The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT questions and queries answered...

Graham S

Tricky question that. The rules on plates keeps changing constantly, one minute all cars from 2001 must have postcodes and BSu numbers next minute they dont. Cars pre 2001 is ok to have anything really. But gotta be white front, orange rear. Plus, letters have to be of equal height and width. I'm pretty sure the plate has to be a set size, which is either the normal oblong or jap type square. I'd have to check in the book tomorrow if there is physically anything to say the exact sizes and that but can let you know tomorrow.

Did you find the confirmation of this at all Graham?

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did you find the confirmation of this at all Graham?

Hi dude, sorry for the late reply,

Manual says as follows:

INFO:

-Letters/figures must be of equal width along their entire length.

-Letters or figures of a particular style eg. 'computer' or 'sloped' are not regarded as a reason for rejection unless it is likely to be misread

METHOD OF INSPECTION:

-Check their is a plate fitted front and rear

-Check for security

REASONS FOR REJECTIONS:

-Missing or incorrect

-So insecure its likely to fall off

-Letter or figure missing or incomplete

-Faded, dirty, deteriorated or obscured, for eg. towbar, so its likely to be misread from approx 20 metres

-A plate with

-letters or figures obviously incorrectly spaced

-a letter or figure incorrectly formed or likely to be misread

-a letter or figure which is obviously not equal width along its length

-any feature on a plate that has the effect of changing the appearance or legibility of any carecters so that the true identity of the vehicle is less easily identified

Thats it!

Now, we did get a ammendment come through a while back regarding plates on cars from Sept 1st 2001(as in cars made on or after this date)

this is as follows,

-gap between letters and figures must be at least double the gap between the adjacent letters or figures. eg. A123 ABC. The gap after the 3 must be at least double to the A

-Characters must be 79mm high, 50mm width (except 1 or I, where stroke width must be 14mm)

11mm between letters/figures

minimum 11mm margin around letters figures.

So in short! I'd say running a stock rear plate is cool and a small front plate is fine, as long as it can be read from 20 metres...

Hope that helps mate.

Useful service :)

Does the above apply to imported TT's pre '95 as they don't have a match on the system? I've been told by another garage this is the case, could you confirm?

Thanks Jon

Imported TT still uses the 2JZ-GTE engine which means it is in the database so has the stock CAT/BETS test limits....

You need to find yourself a friendly tester mate!;)

Basically, a Supra TT is in the system, be it a UK or J-spec it still has the same engine code, so is stuck with the tiny limits mate....

Sorry!

• 4 months later...
Tricky question that. The rules on plates keeps changing constantly, one minute all cars from 2001 must have postcodes and BSu numbers next minute they dont. Cars pre 2001 is ok to have anything really. But gotta be white front, orange rear. Plus, letters have to be of equal height and width. I'm pretty sure the plate has to be a set size, which is either the normal oblong or jap type square. I'd have to check in the book tomorrow if there is physically anything to say the exact sizes and that but can let you know tomorrow.

Does that mean everyone that is yellow fails?:innocent::eyebrows:

• 3 months later...

Just had an MOT today and it failed due to the front plate having, "character(s) which are not the correct height" and "character(s) which are not the correct width". I overheard the guy who tested it say, "I let the rear plate off as its imported but the front I can't pass". They also provided me with a photocopy of the regulations for "Registration Plates and Vehicle Identification Number" and he has marked 6.3 Note 2 which states the following;

"Imported vehicles whose construction/design cannot accommodate standard size number plates are permitted to display registration plates with smaller characters, in line with those for tricycles and quadricycles detailed in the table. Their margins and vertical space between groups may also be reduced to 5mm"

Now my front plate is on the small side but is still distinguishable.

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=17078&d=1271170125

And the Rear is a standard Jap spec plate...

vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=17373&d=1273866193

So I'm slightly confused.

• 4 weeks later...
Just had an MOT today and it failed due to the front plate having, "character(s) which are not the correct height" and "character(s) which are not the correct width". I overheard the guy who tested it say, "I let the rear plate off as its imported but the front I can't pass". They also provided me with a photocopy of the regulations for "Registration Plates and Vehicle Identification Number" and he has marked 6.3 Note 2 which states the following;

"Imported vehicles whose construction/design cannot accommodate standard size number plates are permitted to display registration plates with smaller characters, in line with those for tricycles and quadricycles detailed in the table. Their margins and vertical space between groups may also be reduced to 5mm"

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=17078&d=1271170125

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=17373&d=1273866193

Hi Fitz.

A few people went through this this year. There's quite a lengthy thread on it. Basically you can get a three quarter plate for the front but police will still pull you even if you have the MOT.

Best way forward is to get a bog standard plate for the front. I'd order from Craigs plates who have had dealings with the club in the past and will guarantee you are legal with all the border and spacing rules.

I have a very nice three quarter plate but don't want the hassle of being pulled again.

Rear plate is of a size to fit the bodywork so is exempt.

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=17078&d=1271170125

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/vbpgimage.php?do=full&p=17373&d=1273866193

Hi dude,

sorry, totally missed this somehow... I'll have a check in the manual again tomorrow as to what is the current state of play regarding plates but in all honesty I think you've been a little harshly done over there!

Does anyone know if the number plate holder for UK and J-Specs are the same for the front? I know my UK holds a standard sized plate perfect but my Orange car doesn't have one! Anyway i'm still sure its only 2001> cars that can be picky about nmber plate sizing! Like I said, will double check and get back to you, sorry again for missing it, you should drop me a PM to say you'd posted!

Hi Fitz.

A few people went through this this year. There's quite a lengthy thread on it. Basically you can get a three quarter plate for the front but police will still pull you even if you have the MOT.

Best way forward is to get a bog standard plate for the front. I'd order from Craigs plates who have had dealings with the club in the past and will guarantee you are legal with all the border and spacing rules.

I have a very nice three quarter plate but don't want the hassle of being pulled again.

Rear plate is of a size to fit the bodywork so is exempt.

Crazy thing is, I think its down to where you live, If you look in my garage I had black/silver plates on my UK, with the spacing blatantly in the wrong place AND the front plate was tiny. Would of fit a motorbike! Had them on for months like it too and never once got pulled or a telling off! And I did drive past police cars! Maybe Hampshire/Berkshire Police are not so anal on it all!

Hi mate, hows the car coming along?

To be honest, not to sure, I think the wording is something along the lines of - compared to one of a similar specification with original parts fitted, in original condition. But my boss has missed out on this one I think, we get plenty of cars in with big exhausts and he hasn't failed them! But then we had a TVR in yesterday and that was loud as hell, and it was on a stock exhaust! I think yours would be fine though seeing as its far from original and you'd get through emissions no problem as its not a listed engine for a supra.

So just to confirm, I have a N/A currently has cats installed with stock exhaust. I'm going to be upgrading this and having both cats removed, are you suggesting that it should be pass on emissions? I know that it will because I know the guy that would be performing the MOT :D

So just to confirm, I have a N/A currently has cats installed with stock exhaust. I'm going to be upgrading this and having both cats removed, are you suggesting that it should be pass on emissions? I know that it will because I know the guy that would be performing the MOT :D

In theory mate, yeah, with or without a 'mate' doing it, as long as the tester has his head screwed on a notices its not a GTE then it'll pass.

In theory mate, yeah, with or without a 'mate' doing it, as long as the tester has his head screwed on a notices its not a GTE then it'll pass.

I second that. Mine passed 2 months ago after double decat, custom racing manifold and custom racing exhaust fitted. :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

i've just done a quick rear fog light conversion, basically just rewired one of the reverse lights and turned it into the fog, it has the button on the dash that lights up when it's on so thats fine but.. i had to paint the rear bulb with red glass paint as i couldn't find a red one in that type.. it is kinda pink when lit up though, not white but definately not as red as the normal rear lights.. you reckon this will fail? i tried to take a pic but it just wouldn't show up the colours very well.

thanks.

i've just done a quick rear fog light conversion, basically just rewired one of the reverse lights and turned it into the fog, it has the button on the dash that lights up when it's on so thats fine but.. i had to paint the rear bulb with red glass paint as i couldn't find a red one in that type.. it is kinda pink when lit up though, not white but definately not as red as the normal rear lights.. you reckon this will fail? i tried to take a pic but it just wouldn't show up the colours very well.

thanks.

i shall be getting you and kieran to give me a hand doing this when the time comes in june ;) ive got a site for bulbs, ill fire you the link on msn dude

thanks.

All depends on the tester mate, if it's not far off the same as your normal rear lights you might get away with it..

Have you tried nail polish, should last long enough to get through an MOT without getting to hot!

Not trying to take the hit and miss, but you have wired up the offside reverse as the fog? :blink:

thanks.

I just used bulb paint from Halfords and passed my MOT on friday.

All depends on the tester mate, if it's not far off the same as your normal rear lights you might get away with it..

Have you tried nail polish, should last long enough to get through an MOT without getting to hot!

Not trying to take the hit and miss, but you have wired up the offside reverse as the fog? :blink:

i wired up the drivers side rear reverse light... i'm thinking it may be too pink tbh

I just used bulb paint from Halfords and passed my MOT on friday.

me and kieran went to halfords and they didn't have it, i remember they used to sell it though. :/

i wired up the drivers side rear reverse light... i'm thinking it may be too pink tbh

me and kieran went to halfords and they didn't have it, i remember they used to sell it though. :/

Thats cool... Honest, try nail varnish, polish, whatever its called, Worked ok for me last time.

Yeh I found it in a clearance bit (although still a tenner, wtf?) there were only 2 bottles left. You're welcome to use some if you want.

yeah that would be mucho helpful, just incase i bought the wrong nail varnish or sumfink lol

... only thing is i can't come get it from you... as i have no MOT right now.. :D