The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hi All, i wanna change from Honda to Toyota!

Airwolf

getting £3000+

pretty insane compared to what i was getting for similar TT autos. but nearer the time of buying a supra ill spend a day or 2 phoning a few insurance providers. im confident i can get it down.

Before you get your hopes up, just to let you know that I found a lot of insurers were reluctant to hire to anyone under 25. I got my Supra when I was 24 & had a lot of trouble trying to get to get insurance on my car even though I had 6 years NCB.

Keep trying as you never know mate but thought I'd warn you so you don't get your hopes too high!

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry, my bad on the mk3.

Just make sure you check the insurance before you buy the car, i know this sounds stupidly obvious but a mate of mine who has a unit style workshop gets quite a few imports in for repair and one of the customers (he was 19 too) had just bought a TT but then couldn't get insurance for it and ended up selling it for a lot less than he paid for it.

i did think about the 200sx... drove one.. its quite nice and drift happy... just... i dno its not really my style. the looks are ok.

my hopes arent high now, pretty gutted at these quotes... dno how they changed like that out of the blue.

i will obviously spend a while getting quotes for the supra before i buy.

but i badly want a supra, looks fantastic, great rep. tunability is awesome... just hope i get decent quotes before i buy

Its a case of :-

Buy a TT auto, spend a fortune on insurance, 30% of the cars worth more than likely, struggle to run it, buy the cheapest possible parts, cheapest tyres 'cos you dont go fast' then write it off into a tree or still have the same car at 45 as you never have any money EVER.

Buy an NA, Insure it, run it a few years, tastefully modified, drop in a TT engine :)

Its a case of :-

Buy a TT auto, spend a fortune on insurance, 30% of the cars worth more than likely, struggle to run it, buy the cheapest possible parts, cheapest tyres 'cos you dont go fast' then write it off into a tree or still have the same car at 45 as you never have any money EVER.

Buy an NA, Insure it, run it a few years, tastefully modified, drop in a TT engine :)

:thumbs:

Unfortunately an N/A isn't that much cheaper.

The quotes won't have changed bud, you would have been getting quotes on the wrong car. There is a long history on here of people your age and quite a bit older telling of high quotes. I couldn't get near a Supra at your age.

One serious contender would have to be an MR2. For what they are they are extremely cheap to insure. We got rid of ours last year, even as a 2nd car it was only £300 to insure fully comp with loads of mods declared. I got quotes when I was 24 and they were down at £500. You would get insured for £1k I reckon.

You have to set yourself a budget of insurance. If you are looking for change from 2k I don't think you will see it.

hi steveo, trust me im not rushing in, been looking at supra for over 3 months now, reading about them, comparing, pros and cons, how many models have been made per factory per year etc. ive done my homework. ill i need is the money.

if i did hopefully get my supra, i would go for the simple, cheap... "murdered out" style. everything completely black. It would suit the supra as it does a 350z and most other powerfull looking cars.

id settle at 2k for an insurance. realisticly i could afford about 2.4k at the most and have plenty to spare. paying monthly ofc.

hi steveo, trust me im not rushing in, been looking at supra for over 3 months now, reading about them, comparing, pros and cons, how many models have been made per factory per year etc. ive done my homework. ill i need is the money.

if i did hopefully get my supra, i would go for the simple, cheap... "murdered out" style. everything completely black. It would suit the supra as it does a 350z and most other powerfull looking cars.

id settle at 2k for an insurance. realisticly i could afford about 2.4k at the most and have plenty to spare. paying monthly ofc.

OMG 2 and half thousand a year! I love my supra but screw that.

Welcome, Scottys advice for the day

What budget you got and you looking for manual/auto TT(dont count out an auto) , start looking on the classifieds or contact Jurgen at JM Imports with your requirements. Manuals go for alot more as you stated so unless you can save a bit more or have a large budget go for an auto... and dont be put off by the auto box they are sweet,you need to go in one. Scotty's five steps to buying your Supra.

1. Join here and pay membership (the best tenner you will spend)

2. Search the classifieds and or contact JM Imports

3. Forget Ebay,Gum what? lol etc (members cars on here will be known and generally well serviced/maintained)

4. Dont limit your search to your local area. (be prepared to travel a bit)

5. Dont buy on looks alone read/print this thread when viewing http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=67644

Then buy, drive and enjoy

You wont go back to a Honda believe me

Oh and as the guys say in past experiance an N/A is sometimes the same insurance as a TT

scotty

Welcome, I would go with the previous advice of maybe getting an MR2 (not latest style) very cool car a decent amount of grunt if you can get a turbo and reasonable to insure.

One thing with the supras to look out for is that those insurance costs would most likely be for a UK car and UK cars generally seem to cost more than an import. :(

Welcome, I would go with the previous advice of maybe getting an MR2 (not latest style) very cool car a decent amount of grunt if you can get a turbo and reasonable to insure.

One thing with the supras to look out for is that those insurance costs would most likely be for a UK car and UK cars generally seem to cost more than an import. :(

To clarify, MORE to buy, LESS to insure :p (UK spec that is)

thanks scotty and LBM. well first off i managed to find my old ad for my civic on gumtree, so here it is if you want a peek.

http://edinburgh.gumtree.com/edinburgh/25/50772625.html

now before i decided i was going to sell the civic, i knew i wanted a RWD/AWD turbo coupe of some kind... i looked at MR2's, Zeds, GT4's and a few others... i did a bit of research, realibility.. how easy to modify... to tune. looks. I came to my decision on the supra. Ive been so obsessed at getting one, my flat mate went from not liking supras to wanting to buy one himself lol.

but yeah, my budget. well im planning to sell the civic between £6-7k. planning to get a Auto TT for between £4-6.5k depending on mileage (seen a stunning 40k mileage supra go for £3000!!!! on auto trader 2 weeks ago)

my max budget for insurance for the year would be about £3000.. thats really the highest ill go (not because i cant afford higher i could, just its a bit stupid)

Edited by Airwolf (see edit history)

planning to get a Auto TT for between £4-6.5k depending on mileage (seen a stunning 40k mileage supra go for £3000!!!! on auto trader 2 weeks ago)

my max budget for insurance for the year would be about £3000.. thats really the highest ill go (not because i cant afford higher i could, just its a bit stupid)

40k mile TT auto supra for £3000 :think:

Your budget for insurance is going up all the time as well.