The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project 1300

suprafan72

• Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
That turbo makes me smile everytime i see it. great work jurgen and the team, must have gave you all some nice headaches.
was a nightmare as manifold had to be repositioned cut and welded again and the addition of the QSV adding 1 inch higher for the turbo to sit mate all areas mm away from touching engine or suspension turret and the bonnet lol. (it was tight then there was the down pipe to clear QSV and wastegate) thanks to whiftbiz for the pipes too made the job a little easier.

When the thing comes on boost want everything move and hit each other, like if there is only a hair width gap wont the turbo hit the suspension turret.

That's one reason why in my build I had to change to a smaller turbo because the one I had picked hit the suspension turret and Lee advised that even getting it to fit when it would of come on boost the turbo would still of clashed with the turret.

When the thing comes on boost want everything move and hit each other, like if there is only a hair width gap wont the turbo hit the suspension turret.

That's one reason why in my build I had to change to a smaller turbo because the one I had picked hit the suspension turret and Lee advised that even getting it to fit when it would of come on boost the turbo would still of clashed with the turret.

Interesting point, I wonder if theres anyway to secure the turbo more so it dosen't do this, Im sure theres a solution somewhere....

Interesting point, I wonder if theres anyway to secure the turbo more so it dosen't do this, Im sure theres a solution somewhere....

Harder or solid engine mounts preventing/restricting engine movement, only problem then is all the vibration and movement is transferred into the chassis.

Harder or solid engine mounts preventing/restricting engine movement, only problem then is all the vibration and movement is transferred into the chassis.

PHR do some solid engine mounts that I looked at but like you say Wez I didn't fancy driving like I was sat on a washing machine

What's a QSV? I think I would rather section the suspension turret slightly rather than run solid mounts. If you solid mount the engine you will need to solid mount the gearbox tailshaft housing, too, it'll be hellish noisy.
Its a Quick Spool Valve Chris to help the Turbo Spool Quicker and give better mid range torque, Seem to work well in the states.

What's a QSV? I think I would rather section the suspension turret slightly rather than run solid mounts. If you solid mount the engine you will need to solid mount the gearbox tailshaft housing, too, it'll be hellish noisy.

QSV = Quick Spool Valve.

Basically it's a plate that sits between the turbo and the manifold. It's divided with one side being open and the other side being a butterfly valve. When the engine load is lower, the valve is closed forcing all the gas through the one divide thus increasing the velocity. This spools the turbo quicker at low RPMs/loads. When the load increases the valve is actuated (boost pressure activated) and this opens the valve allowing gas to pass through both divides.

Hmmm, hope it's made out of decent material, Toyota use ceramic for the flap of the exhaust diverter valve in the stock sequential set up, and the thing is mega expensive. I wouldn't want some piece of recycled bicycle sat in sheet form just in front of my turbine section ;) Thanks for the explanation, where could I see a photo of one of these?