Blackwidow Supra

imi

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry if I've missed it but have you had a compression test done?

Dyno Run - Dec 2010 - 1st map session after Syvecs & Whifbitz Exhaust

Read this

While the car was running roughly (due to running lean) - Lee did a comp test, all cylinders were reporting 130.

quick road map by Ryan in May ironed out all the roughness and the car is silky smooth. Had it not been for the recent dyno run I would have expected the car to perform the same if not better than back in december (due to new coil packs and service)

2 yrs back when the car went single, Pheonix did a through check on the engine, his comp test resulted in 155-160 in all cylinders.

ive been told that the numbers are not that important, what is is that all should be more or less the same.

The numbers aren't that important until a certain level. 130 seems a little low to me and would indicate even wear IMO. The reason for all the cylinders being even, I think, is to show if rings have cracked etc. It would be blindingly obvious that something was wrong in x cylinder if it was down a lot more than the others. Dropping from 160 to 130 over a couple of years is a fair whack IMO. Of course there may be mitigating factors but it would explain the power drop.

The numbers aren't that important until a certain level. 130 seems a little low to me and would indicate even wear IMO. The reason for all the cylinders being even, I think, is to show if rings have cracked etc. It would be blindingly obvious that something was wrong in x cylinder if it was down a lot more than the others. Dropping from 160 to 130 over a couple of years is a fair whack IMO. Of course there may be mitigating factors but it would explain the power drop.

Since December 2010, so over 5 months?

Since December 2010, so over 5 months?

If it's in that short a time I would investigate that area to be honest. There is no way the turbo is blowing oil anyway, the pipes are spotless. I think the only other area of the turbo that would cause issue would be the bearing, you would be able to tell with how freely it spun and how much play there was in the shaft.

I take it the hotside of the turbo looks ok?

As others have said that all looks good Imi, shows it's now blowing oil out of the compressor side of the turbo, but that doesn't mean it's not blowing out of the exducer (and if what Ryan suspects is true it's that side that's going to be faulty)

Not sure when you got it booked into Lee's or how adventurous you are with the spanners, but it would be good to get the turbo cartridge removed to inspect the hot side of the turbo and see if that is still in one peice. Maybe not worthwhile as whatever the issue is it's going to Lee's..

The compression test wasn't 130 all the way along. I cant remember exactly as it was a while ago but 3 cylinders were low, one worse than the others. I think 2 were around 130 and another around 100 and the others were all over 160.

The compression test wasn't 130 all the way along. I cant remember exactly as it was a while ago but 3 cylinders were low, one worse than the others. I think 2 were around 130 and another around 100 and the others were all over 165.

Ahh, that's not right then. Not good news :(

Would explain where your horses have gone too.

The compression test wasn't 130 all the way along. I cant remember exactly as it was a while ago but 3 cylinders were low, one worse than the others. I think 2 were around 130 and another around 100 and the others were all over 160.

Thx for clarifying Lee, will call you on Monday to discuss next steps.

Homer - yup, beyond my DIY skills, will leave it to the professionals.

Imi

• 3 weeks later...

29C in london today, was stuck in loads of traffic on the way to west london, Air Temps crept upto 80C while Oil Temps were touching 120C.

Certainly nice for the DASH2 to inform me of all that, however not sure whether that is something to be concerned about or not.

BTW: Water Temps were 90C

120C oil temps? I don't often get near that after 20 hard laps on a track day. Something amiss here. I suppose idle air intake temps might reach 80C in traffic though, still hefty.
I don't think imi uses an oil cooler *I think* if that makes any difference?

I don't think imi uses an oil cooler *I think* if that makes any difference?

Not a separate one, no.

120C oil temps? I don't often get near that after 20 hard laps on a track day. Something amiss here. I suppose idle air intake temps might reach 80C in traffic though, still hefty.

any suggestions as to what it could be?

P.S: am assuming that the oil temp reading is accurate.

Edited by imi (see edit history)

• 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

The Project has been complete for a long time however looking to tweak a few things here and there.

Thanks for JZA80 and others on here I have managed to setup the system so that it sounds amazingly better than before (and I thought it couldn't be improved). The Stock Door cards with SRD Speaker brackets finish off the installation very well.

Some Other news:

Filled it up with BP 4 weeks ago and I got 16mpg.

Filled it up with Shell 2 weeks ago and I got 20mpg (which is very surprising considering that the car hasn't done 20mpg ever since I went single). Have filled it again with Optimax and if it gives close to 20mpg again then I will spill the beans as to what has changed ;)

Edited by imi (see edit history)