The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Dan's Supra Project

dandan

Sounds good mate, yeah makes sense the boost goes up with less restriction, do switchable maps really work? i remember talking with Ryan about this before and i thought it could not be done at the flick of a switch? just boost changes.

You use a 8 position cal switches and you can flick between maps on the fly now. But if you wanted you can just use a 2 postion now.

When the new firmware comes out that i have requested for exhaust valve control, Dan will have the ability to flick betwen the maps :)

Ryan

• Replies 554
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You use a 8 position cal switches and you can flick between maps on the fly now. But if you wanted you can just use a 2 postion now.

When the new firmware comes out that i have requested for exhaust valve control, Dan will have the ability to flick betwen the maps :)

Ryan

Nice :thumbs:

GREAT THREAD.....DANDAN - you are one gifted individual.

Love the heatsheild you built for the clutch reservoir......as good as what Toyota could put together :)

How come you haven't created a sealed airbox as supposed to leaving the filter to heatsoak in the engine. No-one to date has really come up with a decent solution for us single owners that cant use the stock airbox. Perhaps you can put your talent to work on this one.

GREAT THREAD.....DANDAN - you are one gifted individual.

Love the heatsheild you built for the clutch reservoir......as good as what Toyota could put together :)

How come you haven't created a sealed airbox as supposed to leaving the filter to heatsoak in the engine. No-one to date has really come up with a decent solution for us single owners that cant use the stock airbox. Perhaps you can put your talent to work on this one.

Thank you...it's been a long road and I'm very happy with it all now although there's a lot still on the horizon!

I originally intended to modify a stock airbox to work with the GT35R I was planning to fit but for some reason...when I went with the 67DBB I went off the idea of modifying the stock airbox. I may well go back to it but I do remember Ryan did some work with it on his single and it did strangle power (but he may have still only had the two stock feeds to it).

Right now I have a shield fitted which seals up against the bonnet which does a pretty good job of keeping hot air from being drawn into the filter. I have no recent photos but I'll post up some older ones which show it with a different seal fitted....and without any dedicated cold air feeds other than the obvious gaping void under the headlight :D

Love reading this thread Dan you've got some great ideas.

Your work looks floorless and without compromise.

Hats off to you mate.

Cheers matey, very much appreciated :) :)

Here are a few general engine bay shots for the photo lovers :D I haven't got anything too recent but this is almost identical to how things are now barring the filter heatshield and a bit of hose tidying here and there....

Apologies to the clean freaks and detailers as this hadn't been cleaned at the time so it's not up there with the show and shine winners but I think it still looks pretty neat and tidy and the sunshine was obviously helping with the pics!

CIMG3818a.jpg

CIMG3846a.jpg

CIMG3845a.JPG

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

Very nice matey.

Where did you get the rubber edging to finish of the metal work as I could do with something like that.

Fantastic attention to detail.Well done on the build

Bay looks spotless mate:cool:

Look fantastic mate, what is that heatshield stuff called, I need to protect my brake/clutch res's also :)

Look's fantastic Dan;)

Cheers fellas - thanks for the comments :) :thumbs:

I got the rubber trim from Minimail 01989 720111 - it is used for the bonnet seal on 1997 and later Minis :D

The heatshield stuff is here http://www.demon-tweeks.co.uk/Motorsport/Car_Preparation/Heat_Shielding_&_Protection/Nimbus_GII_Heat_Shield/1471/1883 and here http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/HEAT-SHIELD-G2-HEAT-BARRIER-MATERIAL-615mm-x600mm-aprox-/310216451183?cmd=ViewItem&pt=UK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM&hash=item483a57646f It's very easy to work with and I made up that shield for the clutch fluid area using cardboard as a template....it was a long job to get it perfect :senile:

CIMG3826a.jpg

Edited by dandan (see edit history)

This is how and where the bypass valve dumps out from the exhaust. 4" downpipe, 4" midpipe and one 4" straight through silencer and then out to fresh air....that's it when the valve is open.

It really does sound awesome as you can hear some very subtle and interesting sounding noises as the boost just starts to build....a bit like the combination of a deep glugging sound and a quiet whistling - very unusual. :) It also has a lovely raspy growl to it when flat out which doesn't sound like a Supra at all - more like something from Nascar :D The cast manifold may well be contributing there as well :search:

I may well go back to it but I do remember Ryan did some work with it on his single and it did strangle power (but he may have still only had the two stock feeds to it).

Interesting, CW believes the stock airbox is good enough for 600bhp easily; with the fact that it provides a proper sealed airbox it helps sucking in cold air from both feeds.

BTW: Also noticed that you still have the charcoal canister installed. Many tend to remove it when going single, did you do the same and then revert back?

Interesting, CW believes the stock airbox is good enough for 600bhp easily; with the fact that it provides a proper sealed airbox it helps sucking in cold air from both feeds.

In contrast, I think Ryan was running into reasonable power losses at ~550bhp with both OEM and aftermarket elements in the stock box.

BTW: Also noticed that you still have the charcoal canister installed. Many tend to remove it when going single, did you do the same and then revert back?

No charcol cannister here :search:

Just seen this build for the first time. Truly stunning car with clearly top-quality workmanship. Kudos!

What a great project build Dan.

Love your attention to detail and specific fabricating of your custom parts.

Exactly how it should be done, a true one-off :thumbs:

Thank you for the kind comments chaps :thumbs:

Will update again as soon as Ryan and I get back to the rolling road with the exhaust switching sorted :)

• 3 weeks later...

After replacing all the suspension arms and bushes and installing the Titan anti roll bars it was inevitable that the dampers and springs were going to be replaced.

I don't quite have everything up together yet but here's a taster of what's happening next. I need to get a little bit of machining done and hopefully later this week or at the weekend my Tein HA kit will be coming off and this little lot will be going on. :D

Revalved Bilstein dampers and custom springs are courtesy of Mr Wilson - thanks Chris (and thanks for that prop bracket/rear brace) :thumbs:

Almost everything ready to roll:

This gives you a rough idea of what an assembled unit looks like although this is missing a spacer to go under the modified spring seat and it has an old prototype spring seat fitted. The four new seats will be machined this week...