The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dan's Supra Project

dandan

Powder coating stuff looks spot on mate :thumbs:

that engine bay looks mint mate, really like that. nice work

work of art , nice one fella

Awsome mate, love what you have done with it.

Alot of time, effort and money spent and it defently worth it. Engine bay is mint.

Thanks for the kind comments chaps :)

Dan is that one the exhaust vacuum thingys on the intake

Sure is Paul. That provides a vac source when "on boost" if the exhaust bypass valve is shut. When that valve is shut and I am running through all three exhaust silencers over the full exhaust length the exhaust vac'd breathers don't provide enough vacuum (exhaust seems too restrictive) so this one supplements it.

With the bypass valve open the exhaust vac system is more than sufficient....but sometimes I drive it reasonably hard in "quiet mode" with the bypass valve shut so I added this one in.

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Here's a quick peek at my next major mod....all round custom Alcon brake setup. I'm really looking forward to getting this work underway as it's been on the cards for ages but I've been putting it off whilst getting other things done.

This is one of the front calipers shown against my wheels that desperately need a wash after some heavy braking action this week. :D

The rears are almost identical but are 4 piston and only have one strengthening rib as part of their monoblock design. Right now I am waiting on some special pads for the rear calipers made by Carbotech in their XP8 compound. As soon as I have the pads I'll make a start :)

Engine bay is looking absolutely spectacular - nice work Dan !

Thanks dude :)

Those brakes look the biz Dan, the constrast with the black wheels is perfect

Did you ever get any vacuum readings from your setup bud (at idle, cruise & WOT)?

Yeah now that I think about it the standard Alcon silver should look pretty sweet against the dark colours of the wheels and body.

All my pressure readings were from my Defi boost gauge which, to be honest, is not that accuarate at all so I only used it for relative comparisons. At the time it was also plumbed into the catch can rather than the dipstick tube. I'll get something more accurate hooked up and feed back.

brakes looks the Nuts dude, should look :drool: behind the wheel. Much did you pay for the full brake setup, i know these bad boys dont come cheap?

Thanks Geo. You're right, they are by no means the cheapest and it's not helped by the fact that a "kit" isn't commonly available. One place in Oz does a front kit for £2750 plus shipping. http://www.tweakit.net/shop/product_info.php?cPath=57_228_229_243&products_id=1506

However, you can buy the calipers and discs from Ears Motorsport - front calipers are ~£1100, discs are ~£550, the Carbotech XP8 pads I'm using are £250 a set. Then you need to add on the cost of bells, floating/mounting hardware, caliper brackets and then other bits like hoses and fluid if you need them. Depending on how much you can do/source yourself you're looking at anything from £2100-2500 as a rough guess for a front setup.

If you wanted a more conventional pad like the Ferodo DS2500 it would probably work out cheaper to buy an Alcon kit for another car (£1800 roughly) and then get different bells and caliper brackets made for the Supra fitment - that would probably save a few hundred quid over buying it all separately and you'd have a few spare bits to sell on another forum somewhere.

The rear calipers are a little cheaper than the 6 pot fronts and I am going to be using them with OEM UK rear discs. The rear XP8 pads are also a little cheaper at ~£200 but the calipers still need to be mounted on custom brackets.

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

• 2 months later...

OK I have a few updates to this thread :)

The Alcon brake setup is now waiting on me to finish the caliper mounting brackets, the custom pads that Carbotech made for me are done and I have all the discs and braided lines. With any luck I'll get back onto the brackets in the next few weeks.

As some of you may have seen I got back to SRR last week to see what my latest round of mods achieved. Since my last RR session I swapped the intercooler to a Greddy 3 row, modified my quiet 2 7/8" exhaust to have a 4" first silencer and an electric cutout straight after that, plumbed in the breather kit and surrounded my air filter with a shield that seals against the bonnet. I'm now on the lookout for some wider wheels and tyres as the midrange torque (and the rate that it builds) is causing me problems in 3rd gear on bone dry roads with hot 285/35 tyres....2nd gear is a no go at the moment. I need more rubber :D

I also had a pressure transducer plumbed into the exhaust manifold but that obviously made no difference to the results. I'll take a look over the log data soon as I'm interested to see how much greater the exhaust manifold pressure is compared to my boost pressure. Anyway here's the latest plot:

And this is a comparison to the old setup when it was last dyno'd:

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Here's a comparison of the "valve shut" to "valve open" setup. Ryan didn't get chance to do a second map to optimize things for when the valve is shut so those numbers may pick up a bit if he removed a little fuel. To be honest though I don't hammer it with the valve shut so it's probably not worth the effort, it's mainly for starting up in the mornings and driving around town/suburbia when I don't want to be too antisocial!

It looks like it's only costing abut 35hp in the midrange and about 25hp at the top end which is a better result than I expected.

This is how the exhaust turned out and some sound level numbers measured 45degrees up and away from the tailpipe.

Exhaust bypass valve closed - quiet mode:

1000rpm - 83.5dB

4000rpm - 90dB

5000rpm - 96dB

Exhaust bypass valve open - noisy mode:

1000rpm - 90dB

4000rpm - 91dB

5000rpm - 101dB

And if you lean under the car and measure closer to the dump tube:

Exhaust bypass valve open - noisy mode:

1000rpm - 89.3dB

4000rpm - 99dB

5000rpm - 103dB

Good result Dan.

I guess you're on street tires. Haven't you thought about semi-slick (R888's) to get better traction.

On my current BW setup (626bhp and 540 torque), I had traction problems in 3rd on dry road (not to speek of 2nd). When I went from street tires to my actual Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (semi-slick), I was astonished how traction was on these compared to street tires ... when warmed up (>40°C), the Pilot Sport Cup's have traction even in 2nd gear.

I will have a remap to 1.8, plus add a new GReddy intake plenum soon ... don't know how it will be then though.

Cheers

Luc

What's the thinking behind wrapping the exhaust all the way along? Exhaust heat retention, sound minimisation, spare heat wrap?

Noise reduction and protecting the underside of the body from the heat from the exhaust. (It sits fairly high with loads of ground clearance).

Good result Dan.

I guess you're on street tires. Haven't you thought about semi-slick (R888's) to get better traction.

On my current BW setup (626bhp and 540 torque), I had traction problems in 3rd on dry road (not to speek of 2nd). When I went from street tires to my actual Michelin Pilot Sport Cups (semi-slick), I was astonished how traction was on these compared to street tires ... when warmed up (>40°C), the Pilot Sport Cup's have traction even in 2nd gear.

I will have a remap to 1.8, plus add a new GReddy intake plenum soon ... don't know how it will be then though.

Cheers

Luc

Thanks Luc. What size and price are the tyres you run now?

I had a set of R888's on the car a while back but not tried anything similar since this recent "upgrade". I am looking into trying some Kumho V70a's in a 305/30/18 or possibly R888 295/30/18 if Jamesy decides he wants to sell them :) I think this will be the only way forward from now on but that obviously won't be much use in the coming months. The joys of winter motoring in boring cars awaits! :D

I reckon you'll still be ok for traction with a Greddy plenum and more boost, you might well get to the 700hp with that turbo and cams which will be great. Someone like Jay could give you a better idea of potential traction problems as he is much closer to those sorts of figures and spec. The problem I have (funny way to think of it though) is the amount of torque mine makes in the lower revs....that is what busts the tyres loose as it's always around 4000-4500rpm that I have issues and I don't think this will be the case for you running a tubular manifold. The only other setups I have seen kicking out the same low rpm grunt are Wez's and Mike B's and they're on cast manifolds too.

I have attached a comparison of my setup to yours but mine is only on low boost (1.4bar) and making 556bhp and about the same torque as you. You can really see the difference in the midrange and get an idea of what I'm up against trying to put down ~500lbft compared to ~270lbft at less than 4500rpm. Our gearing means that transferring this sort of torque to the tarmac at low engine speeds is no mean feat for the tyres. When I run higher boost the situation only gets worse :D One thing is for certain...once I get the traction I want with somethng like the R888s or Sport Cups like you suggest - this thing is going to be very fast indeed :) Roll on summer 2011.

Great comparison Dan.

It's impressive how fast your's is spooling vs mine ... wow. I remember my old Stage 1 (GT60) turbo, which gave full boost in 2nd around 3.7k, and where I have had problems on street tires when they were cold. This problem isn't seen as pronounced on my 91-79, as it comes on full boost later.

I'm running 265 at the rear for the moment, which is fine with the semi-slicks on the actual power. The problem is that Michelin is only making 265, 295, 305 and more in 19inch. I wouldn't get the 295 on my 9.5 rear rim. I will see how it's going with 700+ bhp.

It's impressive how much difference a manifold can make in terms of spool. I am very tempted to try another manifold to loose a bit of lag ... I would like to try Pauls twin wastegate manifold ... but still waiting for a nice x-mas discount :p

I paid 1280 EUR for the 4 Michelin PSC tires (245-35/19 front ; 265-30/19 rear).

Thanks for the info Dan ;)

Luc

Edited by Luxluc (see edit history)

Great comparison Dan.

It's impressive how fast your's is spooling vs mine ... wow. I remember my old Stage 1 (GT60) turbo, which gave full boost in 2nd around 3.7k, and where I have had problems on street tires when they were cold. This problem isn't seen as pronounced on my 91-79, as it comes on full boost later.

I'm running 265 at the rear for the moment, which is fine with the semi-slicks on the actual power. The problem is that Michelin is only making 265, 295, 305 and more in 19inch. I wouldn't get the 295 on my 9.5 rear rim. I will see how it's going with 700+ bhp.

It's impressive how much difference a manifold can make in terms of spool. I am very tempted to try another manifold to loose a bit of lag ... I would like to try Pauls twin wastegate manifold ... but still waiting for a nice x-mas discount :p

I paid 1280 EUR for the 4 Michelin PSC tires (245-35/19 front ; 265-30/19 rear).

Thanks for the info Dan ;)

Luc

Thanks Luc - I see you are even more up against it as you are running 19" wheels....I am also looking at my options now to drop to a 17" x 11.5" at the rear with a 315/35 :cool: Trouble is the only tyres easily available in those sizes are Vredestein Sessantas and Kumho V70a - I'd probably need a set of each as the Kumho is apparently even worse than the R888 through any puddles. I'll have a nose around for the Michelins as well now, thanks.

I guess the lag and torque stuff is all very personal because its effect depends what you use the car for. Mine is not a track car or anything like that so all the midrange torque (and more importantly the response when off boost and transitioning into boost down at 1500rpm :D ) makes it very easy to drive on the road and it can easily be trundled around under 2000rpm all the time without ever feeling sluggish or strained.

If you are hammering a car to death all the time on a track then you're not likely to be left wanting more lower rpm torque or improved manners and response when off boost as you'll probably be north of 4000 or even 5000rpm for the majority of the time.

Personally I love it...especially now it's got the top end power to match up the the midrange grunt - best of both worlds for my usage :cool:

thats some impressive numbers Dan,

About the tyres/ grip issue, what make/model tyre are you using at the moment?

Thanks bud.

On the car right now I have 285/35/18 P Zero Rossos on a 10" rim. The grip is better than my 275/35 Eagle F1's but I still need more and for some reason I had it in my head that i wanted to find this mysterious extra grip without switching to an R888 type tyre but perhaps that's my only real option. The suspension is Chris Wilson's modified Bilstein dampers with custom springs and height adjustable platforms....I already ditched my Tein coilovers in an effort to soften things up.

Thats is top notch dan nice work...wish i had the knowledge to do something like this

Thanks very much :thumbs:

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished bolting up the new Borg Warner turbo....not a major job but not a super simple swap either as they don't sit in the same position as a Precision unit (I'll stick up a tech post shortly so people know what to expect if swapping out a Precision turbo for a BW).

As you can see, the exhaust housing is a little larger but the compressor housing is roughly the same. It sits fairly close to the strut brace but not quite as close as it looks in the photo.

Rolling road to follow in about a week. :)

Nice work Dan, looking forward to the results, I think it might be a first for a BW on a cast setup :thumbs:

Me too, it's gonna be interesting - that's for sure :D I will give you a shout when we have the SRR date nailed down.

Which unit is it? 88-75, 91-79???

Neither. It's an 84-75 which shares the same high flow turbine as the 88-75 but has a custom compressor wheel with an exducer diameter that is almost identical to the 67DBB but with the addition of the extended tips. The inducer is pretty small at approximately 60mm.

Neither. It's an 84-75 which shares the same high flow turbine as the 88-75 but has a custom compressor wheel with an exducer diameter that is almost identical to the 67DBB but with the addition of the extended tips. The inducer is pretty small at approximately 60mm.

Would you say this is a BW hybrid unit as I dont recall seeing this model number available.