The mkiv Supra Owners Club

jacking points bending/damaged

downimpact

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know this is a real newbie question and I'll probably get slated for it :), but is the differential the bulbous bit mid-way between the rear wheels? I want to make sure I'll be jacking it up at the right place.

Incidentally, is this why some (all?) trolley jacks are fitted with a cup on the jacking point, so it mates with the differential housing?

Yup, the diff is the bit in the middle of the rear subframe where the prop goes in and the two drive shafts come out ;)

I normally use a 2" thick wooden plank on top of the jack as well. (With a nice little groove in it)

Useful stuff thanks all. The jack hunt is on any recommendations, preferably something reasonably light to take to track days etc and low enough to get under a low car.

I'll get you some info, i have a low light weight trolley jack i carry in the boot. Think its under 20 kilos but will double check and post up later.

Its still a good idea to get 2 pieces of wood like in the pic i posted as that makes life so much easier with a low car.

Mines the Sealey version but guess its probably the same jack just stickered up differantly.

I only use mine for changing a wheel on the side of the rd so other than making sure it worked a few times in the workshop its just sat in the boot.

I have other jacks for daily use so ive no idea how long it will last if used every day.

DSCF1708.JPG

DSCF1707.JPG

I know this is a real newbie question and I'll probably get slated for it :), but is the differential the bulbous bit mid-way between the rear wheels? I want to make sure I'll be jacking it up at the right place.

Incidentally, is this why some (all?) trolley jacks are fitted with a cup on the jacking point, so it mates with the differential housing?

Look under the car at the back.

Diff1.jpg

Mines the Sealey version but guess its probably the same jack just stickered up differantly.

I only use mine for changing a wheel on the side of the rd so other than making sure it worked a few times in the workshop its just sat in the boot.

I have other jacks for daily use so ive no idea how long it will last if used every day.

Cheers fella, looks the same but in a nice shade of red. If I can't find anything better will just have to go for this sort. Everything else I've seen is over £200.

• 5 months later...
it may be a good idea for someone to take a diagram and show where to jack and put axle stands all round the car......

Unless its already on the forum lol

There is one from the workshop manuals which shows axle stands on the sills, my problem is that my axle stands don't have a slot for the sills so to put them there would flatten them immediately.

attachment.php?attachmentid=117752&stc=1&d=1285406950

Are there any other locations (I would have thought the clue was in the name but I'm not convinced - particularly for the front wheels)

Mike

liftpoints.jpg

Edited by Pixelfill
image and spelling (see edit history)

I have this jack. Although it has never let me down (i use it a few times a week) the bar does seem to flex a bit when jacking up even small cars.

I used it to jack the front of a vw transporter van & thought it was near its limits.

this is how i lift supras and other cars low cars with skirts.

lock the wheel around and you can see a nice big solid subframe . there will be a reinfoirced part where the wishbones bolt to it , slide your trolly jack under and you wont damage any sills or skirts

once the car is lifted put your axle stand under the other lower wishbone mountind point about 12 inches closer to the front of the car

nice , strong and sturdy. job done

for the rear lif it on the diff , and stands under the subframe again either side

i used an adjustable wrench to pull mine out, hammered them level, used a drill with a wire cup brush on them, painted them in red oxide, then hammerite black and hammerite body underseal, back to normal now, i use the stock jack and they are fine:) i used to have a rac hydraulic jack with a circle head which bent them up. Now want to get a hydraulic jack with the head like the stock jack, square with a cutout along the middle

Don't even THINK about jacking a MKIV upo under the sills or box sections save in a road side emergency. Under the diff casing or under the front X member only

Thats the only places I have ever lifted my Supra's:) someone had lifted my NA on the jacking points and bent them:rolleyes:

I made hardwood pads for the Axle stands which work wonders and save any marking of the underside with metal to metal contact

i used an adjustable wrench to pull mine out, hammered them level, used a drill with a wire cup brush on them, painted them in red oxide, then hammerite black and hammerite body underseal, back to normal now, i use the stock jack and they are fine:) i used to have a rac hydraulic jack with a circle head which bent them up. Now want to get a hydraulic jack with the head like the stock jack, square with a cutout along the middle

Your ones were really bad, makes me wonder who the heck could do so much damage without realising what they were doing. It's not just the sills, the entire floor has been caved in: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showpost.php?p=2838387&postcount=141

Diff casing and front cross member are all I've ever used. Though the lack of a low jack means I need to use the stock jack to raise the front an inch before sliding the main jack under the cross member. Works fine, if a little inconvenient

• 4 years later...

So - I need to jack up the car and put it on 4 axle stands to remove the wheels and tyres to send off. Therefore the car needs to sit on the axle stands for at least a week. I'm fine with jacking points but where are the best places, front and rear, to safely put the axle stands?