The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Supercharger Project

madmarf

Glad your not giving up, but lets just get a few issues straight,

The doubters as you call them, are just people who are experienced in various aspects of engineering, who have tried to give you advice, which you seem determined not to listen to with an "i know best attitude" which won't exactly endear you;)

You have kept saying that you're mounting the SC to the chassis, so its no surprise that the doubts kept coming.

OK fine you have now revealed that know about SCs in your work, so you must know that they are not mounted to the vehicle chassis cosmically.

I for one and i am sure quite a few others sincerely hope you succeed, so if your willing to listen, rather than shout everyone down, you will get plenty of support:)

point taken, fair play. i listen to everyone who would like to give advice, and im certainly someone who uses the expresion a lot (you learn something new every day). an sc mounted to a chassis in a proper mannor and set up correctly will not give any issues so long as the engine has been fixed securely (engine brace, mounts etc). i know this because i have done it before on 2 diffrent vehicles. i also have 1 monster truck on 4 fixed mounts running an sc running a cog belt.

dont get me wrong guys i like discusions and i apreciate everything everyone says, however when theres 10 of you going NO no NO no NO then you wind me up, say your point and then do what you will. dont keep going at me cause then ill just tell you shut up :D in the nicest possible way. and yes im easyly wound up, always will be. but that dosent make me a bad engineer, ive been customising and making spec vehicles for 8 years, and i mean chopped up tanks down to cars. but theres probably people here with more years experiance to which i will gladly take advice. right enough bableing on, lets start fresh. :D

the SC is mounted to the block atm, i am continuing with the project but i dont think it will be ready for japfest, i certainly hope so though but lets see.

again i apreciate your support and comments.

Edited by madmarf (see edit history)

• Replies 209
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good stuff man I've every confidence in you that you can do this, some fantastic results right there and plenty more to come. Do you need something like a fcd when the car goes under boost for it to run properly? I'm not 100% sure how the supras electrical system works

Good stuff man I've every confidence in you that you can do this, some fantastic results right there and plenty more to come. Do you need something like a fcd when the car goes under boost for it to run properly? I'm not 100% sure how the supras electrical system works

im plumbing in a wastegate and boost controller, and a BOV, but thats a way off yet lol

I know how a wastegate and boost controller work I am just curious how they interact with a SC.

Wastegates control exhaust flow therefore enabling you to regulate boost, please correct me if I am wrong but the SC is driven from a belt and the boost is determined by the size of the pullys.

Wastegate and boost controller on a SC?

Blow off valve would make sense, but as you say wastegate?? Don't get it. Wastegate is on the hot end with the exhaust.... Hmmmm, for someone who works with SCs all day everyday, that is a bit of a weird statement to make..

wastegate is controled by the boost controler, set it to open at set psi from the manifold etc and bov as the charger i have dosent have antistall.

My bov was too small on my s/c and I ended up chewing through belts every 700kms :(

Just found this on the below site. :)

But what is a wastegate, and how does it help a blower car? In simplest terms, a wastegate is fastened to the exhaust piping (hot side) of a turbocharger system to control boost level. It regulates boost by bleeding off exhaust gas to slow the turbocharger impeller speed. The wastegate is fed boost via a vacuum hose, the user predetermines the boost level at which he wants to bleed boost, and the turbo will not exceed that number. The uber-cool whooshing sound from a turbo engine is also created by the wastegate when it opens.

Why use it in conjunction with a centrifugal blower when it's not exhaust driven? Because in this application, the wastegate is not installed on the exhaust side but rather on the inlet tube. So why not just use a bypass valve? Bypass valves control boost and are a fixed entity in that they are open or closed. There is no way for the bypass valve to open partially to bleed off boost and achieve a max boost setting. The wastegate is designed to perform this function, however, we are diverting compressed air rather than exhaust gases. It's a different type of relief, but in the end, the wastegate controls the amount of boost in the manifold.

Utilizing the wastegate in this application has a distinct advantage when tooling around the streets. It allows the supercharger to be pulley'd up for maximum efficient impeller speed at the engine's peak rpm. Our test subject (Grundman's '90 Saleen Mustang) is equipped with a D.S.S.-built 331-Dart block, steel crank, TFS heads, and so on-with a Vortech YSi-Trim super-charger. Running near maximum impeller speed means boost will be somewhere in the neighbor-hood of 19-20 psi-far too much for a pump-gas application and to keep the tires under the back of the car on the street. Grundman often prowls the New York roadways and didn't want to keep burning the expensive high-octane fuel every time he ran to the Qwiki Mart. He also didn't want the hassle of doing a lot of work when he hits the strip in race trim. Spetter's solution was to add the wastegate and boost controller to give his customer the best of both worlds.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0708_vortech_centrifugal_supercharger_wastegate_install/index.html

aftermarket wastegates are fitted and plumbed to the boost controler, the wastegate is fitted just like a BOV on the charge pipe and allows it to discharge at a set psi etc etc. not all wastegates are exhaust operated, you can control them completely seperately

aftermarket wastegates are fitted and plumbed to the boost controler, the wastegate is fitted just like a BOV on the charge pipe and allows it to discharge at a set psi etc etc. not all wastegates are exhaust operated, you can control them completely seperately

The post above by missle cleared it up, you are using it to regulate boost on the inlet side. Not worked with SCs before so I hadnt heard of this.

Carry on, as you were, nothing to see here :D

Just found this on the below site. :)

But what is a wastegate, and how does it help a blower car? In simplest terms, a wastegate is fastened to the exhaust piping (hot side) of a turbocharger system to control boost level. It regulates boost by bleeding off exhaust gas to slow the turbocharger impeller speed. The wastegate is fed boost via a vacuum hose, the user predetermines the boost level at which he wants to bleed boost, and the turbo will not exceed that number. The uber-cool whooshing sound from a turbo engine is also created by the wastegate when it opens.

Why use it in conjunction with a centrifugal blower when it's not exhaust driven? Because in this application, the wastegate is not installed on the exhaust side but rather on the inlet tube. So why not just use a bypass valve? Bypass valves control boost and are a fixed entity in that they are open or closed. There is no way for the bypass valve to open partially to bleed off boost and achieve a max boost setting. The wastegate is designed to perform this function, however, we are diverting compressed air rather than exhaust gases. It's a different type of relief, but in the end, the wastegate controls the amount of boost in the manifold.

Utilizing the wastegate in this application has a distinct advantage when tooling around the streets. It allows the supercharger to be pulley'd up for maximum efficient impeller speed at the engine's peak rpm. Our test subject (Grundman's '90 Saleen Mustang) is equipped with a D.S.S.-built 331-Dart block, steel crank, TFS heads, and so on-with a Vortech YSi-Trim super-charger. Running near maximum impeller speed means boost will be somewhere in the neighbor-hood of 19-20 psi-far too much for a pump-gas application and to keep the tires under the back of the car on the street. Grundman often prowls the New York roadways and didn't want to keep burning the expensive high-octane fuel every time he ran to the Qwiki Mart. He also didn't want the hassle of doing a lot of work when he hits the strip in race trim. Spetter's solution was to add the wastegate and boost controller to give his customer the best of both worlds.

http://www.musclemustangfastfords.com/tech/mmfp_0708_vortech_centrifugal_supercharger_wastegate_install/index.html

think we hit the send button at the same time lol, well found bud ;)

The post above by missle cleared it up, you are using it to regulate boost on the inlet side. Not worked with SCs before so I hadnt heard of this.

Carry on, as you were, nothing to see here :D

Agreed, will take foot and put it firmly back on the ground :)

still takes it quite well, after all the n/a is a TT engine without a turbo ;) or is it just the block ? cant remember now. but im sure you can run up to 12psi on n/a and up to 16 psi on TT, im sure someone will correct me though :D

I believe the n/a is the same as the TT except for the TT having oil squirters. I remember hearing somewhere that the drag cars sometimes run n/a engines as they dont want the squirters as they need the oil pressure that is lost in them.

Could be wrong there though.

I believe the n/a is the same as the TT except for the TT having oil squirters. I remember hearing somewhere that the drag cars sometimes run n/a engines as they dont want the squirters as they need the oil pressure that is lost in them.

Could be wrong there though.

Thats correct.

• 3 weeks later...