The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hodge's (The Kraken) Supra build

hodge

i saw this car on sunday while at Johns.and can honestly say with the interior back in it looks amazing..

Its going to be a stunning car when its finally finished.

Cheers mark.

Have you not chosen to run a water-cooled turbo?

no mate ill be using an air cooled unit. After long discussions with paul whiffin im gona go for a BW bulleye turbo with race housing. We were talking maybe an S372 i think it was. Its a size up from what paul has just fitted to his own car.

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nice update. Are you doing the build on the motor yourself?

Certainly am mate. I did the engine on my blue supra too.

I'm not sure to what extent I'll be going yet until I open the engine up though. It will definately be getting a PHR oil pump and a complete head refresh but still don't know if it's getting forged yet.

Certainly am mate. I did the engine on my blue supra too.

I'm not sure to what extent I'll be going yet until I open the engine up though. It will definately be getting a PHR oil pump and a complete head refresh but still don't know if it's getting forged yet.

Might not be a bad idea with the turbo you are gonna run, you certainly will benefit from a increase in rev limit

I finished work at 5am this morning so thought id crack on with the engine :D

Firstly i had to get the engine on the stand. What a right laugh that was. Firstly the brackets on the stand which the engine bolts to were too long so the gearbox bolts wouldnt reach right through. So taking a very sharp hacksaw to them I lopped the extra bit of pipe off so the bolts fitted through nicely.

After alot of fiddling and pushing and pulling it was eventually on well after about an hour lol but atleast its on.

Next the head bolts and washers came out and with a light tap with a soft hammer the head was off. I removed the shims and buckets and the cam position sensors from the head ready to refurb the head.

There is alot of carbon deposits in the engine especially around the top of the bores and on top of the pistons. There is no damage to the bores at all though to be fair so that was pleasing.

So then we went down to the sump. The engine is from an aristo so the sump is at the front of the engine whereas a Supras lower sump is at the back. The Lower and upper sump is totally different so cannot be used at all so goes in the bin.

These are the bits for the bin (and the uppers sump which is not in the picture.

Time to remove the oil pump.

More to come later is I can find my wallet, so I can go and get some Spline sockets to take the pistons and rods out. lmao, I always loose my walle me hahaha.

Well Found the wallet lol.

Pistons and rods are now out. I did notice some wear on the shells so im pleased I removed the pistons and rods really. looking at the engine as a whole I really dont think it would handle the power I want due to its wear.

I think im gona go down the forged route ;)

Finally for todays installments heres a few pics of the cage and its installation.

Done some head work today.

Stripped all the valves, springs and stem seals out.

The head was pretty dirty inside before I started.

valves and springs out.

Valve stem oil seals out.

Now after a bit of spit and polish its starting to look clean again. ive done the Front, back and intake side. Ill do the exhaust side and the bottom another day.