The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Blackwidow Supra

imi

Got LeeP to work his magic on the car - details to follow soon, he did point out that the battery kept losing its charge after 2 days - as I drive my car everyday I hadn't noticed this issue.

Being a Halfords battery, got it checked by them, they agreed that it was in bad shape and needed to be replaced - the look on her face when I presented a 3 years and 11 months old receipt was priceless as the battery came with a 4 year warranty. :)

I now have a brand new halfords calcium battery with 1 months warranty.....:blink:

:D awesome.

• Replies 503
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It does make sense, otherwise you could go on for the rest of your life never buying another battery from them. The The warranty obviously relates to the initial purchase, he's not purchased anything new.

That's not a parts warranty though, the warranty should cover the part... not the purchase.

I guess it works by the original battery bought 3 years 11 months. They replaced it as he had 1 month left and also left him with the 1 month warranty remaining daaah lol.

Thats right Jazz, just reiterate something the original poster told us.

We already know what happened genius, the discussion is whether the warranty should be started again on the new part (IMO it should) or whether it should be classed as a purchase warranty and only cover the term agreement.

That's not a parts warranty though, the warranty should cover the part... not the purchase.

The warranty is as it states, you can call it whatever you want. By your token, the purchaser could potentially spend his entire life in free batteries. The way I see it, Imi has a brand new battery after nearly 4 years and that battery should last another lengthy time - he's done well. If anything, Halfords should give a new Warranty on defects for a short period, but to give another 4 years would be a mental business model. It's not like a lifetime warranty which you get on some of the tools.

Edited by Matt H (see edit history)

Got LeeP to work his magic on the car - details to follow soon, he did point out that the battery kept losing its charge after 2 days - as I drive my car everyday I hadn't noticed this issue.

Being a Halfords battery, got it checked by them, they agreed that it was in bad shape and needed to be replaced - the look on her face when I presented a 3 years and 11 months old receipt was priceless as the battery came with a 4 year warranty. :)

I now have a brand new halfords calcium battery with 1 months warranty.....:blink:

Haha quality!

How did they managed to read your receipt? Mine was only 6 months old when it went duff.

I took the receipt out which was neatly packed in a folder and all the writing had disappeared! :blink:

After some inspecting the Halfords guy find a code & worked out I wasn't from The Hustle. :D

Guy fitting it said, we don't get much cars now where the engine isn't under a plastic cover with a badge. He took a photo of the car from the rear as well, thought the TRD spolier had a nice profile to the rear. :)

Thats right Jazz, just reiterate something the original poster told us. We already know what happened genius,
:D

the discussion is whether the warranty should be started again on the new part (IMO it should) or whether it should be classed as a purchase warranty and only cover the term agreement.

I would be disappointed if it were me as despite it being "free" it is still a replacement for a defective product and I would expect a new warranty to begin again.

....but to give another 4 years would be a mental business model....

I disagree. I think it would be a superb way of generating more business. What I mean is that whilst Halfords may seem to be losing out by giving the new warranty, it is the battery manufacturer who picks up the cost as they will have backed up Halfords with the same warranty.

Therefore, word goes round that Halfords offer a superb service etc (and on a very limited amount of replacement batteries) and the manufacturer picks up the tab.

The warranty is as it states, you can call it whatever you want. By your token, the purchaser could potentially spend his entire life in free batteries. The way I see it, Imi has a brand new battery after nearly 4 years and that battery should last another lengthy time - he's done well. If anything, Halfords should give a new Warranty on defects for a short period, but to give another 4 years would be a mental business model. It's not like a lifetime warranty which you get on some of the tools.

I know where you are coming from, however... For me a warranty is given to instill faith in the buyer that the products they are purchasing are of a sufficient enough quality that they can cover them with x months/years warranty. I don't for 1 second believe that halfords have batteries made that last 3 years and 11 months and then give out a 4 year warranty. They will always be manufactured with a cushion of 50% minimum IMO. The fact that this product has failed simply means that it is one of the few that doesn't come up to scratch. Giving out a new battery with the full 4 year warranty on the product would gain instill the faith in the purchaser.

If they can't dish out another 4 year warranty then they clearly have no faith in their product, why should we?

...If they can't dish out another 4 year warranty then they clearly have no faith in their product, why should we?

I am pretty sure the assistant could easily have given another 4 year warranty if he had wanted. maybe he / she was having a bad day or maybe Imi had his Victor Meldrew head on :D

I am pretty sure the assistant could easily have given another 4 year warranty if he had wanted. maybe he / she was having a bad day or maybe Imi had his Victor Meldrew head on :D

I would say definitely. Probably had a cynical head on due to the extent of the warranty claim and decided to give hee haw.

I would still feel put out though TBH. Not enough to go letter writing, but post writing definitely :D

This made me quite curious actually so I just had a look at the receipt they gave me...

http://i1046.photobucket.com/albums/b465/Abz1324/d0447588.jpg

I did challenge the halfords rep as I subscribe to our welsh and scottish compatriot line of thinking...this is what she pointed out to me too. :(

In any case, I paid GBP70 for the battery 4 years ago, the fact that they honoured the warranty with no questions asked is what impressed me.

the lesson for others is to:

1) Keep hold of the receipt - put it in an air tight jar if need be :D

2) Get them to inspect the battery FIRST before presenting the receipt and not the other way round ;)

• 1 month later...
Graham looks so sweet at the back, hope fat boy didn't bug you too much

fat boy was the most social....the fluffy black one is a real bully, kept spitting at poor graham.

Gorgeous Cats - wish my wife would allow me to have one :(

PS: pics taken from cracked iphone :)

• 3 weeks later...

Fitted a new set of Coil Packs to the car today - thanks to Lee for giving me the confidence in doing it myself - hardest challenge was to get the Phillips screws off the old ones (they were pretty much seized).

Question

I noticed both breather pipes between the two cam covers were split round one end - the one between 4&5 was worse than the other. a couple of drops of oil on the inside of that pipe - is that normal?

Is it OK for me to drive the car until I get a new set of pipes from Toyota (say another 2 weeks).

imi

Guest gazza

Also considering a PHR street kit - however the turbo is smaller than a T61 and it seems to run out of steam at the high-end.

i looked at these kits the other day, it loose's performance in the top end because they use a hks cast manifold to keep it very easy to drive on the street, pulls well from low to mid range and runs out of steam about 5800rpm i think it was. if you want it to pull round abit more it think you need the phr street stage 1 same kit but use's hks 6 branch manifold, this 1 pulls round to 7000rpm easy, but you loose some of the nice low end grunt as the turbo takes longer to spin up.

• 1 month later...

A lot has changed with the car since December, you will have noticed a few for sale threads for the AEM, PLX, etc that is because the car now has the following:

Thanks LeeP & Ryan

• Syvecs ECU
  • Dash 2
  • Whifbitz Exhaust System
  • new ICE system
  • Other Cosmetic Changes - stay tuned.
  • new Wheels & Tyres ;)
  • new Clutch (southbend), Flywheel & Slave Cylinder
  • new Bosch Fuel Pump - bloody noisy.
  • new CW Pads all round

Back in December @ SRR the car pushed 594bhp @ SRR; started to misfire when pushed more and was suggested that I change the fuel pump (the walbro was 7 years old), plugs & put in new coil packs.

Due to a faulty new AFR sensor the car has since been mapped again in limp mode (not a good experience as the car seems to be running rough) - Now that Lee has serviced the car, changed the plugs and connected the oil pressure, temp probes and a replacement AFR sensor I am looking forward to tomorrows SRR session.

imi

Edited by imi (see edit history)