The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dan's Supra Project

dandan

All done now and ready for a bit of a shakedown - car is covered in dust as farmer has been cutting grass all around for the last few days so a good clean is in order next....

I think I need to lower the front a little but the back looks about right...

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Cheers guys. I will be giving it a proper clean, polish etc but that'll have to be after this weekend as I am flat out at the mo. Then I'll try to snap some nice pics but photography's not really my strong point :D

I only just removed the skirts - I got a bit nervous about the spats as lots of people said the paint all got ripped off underneath when the spats came off. I haven't built up the courage to take them off yet. I've got no intention of putting the skirts back on, I prefer the sleeker skirtless look.

I suppose if it did damage the paint I could always put the spats back on till I was ready to get it resprayed and I'd be in this same position - so nothing to lose by trying it :think:

Looks great on those dan, if I just had someone to roll my arches like you did, was a absolute pita!

So did you get them done yet mate? Did it not go well?

I can get the tyre to here without touching the arch anywhere and this is just about as far as it'll go anyway - it's hard against the bumpstop at this much stroke.

• 1 month later...

Job for the weekend....

My brake caliper brackets are done now so I'll be fitting the big Alcon calipers and discs over the weekend :D

I'll get some better pics but here are the finished brackets - I love to see nicely machined components :)

There stunners, a friend had alcon brakes on his skyline, i never did get a ride in it though :(

I've seen a Skyline with them on too, they're more common on the later Evos as they were available as an aftermarket thing. Not seen a Supra with them yet though :)

Very nice mate, your car is fast becoming a serious machine.:)

Thanks mate, I'm pretty much there now with how I want it to be. I'm conscious that I don't want to go too mad with the mods as it's still a road car and needs to behave like one.

The brake conversion has been on the cards for ages but it was just a lack of time slowing things up getting the brackets made really. I reckon that once these are on the major work is finished - all I'll do then is fit my Greddy intake, fit the seats, remove the spats and then I'll be done. :D

Cheers guys :thumbs:

Discs are the Alcon Extreme, crescent grooved and they're some sort of cast iron. They're an odd colour as they have a general sheen of surface rust from sitting in the garage so long - waiting for me to get the brackets done!

Next to the UK fronts:

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

• 3 weeks later...

I decided a long time ago to upgrade the UK spec brakes on my car partly as I wanted to try something a little different to the Brembp/AP norm and I know the monoblock callipers are amongst the best around.

The fronts are six piston monoblocks on 365mm crescent grooved Alcon discs and the rears have been designed to run on the UK rear discs to keep things simple with the handbrake setup.

Here’s a few pics of all the parts before I fitted them:

This gives an idea of the size of the calipers, these are the rears: :D

Full Kit.JPG

Calipers and Pads.JPG

Discs.JPG

Rear Caliper Comparison.JPG

Seen as I was always going to do the front and rears I was able to make use of the Alcon’s extra braking power rather than (like Brembo and AP) make the kits the same “power” as OEM so you can simply upgrade the front or rear without upsetting the brake balance.

The theoretical braking power is up 18% on the UK Toyota setup (assuming the UK setup uses the same uprated pads as this setup). I did a lot of digging around to work out the balance and power of other kits around before I committed to the Alcons.

The brake balance with this setup and my choice of pads gives 1-2% more rear bias which should be excellent as I felt the car could handle some more rear bias especially with some of the weight shifting going on with the car (single conversion, rear battery etc etc) plus the suspension setup and the 315 rear vs. 255 tyre setup. That said, I didn’t want to steam-roll into 5% or more rear bias as that might be a step too far – I’d rather faff around with that using a bias valve if I wanted to rather than committing to it 100% with the callipers, pads and disc design with no way back if I’m wrong! :D

Bias Comparison:

Brake Torque Comparison:

1a0668f3.jpg

73c718d4.jpg

Front pads comparison:

Rear pad comparison:

I had to get the rear pads made specifically for this setup by Carbotech. The rear callipers are made for 32mm discs and the Toyota ones are only 16mm so the pad thickness needed increasing to suit. However, I couldn’t just do that on the friction material as the pads need to stay guided in the calliper even when they wear right down so we had to make the backplates thicker. The thick backplates were pretty heavy so they got hollowed out and “honeycombed” under the friction material to save weight. Here you can see the thicker plates:

Rear Pads.JPG

Front Pads.JPG

Pad Thickness.JPG

The front discs are fully floating and the Alcon bobbin system is excellent. The square bobbins transmit the torque from the hat to the disc and allow room for radial expansion when the discs heat up and axial float to compensate for manufacturing tolerances in the hubs. This means the bell wobbles about with the hub (within Toyotas tolerances) but the discs can stay true and square with the pads. This limits the chance of the pads and piston continually being knocked back into the calliper and gives the pedal that slightly sharper feel and instant response.

This is all good but can be a bit noisy as the disc and bell are bolted together “loose”. This is fine on a track car where you can put up with the clicking and squeaking all the time but it’s not good for a road car. For that reason, AP do not do a “road” floating setup so their normal kits are just bolted together. Brembo get over this with their funny shaped spring washer and the Alcons do it with a wave spring design on alternate fasteners. These keep everything quiet but don’t limit the float.