The mkiv Supra Owners Club

JamieP's New Supra Project!

JamieP

I've had same problems with ambiant under bonnet heat since fitting my ally rad, fitted 2 big fans that sounds like concorde taking off about 8500cfm helps pull air through rad, only problem it then cools it too much :)

I'm looking at putting ome bonnet hinge lifters on to let hot air come out over screen area.

I've already put ducting in to scoop fresh air from under headlight and i take headlight out when doing drag runs but that isn't much use when taking it out on road.

I thought about plastic headlight, then cut hole on duct through straight onto a filter box :)

• Replies 2.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Will be interesting to see how my temps are tomorrow as I have a ducted headlight.

I find the first couple of runs temps are ok, if i want to do 4 or 5 runs back to back it definaly help taking light out.

I think the advantage of the ducted headlight is you don't loose much through bad air flow. I end up with tape around my headlight sleve trying to smooth the edges and block hole, looks :(

I after some clear (helecopter) tape to flush my bonnet off next year ;)

Similar, the other one he does dont have a hole cut in it so people with single turbos can cut themself.

Jamie

i'd be interested in this too. let me know if you are going to get one, if so, can you add one more to the list.

like you, ill cut the relevant hole myself to get my filter to fit.

lastly, is the box covered, what stops it from sucking in hot air from the top?

Edited by imi (see edit history)

i really dont think changing the way the car sucks the air in is going to make that much of a difference . The temp difference is large, so looking at the way the car pushes the air into the fmic then into the intake. I had the same problem, it turned out there were some leaves on my fmic. The rad is not going to make a difference to the intake temp, its doing its job by extracting the heat from the water. Try removing the turbo blanket , it keeps the turbo hot. Else i would say a faulty sensor. Were is the sensor located ?? you may have an airlock in the head when you change the rad , causing it to warm it up and if the sensor is on intake near the head then the heat transfer could have increased the reading .

good luck for tomorrow. hope the weather holds out for everyone.

Removing the Turbo Blanket......doesnt that have any adverse effects on the items near the turbo in the engine bay?

I tend to use a shield to deflect all the heat downwards. The only thing near the turbo is the brake res, which has a shield on it . Yes it does increase engine temp , but it also holds more heat on the turbo. With it non ballbearing turbo, they tend not to last long... that from my experiance.

Struggled with the intgake temps all day pulling timing at the pod but when i touched other people intake manifolds if anything they was hotter than mine so my money is on a dodgy sensor now.

Had a great day, managed a 11.7@126mph and happy with that.

i put one of these cold air boxes in my uk car,replacing my heat shield.could not believe the difference in performance all round.reccomend this to anybody. somone asked how dose it seal at top? simple,rubber seal which meets with bonnet

cool - in that this is a must have item.

Jamie - let me know if you are getting one too.....

Struggled with the intgake temps all day pulling timing at the pod but when i touched other people intake manifolds if anything they was hotter than mine so my money is on a dodgy sensor now.

Had a great day, managed a 11.7@126mph and happy with that.

I saw that run, Your supra sounded well nice. I think i mite have a video of it

Likewise mate, great car. The wife got my car mixed up with yours, hense why she said i got a 11.7. They look the same from the front :D

Funny that i walked up to yours and was pressing my blipper but the door would not open:search: then tried the key in the door and that never worked, that got me scratching my head then i realised it was not my car:d

Funny that i walked up to yours and was pressing my blipper but the door would not open:search: then tried the key in the door and that never worked, that got me scratching my head then i realised it was not my car:d

You crack me up :rlol: