Tidying up engine bay

jevansio

• Replies 339
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Where did you get the braided petrol line from? And...is it the right size to use for boost and wastegate pipes??

I just had it lying around, but you can get it from most places (ebay for example). It depend which boost pipe, it's 6mm inner diameter so goes fine onto fittings on my wastegate/boost solenoid. But I have other boost lines going to stuff like pressure sensors/FPR which is 3mm inner diameter so it wouldn't be any good for those.

Little update, the OEM hose going from the plenum to the servo is one of those with the braided bit in the middle of the hose, the one I used never, so I've took it off & I'll redo that hose.

I've seen low pressure & high pressure (150 PSI) hoses advertised, are the high pressure ones the ones with the built in braided stuff inside the hose?

Edit, also where the hell do you buy the end caps that you put over pipes that you're no longer using, I've searched high & low (I know you could just put a bolt in the end of some hose but I want it neat) :)

Edited by jevansio (see edit history)

Which ports do you want to block Jay?

I looked everywhere for some caps for the water pipes but the ones I fitted got split by the jubilee clips :(

I ended up chopping a bolt up and putting it inside the OEM pipe with a jubilee clip on the end. Not perfect but a little tidier than with the bolt head showing.

I stil have alot i want too do but gives you a idea

I have seen this in your thread, but it staggers me each time I see it. It's like something from a movie ;)

I just don't think I would know where to begin or even how to do this. I would love to buy one like it though!

Good work.

Which ports do you want to block Jay?

I looked everywhere for some caps for the water pipes but the ones I fitted got split by the jubilee clips :(

I ended up chopping a bolt up and putting it inside the OEM pipe with a jubilee clip on the end. Not perfect but a little tidier than with the bolt head showing.

My manifold has 3 take off points for vacuum hoses, I'm only using 2 now. I've found some but you have to buy 1000pcs at a time. I'm sure I've chucked stuff like this away before :(

Something like a 5mm/6mm hose that is blocked at one end would be ideal

I thought I'd post this to show what I did with the vacuum hose going to the brake servo.

As Rob mentioned, that hose is no ordinary hose. When I looked it had a braided core & very thick walls.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93617&stc=1&d=1244133500

Compared with the fuel hose I used.

attachment.php?attachmentid=93616&stc=1&d=1244133500

No I know it would probably have done, and the braiding around the hose wold have kept it from expanding, but it was very flexible and squashed pretty easy (the OEM hose was solid as it had thick walls).

So I went & got some braided cover. It just pushes over the hose & gives a great finish with the quality of the OEM hose. I'll get some bigger anodised connectors to go over the end then cut the braid to size then that's that hose done good & proper

attachment.php?attachmentid=93618&stc=1&d=1244133500

attachment.php?attachmentid=93619&stc=1&d=1244133500

IMG_3801.jpg

IMG_3802.jpg

IMG_3803.jpg

IMG_3804.jpg

Tidying up the bay can certainly be done. I just finished mine (after 11 months), and it is extremely clean now. You only see a clean bundle going from the firewall to the back of the engine (custom harness), everything else is tucked away.

Here's a few pictures

they are just not installed in those picture, fuel lines were off for cleaning before final install. but you hardly see the harness, its custom and runs to the back of the engine, behind the FPR's. form there on out to sensors etc it isn't visible.