Matt H

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Nothing to do with bowl problems then?!?! :D

And secondly :rlol: - dodgy overnight locations?! haha, we have a DOGGER!!

I can fart with the best of em (been decated) but no special problems there.

Not dogging (honest officer) but spotted outside womens places overnight instead of at home. Dont get me wrong, wasnt being unfaithful but having a good time. Too old for that now :eyebrows: (nearly)

A few months ago I saw a discussion in parliament about relaxing the laws around car registration rules. This would allow a plate such as "SUPRA" with no numbers required. The arguement was it would raise a lot of money for the DVLA as its such a growing market. I guess this would devalue a lot of the current plates tho.. This was new legislation they were trying to push through and in its early stages..

The only web link i can find after a quick scan of google is below

http://www.independent.co.uk/life-style/motoring/features/3nd-0f-th3-r04d-could-a-new-law-mean-the-end-of-personalised-number-plates-1005495.html

"These drivers rely on "platespeak", as it is known in the business, to compose their unique signage – substituting a "5" for an "S", for example, an "A" for a "4", and so on.

Duddridge objects to this. He wants to know why one of his constituents, wanting to advertise their home town on a number plate, should have to resort to an awkward piece of platespeak such as S44 FND (SARFEND) rather than simply being allowed to buy a plate that reads SOUTHEND. Under his scheme, he would be able to buy JAMES, rather than having to settle for J4 MES, or apply for a new plate, JPD, instead of having to bid for the prohibitively expensive pre-1963 JPD1.

If Duddridge gets his way, we'd miss out on deciphering platespeak. But another concern with his plan is that it might undermine the prices of existing plates and the trade in them; could the value of J4 MES really be left unaffected by the release of the previously unavailable JAMES? "

As far as i am concerned the majority of people who have private plates are trying to disguise their age (of their car in most cases).

In saying that, a couple of my cars have them, but they were already on the car. They dont appeal to me.

As far as i am concerned the majority of people who have private plates are trying to disguise their age (of their car in most cases).

In saying that, a couple of my cars have them, but they were already on the car. They dont appeal to me.

Well, my car is a 1993, so the private registration letter is also 'L' (1993), as the original. I haven't tried to disguise it at all, which you can't anyway, only make it look even older.

i dont agree at all mine means something to me and i imagine other people feel the same about there plates.

Mine starts with D13 thats a reg from 1987!

Indeed, it was either A1FA or ALF4 can't remember exactly which one.
Well it wouldn't be A1 FA...... and whatever it is, it's worth zilch until the car has an MOT :)

One of my bikes has a 250 quid plate with my initials. I don't know if I'd pay much more than that, though.

One thing I do regret is that, many years ago, I sold a Norton with 13 ADD on it ("BADD"), not realizing that I could have kept the registration, and that it was worth money.

Edited by garethr (see edit history)

Although I didn't expect it, when I fitted a private plate to my 964 it did suddenly make it feel much more like "my" car. I added one to the supra for the same reason. I don't think I'd every spend silly amounts on one - but as long as it's a "nice" car then I think I'd probably do the same again in the future.

I used to think private plates were a bit tacky as time went on I began to appreciate them more. I bought my Supe with the plate C1 5PRA which is still on it today. I recent bought F8ANK which is on the Smart car LOL :)

If they're done properly, ie. not using a screw to make a 11 look more like an H etc, then I think they will always look good IMO.

Mine's L (reg/lucky) 7 (birth date) AOW (initials). Nice and simple :)

I remember yrs ago a mate i used to ride bikes with, his dad was quite old compared to the average and had for free one of the 1st reg numbers issued 1 VP, think the families still got it, vernons pools apparently offered £45k for it a few years ago.

Guest Killer Heels

I love mine and think it just finished the car off - also i get noticed a lot due to it!

I bought Mike his when he went from the aerotop to the TT.

I think the right plate can be just as good as the right bit of kit.

k x