The mkiv Supra Owners Club

funniest thread ever??????

Guest scotlandsoop

'Kin ell!

A serious lack of communication (ie not listening/reading) from the new chap.

What's the point of joining a forum if you ignore what you're told?

you have lost me a little there. I'll take any advise that is offered to me.

• Replies 186
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Majansori..

(here we go again sorry everyone)

I have owned both UK and J-Spec Supras (as I'm sure others have too) so if there is a difference I would know.

I bought my first UK one in 97 for a little under £30k.

4 years ago it was time to replace it, and was set on buying a UK one again because like you I somehow thought the Jap-spec was inferior/slower/less equipped/less durable.

I went to look at what i thought was going to be a UK spec Supra and it turned out to be Jap Spec.

My impressions on the day was it felt like it had more Torque (even though like my UK it was completely stock at the time)

It was a facelift model and had a few subtle styling changes, the biggest USP for me was it had only 4k on the clock.

The sacrifice that i considered was No Cruise Control (never used it anyhow)

No headlight washers (only useful for spraying the legs of school girls...actually I miss that facility he he) No heated seats...all they seemed to do is warm ya farts up and make them smell more) and I chnged a few things like the headlamps and the Fog conversion etc to start with.

TBH if I was buying a 95 Supra It wouldn't bother me either way J-spec or UK would depend on the condition of the car as the differences are extremely minor and neither is superior.

Anyway the 97+ Supra got VVTi and they bought out an optional tiptronic gearbox, and its got newer styling...the UK one didn't get the updates.

There used to be a 'bit' of snobbery between UK and J-Spec owners, I myself thought I was Superior :D but this happened with all cars that had Jap Import Clones...the Supra is not in that league anymore..If you want a newer one you can only buy in J-spec.

I'd go for either if I was buying now...more interested in the condition of the actual car tbh.

I mean its like the diffence between Strawberries grown in Japan and Strawberries grown in the UK both taste really nice...but slightly different flavour...so wtf is all the argueing about he he (yet again)

:complain: :p

I agree, you'd still wave at one and say 'ooh look at that supe' whichever it was.

Can't we argue about TT versus NA instead, there's actually some difference in those. And yes if I know it's an NA I generally say 'that's only an NA though.' (I'm gonna get a slap one of these days!!).

apparently the Japs can't/won't drive them at all,

I believe it is because of some weird road law over there- can't they only drive them every second day or something? Plus there is loads more traffic so they aren't daily runners anyway unlike cars over here. So, if you think about it the average mileage on recent imports is around 50k, UK cars of that age are around 100K so I'd say that basic maths works out ok.

Can't we argue about TT versus NA instead, there's actually some difference in those. And yes if I know it's an NA I generally say 'that's only an NA though.' (I'm gonna get a slap one of these days!!).

Oi!! :complain:

Don't drag us lot into you TT boys petty and inconsequencial arguements, we don't have to worry about which ones are better (unless we start bitching the differences between SZ and SZ-R).

:stickpoke

:innocent: :D :devil:

Oi!! :complain:

Don't drag us lot into you TT boys petty and inconsequencial arguements,

Sorry, just saying they're basically a trim level apart, and we've got 2 threads and dozens of pages (not to mention previous threads) arguing about it. I could argue that the Nissan Micra I'm driving today is better than the SE I followed yesterday, even though mine is only an S!! Would anyone care? No.

We all know the 'gentlemans agreement' made the spec on the jap 280bhp, but it's actually more than that (same as a GT-R34 probably is), and we could argue the spool time/torque/etc. forever, but is it worth it? The spec list is up to whoever buys the individual car surely? Just cos I do mostly town driving and have no need for cruise control is my car inferior?

Cruise control is a bunch of yet more useless crap in the engine bay, with motors and throttle cables and whatever, ready to break down someday, or worse get stuck, what a load of garbage....

That's for the US with the endless straights and 55mph speed limits and the cops hidden behind the bushes...

Cruise control is a bunch of yet more useless crap in the engine bay, with motors and throttle cables and whatever, ready to break down someday, or worse get stuck, what a load of garbage....

That's for the US with the endless straights and 55mph speed limits and the cops hidden behind the bushes...

I've got it on my GZ - great for construction zones on the motorway.

Thats a good showing! Makes me wanna check out surrey rolling road now :)

BTW, his sig doesnt make out his car is stock? Wanna confirm this? :)

Yep it is only a hks panel filter thats all.and wheels (but they don't count do they?) apart from that engine is TOTALLY standard!

when i got mine in sep 2000 i got the first i one seen, did not know the difference between jap and uk. turns out mine was a stock facelift 96.5 car. they had another 96-97 supra with full veilside kit and 6 speed with 3 spoke advan racing wheels. i really liked the look of that car but was too much money for me. i bought mine with 35k on clock. i took it for a quick test drive and bought it. got a good part ex on my gto tt. the supra did not feel as quick as the gto, the gto had super drager and hks dump valve.

a few days later nephew found this site. a few mods later and it feels pretty mad. when i first started dragging used to run 14`s took ages to get into 12`s.

my car is almost a n/a it was that basic.

did not have

cruise control

lsd

active front spoiler

no leather seats

its weird how your tastes change over the years, i dont like the veilside supras like i did years ago. plain n simple will do me.

you have to be happy with what you have. they are all good cars. just funny all this banter how it gets to people. :love: