How important is a private reg to you?

Matt H

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Years ago I bought an old Audi 100 from a police compound(those were the days:eyebrows:) with a personal reg on it for £50 as the owner had past away in custody and his relatives didn't want it so I made a stupid offer which got accepted, sold the car for scrap and got £80 for it! Was a lot of bits and pieces in the boot that I got another £30 for!

Had to get the car MOT'd before I could transfer the number to my car and although the car wasn't really roadworthy I convinced the tester that I was only after the reg number and that I already had a scrap dealer to buy the car so he gave me the ticket. The car also had 6 months tax which I got a refund on!

Cost me £80 to transfer over but sold it 6 months later for £900 and that was after the firm took their commission and the VAT paid :eyebrows:

Any motor sat around with a good number will have to be able to pass the MOT and have at least 6 months tax on it which means most registrations cannot be transferred unless they are already on retention and then the price rockets!

I saw J80 SUP for sale just before Christmas for £740 plus fees and transfer fee to the government which was a bargain I think:innocent:

Can't say I'm overly fussed by them.

Especially after concluding a very good deal for one, only to be screwed over by the resident forum idiot for it, think he may have sold it on now as I hear he has a new one (if we're lucky he'll start an attention grabbing thread about it :rolleyes:)

First thing I thought of when I saw this thread.

Not fussed myself, but if parents/sister/gf bought me one I'd probably use it.

I havnt read all this but I think personal plates are a little crap. A bit like having rainbow window wipers or something - drawing attention to a really irrelevant part of your car.

However Id have a nondescript one to disguise the age of my car as some people are like "oh.... a K reg car..." and I cant say Im particularly bothered by that but it would be something Id like to stop.

Don't think I'd ever be tempted to pay anything more than about £30 to change my plates.

A number plate is just a bollox piece of information that is used by the government in my view.

Be good to have cars without number plates in the first place. In this day and age everythings should be electronic.

Ive got a few on retention.

EV0 5OOM (had it on my EVO and kept it)

BAS11L (my Dad Basil's Numberplate that i kept when he past away)

J6MY P (bit like my name)

Thinking about buying "F8ST J" for the Supra, what you think?:)

I think J6My P looks like it could be an advert for Jammie Dogers.... maybe! :D

BAS11L is a good one.

Don't like Evo Zoom, it's just trying to hard to make something there! ;)