The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dan's Supra Project

dandan

There’s quite a picky bedding in needed for the discs and especially the pads to get enough pad film transferred to the discs. So far I’ve only done one bedding in session and that wasn’t the full story as I was taking things easy until I’ve checked over the install again with the wheels off.

However, even after just half of the bedding in I am extremely impressed. The feel is incredible, the initial bite is sharp and predictable and they get the hot 255 tyres chirping with the ABS a lot quicker than with the UKs. I need to repeat the bedding in now to the point of fade and that should see the whole thing done – and even more eye popping braking.

I think would be a bit OTT for the stock tyres so I’m glad I have the 255s up front.....on a track with some big R888s or even slicks I think these will come into their own even more!

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Looks very interesting! Very impressed with the R&D you've done :) How much clearance do the Alcons have compared to UKs?

The front calipers give about 7mm more room towards the spoke and are I think they are also more roomy towards the inside of the wheel too - if you mounted them on the UK disc. However, my aluminium bells are quite a low offset which means the clearance to the spokes (compared to UKs) is a little less. I could pull the disc 20mm closer to the centre of the car with a different bell if needed but this way kept the brackets relatively simple (and I have loads of room in the Rotas anyway). My discs are 365mm so they won't fit into 17" wheels. The rears do though ;)

Wow, great work Dan they look stunning, how much would a complete kit like this cost?

I'll add things up Wes and let you know - probably about £3500 but I'll check. The pads were something like £450 alone :faint: I've seen a 365mm Monoblock six front setup like mine for sale in Australia by a few companies for ~$5000AUS but never a rear kit of any sort.

Some top class work there :thumbs:

They look stunning.

Amazing work there Dan ;)

Thanks chaps :thumbs:

Thanks mate :)

I did another bedding in session yesterday and they are getting better and better. I still have not managed to get them to fade at all and I'm not sure I'll be able to on the road. I have faded my stock UKs and also CWs but that was repeated braking to the level I've not quite managed yet with these.

The cold feel is identical to my UKs normal feel with the CW pads - not overly sharp but with plenty of stopping power. Once a tiny bit of warmth is in them they sharpen right up and feel great and very easy to modulate. The XP8 pads seem to make a lot of very dark dust but that could be from the unusally heavy braking I've been doing :D

Apparently they need to go right to the point of fading for optimum pad transfer to the disc.....I'm getting there

Sat at a fairly sensible ride height at the mo but I may drop it a tiny bit.

Front Bedded 2nd.JPG

Rear Bedded 2nd.JPG

Rear Right Quarter.JPG

Front Left.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

A few more photos seen as I had the car out at the start of the week. :)

The brakes are absolutely amazing now they are bedded in - the XP8 compound doesn't need masses of pedal pressure to get sensible braking levels and that combined with the size of the discs and caliper pistons means there is no need, at all, to stamp on the pedal for hard stops. I can easily hold the braking right on the point of the ABS kicking in for long hard high speed stops and that's something I couldn't do with the UK spec setup as they didn't have the feel or repeatability from stop to stop.

Haven't managed to get them to fade on the road yet and I don't think there's any chance of doing that.

Job done and I am extremely pleased with how they turned out :D

Photo0656a.JPG

Photo0661a.JPG

Photo0662a.JPG

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Again nice work Dan. I really do envy your skills and attention to detail. Car looks fantastic as a result :thumbs:

So is that it for the car for the time being? Is it going to start to make real life appearances from now on as id really like to see this thing up close and personal :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Guest aqua_life

Sorry for offtopic.

Dan, you have your PM inbox full.

"dandan has exceeded their stored private messages quota and cannot accept further messages until they clear some space."

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...