The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How important is a private reg to you?

Matt H

Got "A2 S00" (for Soo) when they were first sold by the DVLA, £250 - bargain :)

Wish I could have afforded £350 for "A2 SUE" as an investment though :( would be worth more than the Supe now :Pling:

Quite like reg's ending with BYE (as in V 999 BYE) or WOW or XXX

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

when i found i couldnt put my plate on my supra i was gutted, it has a irish plate and i was told the year so it was fine, but when i sent off it was the right year but i missed the year for my plate by like a month.

i did consider selling the car at first!!!!!

yeah that is true... just outta interest... did I meet you at japfest last year, I was with stevie?

Umm, not sure, have a look in my pictures folder in my profile page. There's one in there of me.

Surely S11 PRA would be better ;)

Much better! doh

Noticed on the way into Edinburgh the other day an old Alfa Romeo parked in a driveway. It doesn't look like it's moved in at least 3 years as it was covered in moss! But it has the plate A1fa, that must be worth an absolute mint.

Wow, that is a hell of a reg, thats at least a 6 figure some. I think you need to go and put an offer in on the car!!!! who knows might end up spending £500 and getting back thosands!

Really?

Indeed, it was either A1FA or ALF4 can't remember exactly which one. Was worth way more than the car anyway.....

Surely the person would know it's worth a mint though, it's also parked on a very busy road on the way into Edinburgh so I'd imagine it's been spotted a few times. Going into Edinburgh tommorow so will double check what the plate is.

Edited by JohnnyW (see edit history)

When my son KYLE was small I bought a brand new car (waste of money) & bought from the dvla for about £240 the number K4KYL.

hed been learning his alphabet A for Apple etc & he soon learnt K for KYLE so I bought it.

My own reg I have had for about 20 years. I put it on my porche 928 then on the supra when I switched. Its GAS 2X

my initials are GAS thats why.

Everybody recognises me from it which is Ok but in the past has been spotted in some embarassing locations overnight ;)

I know it may sound a little sad, but I always wanted a private plate, but either couldn't afford one, didn't know what I wanted or didn't have a car good enough to put it on!

The one I eventually settled on, mainly because I didn't want to spend any more than the minimum, cost me £250 including the registration fee and some new plates (£40). The re-registration at DVLA is easy and I'm glad I've got it. :)

Its GAS 2X

my initials are GAS thats why.

Everybody recognises me from it which is Ok but in the past has been spotted in some embarassing locations overnight ;)

Nothing to do with bowl problems then?!?! :D

And secondly :rlol: - dodgy overnight locations?! haha, we have a DOGGER!!

The reg can help make the car. It is the cars name. If ther cars reg is YM02 KOK, or RG53 DIK, then I feel it would generally take away from the car a little. There are plenty of ugly looking numberplates, but many more nice ones.

The ones with your name on are fine for confident people that are out there.

Anonynous ones are good too, it just depends where you are in life. If it makes you feel good, then why not? It's like jewelerey for car owners.

My car reg is important to me, it is a personalised one, and I feel adds to the desirability and fun of the car.

And in these hard times, it is something that people are likely to spend money on. That and prostitutes. ;)

Non prefix plates are the best as you can put them on any age car, i used to have ADS 22 which are my intials, i doubled my money when i sold it so it was a pretty good investment i'd say :)

Wasnt 500 PRA (SOOPRA) sold a while ago for not silly money ?

Indeed, it was either A1FA or ALF4 can't remember exactly which one. Was worth way more than the car anyway.....

Surely the person would know it's worth a mint though, it's also parked on a very busy road on the way into Edinburgh so I'd imagine it's been spotted a few times. Going into Edinburgh tommorow so will double check what the plate is.

Maybe they know and just don't care?

The folk that owned the castle in my home town used to have a battered Renault 5 (basic model) with the reg "FAT 1", that must have been worth 100x more than the car it was on, I think they had a few in the series too, I haven't seen it, or the others, in a long time though.