The mkiv Supra Owners Club

MOT questions and queries answered...

Graham S

Graham, very useful thread. Just wondering what this means for UK spec cars? Never even attempted to use the headlight washers so hope they work come MOT time but I'm not sure if the lights have auto height correctors fitted, would you know if they were fitted from the factory?

UK's don't have auto headlight levelling so that's not a problem. As for the washers, in theory, they don't have HID as standard so shouldn't need testing. :)

• 5 months later...
  • Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Firstly sorry this is not Supra related but I could really do with some MOT advice please.

I took the MR2 for it's MOT today and it has failed it's emissions test. The car is a 1995 Japanese import SW20 MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo (3S-GTE) with no cats fitted and Blitz NUR R exhaust. The turbo MR2 was never officially sold in the UK, all MK2 UK MR2's are NA's (3S-GE), I watched as the mechanic did the emissions test and he tested it as a 3S-GE non-turbo MR2 - the only option on the software they had.

My (limited) understanding was that because it was a 3S-GTE import it should have been tested under different criteria which I explained, so the tester called VOSA for clarification and they told him that because it was a 95 MR2 it must have a catalytic convertor fitted and it should be tested the same as the 3S-GE UK MR2, unless I had an import document that exempted the car.

The car was imported into the UK brand new in 1995 and I have a huge folder of documentation including the original import documents and all the previous MOT certificates, so the car has passed many MOT's in the past with the same modifications.

This is the first MOT I've had to do in the UK for many years so I'm not that clued up on what is what, can someone help please? :thanks:

I've been reading through the VOSA MOT emission testing rules :rulez:

My Japanese import MR2 3S-GTE was first registered brand new in the UK on the 18th July 1995, now my understanding of the rules is that any car registered before 31st August 1995 that doesn't appear on their list of vehicles as an exact match - they only list the UK SW20 3S-GE non turbo - should be tested to non-catalyst standards, is this correct?

• 4 weeks later...
Firstly sorry this is not Supra related but I could really do with some MOT advice please.

I took the MR2 for it's MOT today and it has failed it's emissions test. The car is a 1995 Japanese import SW20 MR2 Rev 3 GT Turbo (3S-GTE) with no cats fitted and Blitz NUR R exhaust. The turbo MR2 was never officially sold in the UK, all MK2 UK MR2's are NA's (3S-GE), I watched as the mechanic did the emissions test and he tested it as a 3S-GE non-turbo MR2 - the only option on the software they had.

My (limited) understanding was that because it was a 3S-GTE import it should have been tested under different criteria which I explained, so the tester called VOSA for clarification and they told him that because it was a 95 MR2 it must have a catalytic convertor fitted and it should be tested the same as the 3S-GE UK MR2, unless I had an import document that exempted the car.

The car was imported into the UK brand new in 1995 and I have a huge folder of documentation including the original import documents and all the previous MOT certificates, so the car has passed many MOT's in the past with the same modifications.

This is the first MOT I've had to do in the UK for many years so I'm not that clued up on what is what, can someone help please? :thanks:

Sorry for the late reply to this. Missed it again!

Yes basically you are right. As it is an import and the 3S GTE isn't listed under the MR2 section then it should be tested under the default criteria.

As for being told that it should be tested as a UK is wrong and I can't believe they would have said to do that..

I've been reading through the VOSA MOT emission testing rules :rulez:

My Japanese import MR2 3S-GTE was first registered brand new in the UK on the 18th July 1995, now my understanding of the rules is that any car registered before 31st August 1995 that doesn't appear on their list of vehicles as an exact match - they only list the UK SW20 3S-GE non turbo - should be tested to non-catalyst standards, is this correct?

That's exactly right. Can't believe they are even questioning it. There is a graph on the MOT computer showing the route to go down regarding this matter.

• 2 weeks later...

This is annoying. Supra is in the garage, having had all its brake and fuel pipes replaced but now is awaiting MOT.

The garage are telling me it will fail on the plates as they are worng size letters and also do not display the plate manufactureres postcode. I told them it was an import and pre 2001 but the MOT is adamant about the postcode. When I pushed him with "So you are saying that every car post 1973 will have t ohave new plates made for this years MOT, if they haven't already" he said "yes". I'm sure that would have made the news were it true.

Sidelights are due to fail as being "too blue" desppite being white lights, but they do have a blue tinge to them, but also he says main headlights have no beam patterns. This is surprising, where has my beam pattern, present for the last 17 years, gone?

Could the new bulbs, Halfords super-duper Brite-Bulbs2000 be causing this problem?

I'm going to take it home and probably go somewhere else now.

This is annoying. Supra is in the garage, having had all its brake and fuel pipes replaced but now is awaiting MOT.

The garage are telling me it will fail on the plates as they are worng size letters and also do not display the plate manufactureres postcode. I told them it was an import and pre 2001 but the MOT is adamant about the postcode. When I pushed him with "So you are saying that every car post 1973 will have t ohave new plates made for this years MOT, if they haven't already" he said "yes". I'm sure that would have made the news were it true.

Sidelights are due to fail as being "too blue" desppite being white lights, but they do have a blue tinge to them, but also he says main headlights have no beam patterns. This is surprising, where has my beam pattern, present for the last 17 years, gone?

Could the new bulbs, Halfords super-duper Brite-Bulbs2000 be causing this problem?

I'm going to take it home and probably go somewhere else now.

[devil's advocate]

You can't use small letters/plates just because it's an import.

All plates fitted after 31 August 2001 (IIRC) should have the postcode. If your car was first registered in the UK after 31 August 2001...

[/devil's advocate]

• 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...

If they come on with the rears and no. plate lamps, are a matched pair and emit none other than a steady white light, should be fine. Just use the existing wiring to run them. That way they will run off the sidelight switch and will effectively be repositioned sidelights.

What are the regulations on having the facelift wing indicators as 'sidelights', illuminating amber when the sidelight switch is on and not flashing (as per the US)?

Never actually looked into that to be honest. Technically, transits have amber side markers, but they're only 5 watt and 21watt indicators.

Years ago, back when I had a mk2 fiesta, i had clear indicators. In them I drilled a hole to which I fitted a side light bulb holder and fitted an amber bulb. Scotch locked the wires into the side light and had amber indicators that got brighter when I actually indicated. Looked the nuts!

Hi Ben

I have managed to wire up some DRL as the side lights (see below), I was quite lucky, there seemed to be 2 wires coming from the existing wiring and I just tapped into those.

attachment.php?attachmentid=164456&stc=1&d=1361121246

When I run the indicators (both left and right) they flash very fast which suggests there not getting the correct volt but all bulbs are working fine (could be to do with the new side lights not sure if its linked).

Anyway with this "faster flashing" would I fail an MOT?

DRL.jpg