The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Aero N/A T Complete

Davey001

• Replies 231
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That exhaust looks like its sticking out about a foot? get one the other side and thats king kongs flashy wheel barrow you got there:d;)

Lol!! Cheers mate! Think its with the downpipe being off its pushed back! Ive tied it up to stop it trailing but normaly it sticks out about 2-3" Not quite 12"!!!

yeah i got it in the project section, all the interior is away still being retrimmed cant wait its going to look awesome. carpets have been made now and the trimmer is coming down to fit in the week.

engine wise? im going to prob start end of the year, prob tt conversion

Sounds good mate i'll check it out!!

Hey guys got everything on today! Fired up and heres my problems!!!

Slight alignment issue with the hot side of turbo and downpipe and the v band clamp wont pull them together enough so very noisey and white smoke!

White smoke from exhaust

A/F Readings Cold - 11.5

Warm Idle - 12.5-13

Everything seems to get very hot very quickly!

Also need to check to make sure i have vaccum hoses in correct places!

Not too many problems i hope.

Will post some pics up later!

Any help would be greatfull:)

How much white smoke? did you prime the turbo? ive seen a couple of xs power turbos fail from the box.

Sounds like you might need to cut and shut the down pipe a little, cut 3/4 the way through, bend so it fits right then remove and weld up the gap.

Didnt prime anything, didnt know i had too! Has been used before tho! There is alot of white smoke out of the exhaust and once warm starts smoking from the hotside. The alignment is so close would say open around 3 - 4mm at one side and closed at the other! Do you think i would manage to pull it over with a stronger v clamp?

Sorry to say mate but lots of white smoke sounds like a buggered turbo, you wont close up a 4mm gap without putting a lot of strain on the exhaust/turbo/manifold, better to cut and weld.

Everything seems to be running great, I'll just have to try and close up the gap and take it from there! Bought this turbo from a mate who ran it for around a month and worked great on his. Do the A/F readings seem to be ok?

Slight alignment issue with the hot side of turbo and downpipe and the v band clamp wont pull them together enough so very noisey and white smoke!

As I mentioned earlier in the thread, did you have the faces machined before fitting? They are often warped. Also, did you buy decent quality vband clamps, the ones from the box are useless.

Edit - just seen you said 4mm gap, can't be a facing issue then... did you mount the downpipe to the turbo first, then try to bolt up to the exhuast, or the other way round? Should be done the first way, if it doesn't match easy, then cut the flange off at the bottom and re-weld.

White smoke from exhaust

A/F Readings Cold - 11.5

Warm Idle - 12.5-13

Hmm, the AFR readings on warm idle are way too rich, it should be floating around 14.7.

Are you sure the smoke is white?

Yeah had all faces machined before fitting, got a v band with kit looks abit lightweight and bendy will renew this tomorow. Will unbolt from exhaust tomorow and try fitting it to the turbo first. Yeah was quite white the smoke, and had abit of oil on the unferside of the v band. I thought the white smoke might have been with it running rich? As the smoke only appeared bad when it warmed up and opened the throttle up abit.

Is there any chance it could be the oil seals in the turbo?

Just looked on NA-T but theres not to much about white smoke on start up

Hey mate iam not too sure, got the turbo off a mate and was running great then so cant understand why its not now!!

White smoke would normally indicate water, but there's no good reason for that unless it's just built up vapour in the exhaust. Where is your AFR sensor mounted?

It might also be the turbo seals (just say that you didn't prime the turbo - doh!) does the exhaust smell oily at all?

I used this for my sources,these look ok?

So long as they are secure they'll be fine. It's best practice to use the stock metal clips or plastic tie wraps on vac hoses intake side. It's too easy to split the lines or crush the connector with jubilees - plus over time the clip will dig in and split the hose.

White smoke would normally indicate water, but there's no good reason for that unless it's just built up vapour in the exhaust. Where is your AFR sensor mounted?

It might also be the turbo seals (just say that you didn't prime the turbo - doh!) does the exhaust smell oily at all?

So long as they are secure they'll be fine.

Well the car has been outside in the rain for a few days so could there be moisture as the manifold has been off? There is an oily smell and a oily residue comming out from the joint between the turbo and downpipe. I didnt prime the turbo didnt know i had to, just being honest!! And for the sensor i have it half was up the downpipe away from any bends?

Just read that your supposed to hold the blades or stick something in to stop them spinning to get some oil build up then let it go if it smells oily could well be that but i hope its just moisture built up, for you

Cheers mate will get a look at it tomorow it was last thing tonight when I fired it up and my heads been busting all day, I'll go in with a fresh head tomorow!! Things will look better straight away!

Just read that your supposed to hold the blades or stick something in to stop them spinning to get some oil build up then let it go if it smells oily could well be that but i hope its just moisture built up, for you

:blink: excuse me..... thats just stupid, you dont jam something in the shaft ever!

Disconnect the coil and pull the EFI fuse to stop the car turning over and crank the engine for about 10 seconds.

Its also ideal to unscrew the drain pipe to so you know for sure oil is running through the turbo.