The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT questions and queries answered...

Graham S

I would unhook them from that loom if it's affecting the indicator and use the sidelight loom and just have 1 set of sidelights.

Indicators must not flash less than 60 times a minute, or more than 120 times a minute. So probably a failure, yes.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I would unhook them from that loom if it's affecting the indicator and use the sidelight loom and just have 1 set of sidelights.

Indicators must not flash less than 60 times a minute, or more than 120 times a minute. So probably a failure, yes.

Ben it was doing that before I had wired anything in, Ill check all the bulbs physically.

The wiring for the LED side lights defo came from the side light loom.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Ben.

Can you clarify what is required for indicators on a car for MOT time.

Obviously the front and rear need standard placements...but what about the side view of the car?

The reason I ask is I have seen some cars with no indicators on the front arches and surely this is an MOT fail as you wouldn't be able to see the indication from the side view of the car.

Thanks

http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs/m4s01000401.htm

Lamps incorporating a side repeater are marked either with an ‘E’ mark in a circle or an ‘e’ mark in a rectangle above which is a number 5. However, some vehicles are fitted with a wraparound lens with no European approval markings. These can be tested by standing approximately 1000mm to the side of the vehicle’s rear bumper with the indicator on. If amber light can be seen coming through the front lens (not a reflection) this is acceptable.

Basically, you only have to have 2 indicators (each side) IF the front one is a wrap around lens. I.e. If the indicator faces the front AND side of the car. (Basically anything on the front corners) However, it must only flash between 60-120 times a minute. So just removing the side repeaters altogether is not acceptable. Also, if it has a side repeater, it has to be tested.

Thanks for the help guys. So I am assuming that you cant see the supra indicators from the right places and you defo need side repeaters.

Really wanted to remove the ones in the arches for a smooth look...but don't want any grief at MOT time...

Go Facelift?

• 4 weeks later...

My Supra failed its MOT yesterday on 2 points (1 advisory also). Can anyone throw some light on the matter as im unsure if im being takin for a fool. I can be quite a short tempered c**t when someone takes the piss so im getting my facts right before i confront my MOT man.

Reasons for refusal

001 Offside headlamp aim too high [1.8] (im not bothered about this as its a 2 second fix)

002 Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition.[7.1.4]

I have an Ebay special exhaust (3" single box with 3" 2nd decatt) 1st catt is still in.

Cheers in advance for any advice guys.

I took my car for a re-test on Saturday, while I was there I had a chat with the guy who owns the place, he's been doing my MOT's for 12 years, so he knows me and my car quite well. I asked him about exhaust noise, he said that their aren't any strict guidlines regards exhaust db, he said the MOT testers use their own discretian, they have to consider if the exhaust is in keeping with the car, if someone has fitted a badboy exhaust to a Corsa then is will most likely fail, however if is a Supra or similar they would probably pass it providing the volume isn't "excessively" loud.

Also, with regards to de-cats, he said they could fail the exhaust on the basis that it is "incomplete", as it deviates too far from the original system fitted at the factory.

My Supra failed its MOT yesterday on 2 points (1 advisory also). Can anyone throw some light on the matter as im unsure if im being takin for a fool. I can be quite a short tempered c**t when someone takes the piss so im getting my facts right before i confront my MOT man.

Reasons for refusal

001 Offside headlamp aim too high [1.8] (im not bothered about this as its a 2 second fix)

002 Exhaust noise is clearly in excess of that emitted by a similar vehicle fitted with a standard silencer in average condition.[7.1.4]

I have an Ebay special exhaust (3" single box with 3" 2nd decatt) 1st catt is still in.

Cheers in advance for any advice guys.

Headlight aim/adjustment the only item a tester can adjust/touch to get the car through a test, sounds like the bloke is an idiot as your car obviously never failed on nothing else up till the emmissions test... so being picky. Noise limits dont even come into a test unless ridiculously loud ect.,, but thats testers discretion

Headlight aim/adjustment the only item a tester can adjust/touch to get the car through a test, sounds like the bloke is an idiot as your car obviously never failed on nothing else up till the emmissions test... so being picky. Noise limits dont even come into a test unless ridiculously loud ect.,, but thats testers discretion

No mate it passed emissions, he just said its too loud. It is clearly louder than a similar car with a standard system. To make matters worse the same tester passed it last year.