car should have a 'non CAT test', which it should pass if your car is in good working order. There is no 2JZGE/JZA80 Supra on the database as there was never an NA Supra officially sold in the UK, all UK Supras were twin turbos ie. the 2JZGTE/JZA80 Supra. Print this out and go back to the MOT centre, it is taken from the MOT Inspection Manual, page 9, section 7.3, note where it says an 'exact match'.

The wires you will have cut when fitting the decat pipe will be the CAT temp sensor not the O2/Lambda sensor, on an NA the 2 x O2 sensors are mounted to the 2 x cast exhaust manifolds not the cats.

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/9263/picture1nq.jpg

Edited by Nic (see edit history)

Your car should have a 'non CAT test', which it should pass if your car is in good working order. There is no 2JZGE/JZA80 Supra on the database as there was never an NA Supra officially sold in the UK, all UK Supras were twin turbos ie. the 2JZGTE/JZA80 Supra. Print this out and go back to the MOT centre, it is taken from the MOT Inspection Manual, page 9, section 7.3, note where it says an 'exact match'.

The wires you will have cut when fitting the decat pipe were the CAT temp sensor not the O2/Lambda sensor, on an NA the 2 x O2 sensors are mounted to the 2 x cast exhaust manifolds not the cats.

http://imageshack.us/a/img560/9263/picture1nq.jpg

I originally cut the two Lambda wires to fit an "OBX" manifold (I think it was) and connected them both to a single 3rd party lambda on the OBX but having changed and gone with the whifbitz 1st decat and standard manifolds I re-connected the Lambda wires back up as they originally were meant to be and now I wonder if I have a faulty connection and if this would become a faliure fault ?....car runs lovely .....the cat temp sensor is tied up out of the way.

Edited by trebor69 (see edit history)

Guest Roger NE

My Mk3 Engine (7M-GE) always had exhaust emissions that were BETTER than the WITH CAT test requirements! And that is despite having removed the Cat that was originally fitted on the car.

Fast Idle Test

CO 0.008 %

HC 31 ppm

Lambda 1.014

Natural Idle

CO 0.000

Surely the 2JZ-GE is capable of doing the same? (curious as I now have one fitted and MOT is due in a couple of months!)

What is the deal with seatbelts/harnesses for MOT?

I have a Recaro SPG so can put harnesses through it so have been considering them anyway, but this ties in with my driver seatbelt sometimes failing to retract properly.

If I was to fit harnesses, do I have to remove the seatbelt to pass an MOT (thinking based on the whole "if it isn't there to test then it can't fail" thing, like with lack of windscreen passing, but cracked windscreen failing etc.)? Will having just harnesses even pass an MOT?

I haven't looked into it before to have any idea :)

I hope the numpty Technician bought you a pint for training him how to do what he's paid for.

They aren't a bad lot really, to be honest its the best garage I've ever used and I grew up hanging around garages, they are now aware of the N/A Supra and I (or any other N/A for that matter) will always have the CORRECT non cat test there :D

- - - Updated - - -

My belts don't retract properly but there was no mention of them ;)

My Mk3 Engine (7M-GE) always had exhaust emissions that were BETTER than the WITH CAT test requirements! And that is despite having removed the Cat that was originally fitted on the car.

Fast Idle Test

CO 0.008 %

HC 31 ppm

Lambda 1.014

Natural Idle

CO 0.000

Surely the 2JZ-GE is capable of doing the same? (curious as I now have one fitted and MOT is due in a couple of months!)

My exact results were

CO=0.00

HC=5

Lambda=1.160, this is where the problem was but it was down to a faulty connection in the wire (had previously cut it for a decat)

These readings are with a whifbitz 1st decat but 2nd cat still in place .

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

I have a question; I was told today by two police officers that any aftermarket exhaust fitted to a car which makes it louder than stock IS ILLEGAL, according to the legislation. If this is true, how is everyone here getting away with their 3"/4" decats which can be heard from miles away?! I've been pulled 3 times now this week just because of a loud exhaust

• 1 month later...

My MOT is due next month and I've just had the NA-T Whifbitz conversion which now means I have no cats and a very noisy exhaust system! Not sure if this is gonna pass.... Do they have to have a cat visible for the MOT? The emissions aren't usually a problem but hopefully they won't be a problem this year either. Keeping my fingers crossed, otherwise going to have to do some mods if it fails!

• 2 months later...
I have a question; I was told today by two police officers that any aftermarket exhaust fitted to a car which makes it louder than stock IS ILLEGAL, according to the legislation. If this is true, how is everyone here getting away with their 3"/4" decats which can be heard from miles away?! I've been pulled 3 times now this week just because of a loud exhaust

It appears so regards the illegal Exhaust noise, but like alot of legislation it's a matter of who can be bothered to enforce it/ or as and when they see fit, as on the following link

https://www.gov.uk/noise-pollution-road-train-plane/vehicle-noise-limits

Quote:

Modified exhaust systems

It’s illegal to modify the exhaust system to make a vehicle noisier after it has been ‘type approved’ (checked it meets environmental and safety standards).

The police can also take action if your vehicle’s silencer doesn’t work in the way it was designed or if you’re driving in a way that creates too much noise.

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

my rear plate complies with bs 145a, and my front plate is not traceable on npr ( number plate recognition), i have done this for several years as the plods have pulled me several times all based on the rear plate not complying, i have no problem with the rear plate as the front plate is the problem if you drive quickly, yes the "sniper vans" (vascar), these things hit you up to 500 meters ahead of you, usually in a secluded place, you are done before you see that they are there, this is 3 points, and a heavy fine, and over the "one er" in england you are arrested and banned for 12 months, loss of job, etc. I was lucky in scotland comming over beatock at 132mph, got 3 months ban, proculator fiscal in dumfries, £850, and gavin oarr top local barister another £750, but saved me from a 12 months ban, but no road side arrest as in england.

I moved to fast cars from fast bikes, the latter does not have a front number plate.

Number plates are not a "moving traffic" offence at the moment, either a warning or a fine, no points, etc. and in many districts the plods are reasonable, apart from the rear plate,this is important to them as they follow you and do the npr check.

BUT now we are on the "no tax disc system", even local authority dudes are being given npr check instruments and like traffic wardens you know what they will do.

My front plate has a bs 145a plate behind it in a letter box hinged show plate housing, i just say i have been to a show and forgot to change it over.

In rural areas with parked cars, kids, etc, i do not speed, just on m/ways and out in the sticks.

I think grahams is a great guy helping all members, keep it coming. herbiemercman.

Edited by herbiemercman
added extra text. (see edit history)