The mkiv Supra Owners Club

How important is a private reg to you?

Matt H

I dont like my plate on the supra

L9 BYE

I have RS 57 FOR for the RS4 which i love and D10 JCW on retention.

I have a list of ones that i want that i check for every now and then.

My father has quite a good collection going:

1CH

1BO

W111LLY

O S0 5OFT

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I dont like my plate on the supra

L9 BYE

I have RS 57 FOR for the RS4 which i love and D10 JCW on retention.

I have a list of ones that i want that i check for every now and then.

My father has quite a good collection going:

1CH

1BO

W111LLY

O S0 5OFT

What would we sell the 1CH for. CH are my initials.

I would have been happy with any old 'P' plate tbh.

Can I just point out I was quite drunk when I made this 'none' comment. Usually I wouldn't get involved in ten page 'Matt H'-a-thons talking about private plates and the like.

I obviously had a mental slip and felt the need to get involved with the triviality.

Normal service will resume. Carry on.

It's also a nice thought, that any car you have from there on can also be re-registered with your plate (as long as it isn't any older, etc), so its almost a plate for life. :)

I doubt very much that I'll buy a car older than a 1993, so that should be a safe bet, that I will keep the plate going forever.

Edited by AndrewOW (see edit history)

What if you already had all those things and had a bit of spare cash?

Agreed. As you get a bit older and get life under more control you can afford to do things that are incomprehensible to others. Sometimes it is good to be frivolous and vain and it does no harm in the great scheme of things and makes you feel good. If it also sets you apart from the crowd, then all the better.

i've had a few people think my current and previous plate were private.

My previous car was M199CEY and even i thought it did look like a private plate even tho it wasn't, so it saved the hastle of getting one. :D

The supra is M730 NEL and more than one person has presumed my name was Neil just on this bassis.

Perhaps it's something to do with M plate cars that make them seem like a private plate? (perhaps just me tho) :D

Can't say I'm overly fussed by them.

Especially after concluding a very good deal for one only to be screwed over by the resident forum idiot for it, think he may have sold it on now as I hear he has a new one (if we're lucky he'll start an attention grabbing thread about it :rolleyes:)

Can't say I'm overly fussed by them.

Especially after concluding a very good deal for one only to be screwed over by the resident forum idiot for it, think he may have sold it on now as I hear he has a new one (if we're lucky he'll start an attention grabbing thread about it :rolleyes:)

I think I remember that one! ;)

What if you already had all those things and had a bit of spare cash?
That'd probably be a different matter. And a different question too - "How important would a private reg be to you if money was no object?" ;)

I also think that in the OPs position I'd be concentrating on getting (and keeping) a reliable, safe car on the road first.

Never seen the point myself, inclined to think it gives the wrong message:taped:

agree, personally i love my 'L' reg, it gives me a great sence of satifaction when you 'own' the brand spanking new BM,Merc,Porker etc whos been sat at the traffic lights looking down his nose at you, it basically says you just got it handed to you by a 16 year old Toyota mate :eyebrows:

I'm not that bothered with them, depending on what they say and what car they are on, they can look good.

Although I do cringe when I see Corsa's and Saxo's with screws all over the plate, and silly looking fonts. That just says 'I couldn't afford a better plate' to me.