hodge

• Replies 4.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Bit of an update.

Bossco called over last night, and after a cupa and loads of hob-nobs bordom kicked in seems I waiting for parts again, so for a laugh we decided to give porting and polishing my cylinder head a go. What a bloody fiddley job that is but so far we've done really well.

Firstly I finished cleaning all the grime n dirt from the head, then I started where the valves go just below the seat. To be fair I found the casting very rough and especially exhaust side was clogged up with carbon and was a real mess. I've smoothed all the rough casting and burned out 2 dremel style tools in the process. And were talking smoke and flames too LOL.

After we could do nothing else with the head seems I hade no tools lest I polished 1 of my cam covers. It really does look great. I've got a really high mirror finish with it. I'm not sure wether to leave it or chrome it now.

I'll post some pics up later on.

What makes them difficult to Chrome?

I'm not sure kev to be honest. It must be the grade of aluminuim or something.

As John says its the quality of the casting in the covers. Its not great to be honest and it kept reacting badly, when i did it, it came out matt. Even when buffed up it looked rough.

I think it works in the US as they were show chroming the parts a much more expensive process. As you well know Kev :D

John if you are looking to play on the porting front you would be better off getting something like this:

http://www.moleroda.com/acatalog/info_1424.html

Edited by colsoop (see edit history)

John if you are looking to play on the porting front you would be better off getting something like this:

http://www.moleroda.com/acatalog/info_1424.html

Ive vertually got it all done Colin. Just the exhaust ports are proving to be a tinker as there alot smaller than the intake ports.

I think ill just take it to work and use 1 of the air tools to finish it off it shouldnt take andmore than 30 mins I recon. Then I can bring it home and polish it.

If It was something I was gona do for a few people I would invest in something like that but couldnt justify spending 120 quid on something im gona use once. That flexy cable looks the same as the 1 that came with these dremel tooly thingys and ive melted 2 of them tonight hahaha hence why im better off taking it to work I think;)

heres a few belated piccys for you all.

cam covers polished

Some decent pics of the cage seems we have abit of better weather. Ive also cleaned all the crap out the boot.

Im considering having the Tein rear strut brace paintedwhite to match the cage.

Started porting the head.

Guest Rays the roof

Been away for a week and looks like I've been gone for a month, with the progress you have made!

Chrome cam covers - Issue is that Toyota used a blend of alloys with the aluminium and they are very difficult to get a bond to. Polished NA cams only last a month before they start to tarnish, whereas you should get 6 months with the TT ones:(

I am experimenting on a process, which will not be anywhere near $400. It involves micro-etching the surface of the cam after polishing to give a mechanical key and then a 4 coat process for the chrome electroplating. I have a cam done which is currently in an artificial weathering chamber, to see what the long term durability will be like. Will keep you posted on it's success.

Ramondo

Whats the plan with the fitting the TRD kit mate? id get it in the bodyshop before you fit the interior or engine, you know what a mess them guys make, or are you doing the fitting and spraying yourself?

Im fitting it myself jamie. The bodyshop that painted my blue supra awesome ill be getting them to blend the rear arches in and paint it but all the rest ill be doing.

If anything needs stripping theyll let me go and do it but they are extremely carefull.

That roll cage installation is SO tidy, very impressed how you got the panels to fit round without making it look hacked apart. Great attention to detail :thumbs:

Maybe it's just the picture, but it looks like there is a crack in the head on one of the porting pictures (on the right)? :blink:

I know what you mean. I did notice it. It's just a slight imperfection in the casting. It's in about 3 different ports in the same place. I checked it at work with the ultrasonic and the casting is still dence so all is good. I did to be fair flap myself when I saw it LOL but alls good.

Guest Rays the roof
ray when can i expect the clutch master cylinder and shield back. Im wanting to get the pedals n front seat bolted in but cant til the master cylinder is in place.

I left a friend one job to do for me whilst away and he forgot. Your bits were ready and packaged to send out on the Monday I was away. He forgot until I phoned him on Sat from manchester Airport and scurried to the PO. It was sent 1st class recorded so you should have it today absolute latest if it didn't arrive yesterday.

Sorry Sir Hodgemeister for the delay.