hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Huge dilema now.

Ive spent the day with Jay in his supra and the way it drove totally blew me away.

He totally me his power output was somewhere in the region of 600bhp.

Now ive been on the quest for huge power with the car but to be honest I loved the way his car drove. if I can get mine to drive and pull as well as that then ill be more than happy. I think im at the point im prepared to sacrifice BHP for the drive.

I still want to go down the route of a large turbo but im thinking somewhere in the region of 650hp would be way enough for an untouchable road car that blows your face off. With this in mind the block wouldnt need forging which is gona save me a grand or so which I can put to better use on other parts of the car.

I will as a caution fit ACL race bearings and arp rod bolts/head studs.

What do you all think.

Edited by hodge (see edit history)

Huge dilema now.

Ive spent the day with Jay in his supra and the way it drove totally blew me away.

Now ive been on the quest for huge power with the car but to be honest I loved the way his car drove. if I can get mine to drive and pull as well as that then ill be more than happy. I think im at the point im prepared to sacrifice BHP for the drive.

I still want to go down the route of a large turbo but im thinking somewhere in the region of 650hp would be way enough for an untouchable road car that blows your face off. With this in mind the block wouldnt need forging which is gona save me a grand or so which I can put to better use on other parts of the car.

What do you all think.

GAY Go big:d

Go 71 mm maximum. Any bigger and you'll sacrifice driveability.

I suppose the real question is do you think 71 mm (T51, GT4294) is "big"? ;)

Huge dilema now.

What do you all think.

Huge dilema now.

What do you all think.

99.9% of people underestimate just how fast 600 BHP is. 1000 BHP is all well and good for bragin' rights, but absolutely useless on a road car. It all depends what you want, do you want a trophy car, or a car that you can at least use and enjoy on the road. There is always the option of swapping between turbos for different uses.:)

It felt even quicker on the way home without you in ya fat ******* :D, seriously I turned the RLTC off a nudge & it did feel faster, I'm sure it was pulling back a bit in 3rd gear.

Good advice from Miguel, there's nothing to stop you changing your turbo (once you've got the build done) if you feel you've made the wrong decision. Maybe a 71mm is the way forward at the mo, it'll give you more than mine had yesterday & there's still more to come from my setup so it'd be even better

OK folks heres the plan.

The stock pistons and rods are going back in next week.

Im replacing all the shells/bearing with ACL race bearings and all the bolts with ARP's.

Im gone run it for a couple of years saving my pennies and then go 3.4.

Ive got a spare bare block in the shed I can use as a donor for stroker kit and ill just build it up at my leisure. I cant see the point in forging an engine to take it out in a couple of years to go 3.4. I could put the extra cash id spend on pistons and rods to better use. And anyway Jamies hasnt blown up YET lol. and we all know the abuse he gives the motor.

Minds set, ther brbuild will start as soon as my bearings and studs arrive from Paul at Whifbitz.

Long overdue update I think.

I picked these 2 little beautys the other day. No sure if im gona fit them both or just use 1 and sell the other. They do fit nice and when the carpet goes over there pretty un-noticable, and the roof still goes in.

ive spent most of the last few days polishing stuff and to be honest im pretty sick to death of it now lol.

So ive bummed it off and started putting the short block back together.

I got this little lot from whifbitz the other day.

ACL thrust washers

ACL main bearings

ACL rod bearings

ARP main studs and nuts

ARP rod bolts.

Also got this from a friend of mine. Its awesome stuff for engine assembly.

Started assembling it tonight.

Well ive got upto this stage and my bloody torque wrench has broken. i started tightening up the main caps as per workshop manual and was concerned the wrench wasnt clicking and the was just getting very tight. So ive left it alone until I can borrow another torque wrench from a mate tomorrow and nip them up correctly. Ive removed all the carbon and burn marks from the pistons and they look like new.

Hopefully ill get the pistons in and tight tomorrow.

more updates soon.

Nice work but supprised you are going to the trouble of a strip down without fitting some tasty rods and pistons, with a big turbo you will need the high revs.

My intention is to go 3.4 in a year or 2 so dont really see the point of forging an engine to redo it again in the future. I did have a moment of insanity and al,ost bought some but decided to use my brain for once and think of my pocket hahaha.