The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercharger Project

madmarf

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not possible to align the blower pulley with the existing pulleys and run a longer auxiliary belt?

When fitted the M90 to mine, I mounted it above the exhaust manifold where the turbos normally live. For this I had a bracket fabricated. Regarding the belts, I tried several options. Te only one which really worked for me was to have a larger pulley made for the waterpump and ran the belt around the lower half of this. The side effect of this was that water flow was not as good as previous as the pump would be running at haf the revs as it was designed to. That said, I had no overheating problems, I put this down to good luck and also when you consider the same pump is used on many big BHP Supras without being upgraded.

The downside of locating the SC on this side of the engine bay is that with the stock NA inlet manifold and throttle housing you are left with no room at all to plumb up a intercooler, sadly with lysholme screw type superchargers or their variants, heat is the biggest issue after figuring how to drive them on the supra. The very nature of the way they produce the boost means the air is already pretty warm by the time it leave the charger and really needs to be cooled before going into the engine if you are planning in running the boost you are suggesting you wanting to.

Sorry I havnt kept you all updated on my project but busy with the new missus!!

When fitted the M90 to mine, I mounted it above the exhaust manifold where the turbos normally live. For this I had a bracket fabricated. Regarding the belts, I tried several options. Te only one which really worked for me was to have a larger pulley made for the waterpump and ran the belt around the lower half of this. The side effect of this was that water flow was not as good as previous as the pump would be running at haf the revs as it was designed to. That said, I had no overheating problems, I put this down to good luck and also when you consider the same pump is used on many big BHP Supras without being upgraded.

The downside of locating the SC on this side of the engine bay is that with the stock NA inlet manifold and throttle housing you are left with no room at all to plumb up a intercooler, sadly with lysholme screw type superchargers or their variants, heat is the biggest issue after figuring how to drive them on the supra. The very nature of the way they produce the boost means the air is already pretty warm by the time it leave the charger and really needs to be cooled before going into the engine if you are planning in running the boost you are suggesting you wanting to.

Sorry I havnt kept you all updated on my project but busy with the new missus!!

nice to see another one on the go. im going for a central mount and a custom bonnet. only problem with running the belt on the existing and extending it is exess wear etc. if the charger has its own pulley then it will make life a lot easyer. im also charge cooling so shouldnt have a problem like moast with hot air :)

i realy looking forward to seeing this completed successfuly, it does seem a bit ambitious though.. Its the shear size of the dam supercharger which puts me off due to lack of room.. what supporting mods are you throwing in with it?

i realy looking forward to seeing this completed successfuly, it does seem a bit ambitious though.. Its the shear size of the dam supercharger which puts me off due to lack of room.. what supporting mods are you throwing in with it?

yer gonna have to have the bonnet custom made to fit over it.

ive got already

supercharger

Fuel Pump

E-manage Blue with Boost sensor

Greedy E-01

i still need the injectors which i think ill buy monday and then its a matter of custom fitting it then i can but the intercooler and some lengths of 3" pipe to custom the charge pipes, oh and the intake and filter.

its getting there though. :D

well just an update guys, fitted the walbro fuel pump today and have purchased the E-manage blue and greedy E-01 to go with it. purchasing the injectors on monday and the supercharger should be in my hands by then so i can crack on with the fitment. this bonnet is goona be a pain though :banghead:

right guys and gals, a little update as i go. ive decided not to top mount the charger as i dont want a 13 inch bonnet scoop lol. so heres the new location, test fitted without mounts and all should be ok, bit more fabricating for the in and outlet but what the hell. ill start makeing the mounts tomorow. ive decided to attach it to the body and make Spring damper mounts which should take the twist of the engine, just need to recheck the twist degrees. if not its a long fab to attach it to the engine. :banghead:

supercharger 1 001.jpg

supercharger 1 002.jpg

supercharger 1 003.jpg

supercharger 1 004.jpg

Little bit of progress then ;)

Shame this isn't happening on a TT engine, they just look sooo much better :)

a lot of progress, nearly all the parts are here, jus need the intercooler and pipes thats it.

what part looks better~? its not finished (dressed) yet!

Don't worry mate, someones just got his car back and you probably forgot to post a compliment in his thread:p. Really interested in this project, will really set the cat among the pidgeons, proof will be Suprapod if you can make it.

Don't worry mate, someones just got his car back and you probably forgot to post a compliment in his thread:p. Really interested in this project, will really set the cat among the pidgeons, proof will be Suprapod if you can make it.

owwww i see. well im sure it looks lovely :innocent:

yer ill hopefully have it done in 4 weeks from now, just worrying me about this tilt degree if anyone knows it. ill do my best to have it done by then :D

Nice project:)

Looks a tight fit, what sort of clearance do you have between the charger and the turret? will being right next to the hot exhaust manifold be ok?

Is it charge cooled or intercooled?

yer running very close, about 6 inches minimum clearence. im putting the sheild back on and ill get some heat shield aswell, ill keep as much of the heat channel away from it. im fabricating the outlet pipe from narrow up to a 3" tube. no im now intercooling as i cant fit the charge coolers in there lol.

ow some for sale if anyone wants them! £190 & refurbed

How do you stop it snapping belts when the engine twists under torque as you are mounting to the chassis that wont move in the same way?

im spring loading dampers on the mounts. thats why i need the tilt degrees of the engine.

Being that close to the exh. manifold I would definately think chargecooling would be needed.

Whats the spec on the supercharger?

yer i cant fit the charge coolers so as long as i keep the heat filtered with heat shielding it should be ok.

the supercharger is an Eaton M112 4th gen

Sorry but i think you are asking for a big headache buy not attaching it to the block, for lots of fairly obvious reasons.

I also think running it next to the exhaust manifold will be rather problematical, you obviously need to fabricate an induction and exhaust manifold for the charger, have you got enough room?

Here is a link to a post on the SXOC that will give you some ideas, OK its a RB30 in an S15 but you're looking at similar engineering.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=327275

Sorry but i think you are asking for a big headache buy not attaching it to the block, for lots of fairly obvious reasons.

I also think running it next to the exhaust manifold will be rather problematical, you obviously need to fabricate an induction and exhaust manifold for the charger, have you got enough room?

Here is a link to a post on the SXOC that will give you some ideas, OK its a RB30 in an S15 but you're looking at similar engineering.

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=327275

i am trying to attach it to the block however running on spring dampers is suficiant enough if i was going that way, however i still need to mount it to the body to then make the mounts for the engine.

thanks for the link, monster car. running that close to the exhausts isnt a problem at all as long as i deflect the heat. heat sheilding on a 25 grade is suficiant in keeping out 300 degree heat so if i double it up then it will be fine. ;)

This just seems to be a bad idea, many have talked about a Supercharged Supra but it just doesn't seem to work, you would be better of selling the whole thing and buy a TT as i'm pretty sure a BPU car would out power the supercharged car and be more reliable.

This just seems to be a bad idea, many have talked about a Supercharged Supra but it just doesn't seem to work, you would be better of selling the whole thing and buy a TT as i'm pretty sure a BPU car would out power the supercharged car and be more reliable.

true, but again! its not the power i want, its the difference! anyone can bpu or TT but who can supercharge?. theres good points to having 600bhp but when can you use it? however having a 1st uk supercharged supra is better in my opinion