The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Project 1300

suprafan72

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 552
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What have you had to do to the manifold? still staying single wastegate?

had to trim it back an inch at flange and also at angle so it does not hit turret or engine bay..

bonnet will have a small lUVRE on (unless we dont use the QSV).

my guys will do nice job on bonnet to make it as discreet as possible (might even have a very small vent mate to help with cooling)

it will use same wastegate as before

Edited by Jurgen-Jm-Imports (see edit history)

You might have an issue with boost creep on such a large turbo and a single wastegate, cant keep mine under 1.7bar on the street and i have twin gates.

i will need to speak to andy and ryan see whay they recommend with wastegates but ANDY is/loves big power i dont think he wants a low boost setting lol..

any pics of your twin set up ?

I'm liking the sound of the bonnet idea Jurgen.

Looking forward to pics of it.

going to use original bonnet (andy is a genuine toyota FRP one ) first one i have seen,.

so the idea is to cut the bonnet and raise slight up and shape of the top of turbo and instead of Fibreglassing the join , maybe have a vent.

i want to do it so it looks neat and tidy and OEM type look and certainly not a scoop just fitted like the boyracers in corsas do lol..

going to use original bonnet (andy is a genuine toyota FRP one ) first one i have seen,.

so the idea is to cut the bonnet and raise slight up and shape of the top of turbo and instead of Fibreglassing the join , maybe have a vent.

i want to do it so it looks neat and tidy and OEM type look and certainly not a scoop just fitted like the boyracers in corsas do lol..

I hear you there mate. I've seem a few pics of this done an it does look the biz.

Nice looking setup JP. I can see why you might have boost issues with that manifold though, the feeds to the wastegate are coming off the runners at a 90 degree angle so the exhaust flow will massively favour the direct route to the turbine housing. There's probably not much that can be done in the space available though. What springs have you got in the wastegates?

You can also weld on a 2nd gate to the turbine housing direct.....

With just the one gate you may struggle to keep it at 1.7 bar without any creep up top, but each manifold varies so you could be ok. It's always gonna be easier to map if the boost can be ramped in at a controlled rate though.

Jurgen's been doing some top work on it by the looks of things :)

You can also weld on a 2nd gate to the turbine housing direct.....

With just the one gate you may struggle to keep it at 1.7 bar without any creep up top, but each manifold varies so you could be ok. It's always gonna be easier to map if the boost can be ramped in at a controlled rate though.

Jurgen's been doing some top work on it by the looks of things :)

That's what I was thinking about yesterday but thought I was being stupid. If your wastegate isn't in control, then neither is your boost controller. To that end would it not mean that a lot of factors would have a bearing on the boost? Intake temperature being the big one I would have thought?

Must be hard to account for that if in one scenario you have X intake temperature and the setup automatically makes 1.8bar, yet in another scenario you have Y intake temperature and the setup would automatically make 1.6bar.

I guess it would only really matter if you were after progressive boost though?

Yeah IT and AT may have an effect on boost, but if the dyno cell has sufficient cooling they'll be able to recreate some sort of conditions which will be similar to the road.

The mappers also have compensation maps in place to cover changes in Intake temp, Water temp even altitude in some cases, so the car stays safe in different conditions.

The issue that comes up in some single gate setups is that there is way too much exhaust gas being pushed through the gate, and it will have to just stay open, the controller can't modulate the gate at all as there is just too much exhaust flowing through for the one gate.

So basically the car runs as if the gate is wide open all the time, i.e maximum boost that the spring is allowing it to produce.

It's not an issue if you want to run the max that the gate can produce all the time, but would be if your after progressive boost levels (which always helps when mapping)

• 2 weeks later...