Celica faced widebody project

Guest blueangel

• Replies 597
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

If he declares it to his insurers on a modification report form and shows photos - surely that would suffice?

Nope, if the front slam panel + legs have been modified they will need to be sva approved to check they are as strong/stonger than before. End of the day theyre just looking out for your health and everyone elses. Blueangle might know its stong, but the big guys need to know to!;)

Thats the proper way to do it, im sure lots of people out there have chopped their chassis up and havnt declared it.

Nope, if the front slam panel + legs have been modified they will need to be sva approved to check they are as strong/stonger than before. End of the day theyre just looking out for your health and everyone elses. Blueangle might know its stong, but the big guys need to know to!;)

Interesting discussion. Many aftermarket fronts (Veilside included) have the front panel removed to make them fit. Never seen a single one of those go SVA. If your car is the one in your avatar you may want to get it checked if it is a concern?

nope, the stock front crash bar fits with MY veilside. Just need to refit it at respray HA.

But were talking more than just removing a crash bar here nearly everyone has done that, id like to know if the slam panel was chopped or not (making it, non standard) which means it has to go back through sva, even though its safe in his opinion it might not be.

Imo, you are correct but the slam panel isn't really going to offer much support in a crash, as the part he has cut is only bolted in place iirc, and he has welded on a replacement. True he should have a sva test done after doing the work but it aint going to cause much of a difference.

I get you, but it needs to be proved...ok let me explain in steps

bang, smashed my front it

insurance take the car in to check it over

hmmm extra bits on this chassis...looks like its been played with...onto futher checking

MODIFICATIONS HAVE BEEN DONE THAT ARNT DECLARED!!!

lets get him

problems and more problems for him

and thats what could happen, im not trying to put a shitter on his build or anything just trying to help him out...

Guest blueangel

the steel ive removed was 1mm thick ive replaced it wit 2mm thick angled steel with braces on either end so it wont be a prob

Guest blueangel

difficult dude taken soooooo long i even got to the point where i thought about selling up and just buying a normal car

NOOOOOO! keep going dude, it will be hot, get it into primer so you can see the final lines, that should make you feel better.

ive thought about selling mine many times over 3 years...but theres no point becuase itll just keep getting better and better with the work being done to it:)

keep at it!

difficult dude taken soooooo long i even got to the point where i thought about selling up and just buying a normal car

You cant do that mate, you owe it to yourself to finish it, When its done you will have one hell of a demo car. Plus you will wonder why you even thought of giving up on it.

Guest blueangel

yeah i know dude but ive been driving crap cars for 2 yrs now and spending all my spare cash on it ( and bikes lol )

• 1 month later...
Guest blueangel

If the mods will allow me to do a write up i can turn it into a project thread i have enough pix lol, The car is really coming on now i have the paint and a little help from some good friends so 3 weeks and it will be one colour.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest blueangel

ok well next step in the build was to get two mates to come help me out and what a help they have been.

I was at the point where it was all getting a little ontop of me and was ready to give up or worse still i started to rush it and things didnt go right.

Now Dave and Lewis are on board ive kinda found my mojo again and the design is flowing again.

We spent a few days on the bodywork straightening it out and finding high and low spots my inexperienced hands couldnt.

Next thye wing mirrors bit the dust and were cut out and smoothed over ready for the carbon race mirrors ive decieded to go for with a built in indicator just to bring the car upto date.

Next is the boot lip carbon spoiler i bought from Keron and what a gorgeous spoiler it is the carbon sits perfectly straight and it fits perfectly on the boot, pity ive just taken an angle grinder to it lol.

The idea is to extend the spoiler around the edge of the boot as i dont have a trd or standard spoiler to fit over it and the ends kinda just stop.

and thats the progress to date we worked an all nighter on it last wednesday and same is happening this week so should be ready for paint end of the week , just need to iron out a few niggles i have with it.