The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Nurburgring: 5th~10th July - write-up

Tom S

Hi everyone, couldnt post last night as i got back late and was too knackered.

Got to say what a trip, start to finnish everything was brill, the people that went really made it special and thanks to steve for organising everything the place and people were fantastic mate.

Now onto the actual circuit, its the best thing ive ever done, as many of you know i`m a bit of a track a holic and the ring was like heaven for me, but having played endless hours on the playstation did pay off a little bit as far as knowing where the corners go, what you dont get is the undulations and bumps which really can catch you out, oh and the treat of the weekend was george taking me out for a lap in his green monster Wow what a car what a driver, then we did a lap with me hanging on in mine so i could follow his lines so thanks for that george if you read this, i`ll have some vids soon. Now back to reality and ive got to go to work.Forgot to mention we all got back ok, to the uk anyway.

• Replies 299
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looking forward to seeing the videos and pics,

thanks for your company and good to see so many supras at the ring. Mike said he will organize the next one so look forward to seeing all there again. A great bunch of lads behaving themselves and having fun.

There is nothing to compare to the rush you get driving a fast car round the ring, worth every penny, must keep away from the barriers though

Hi. George:)

Glad you got back OK.

Getting out on the ring as a passenger in your car was great experience!

It gave me confidence in the supra and showed me just what a the car could do in the right hands

Top bloke. top driver:) Keep it up:d:d

Hi everybody. Hope y'all got back without falling asleep

I'd just like to thank Steve for getting this to happen and fit me into the trip so late in the day as well Ah Aristo for the Ferry ticket.:)

All in all a good trip made great by the people involved...

When are we going again:d:d

It was a great trip and I'm glad everyone enjoyed it. My only regret is forgetting to take George up on his offer of a passenger lap - maybe next time eh george? :)

I was hoping that after getting the Ring into my blood last year I'd start shifting it out on this, my second trip there - unfortunately the opposite is true and I really miss it already. :(

I'd love to think I coudl afford to go back out there again this year, but if not, I'll almost certainly be back next year and will be happy to organise a 'group trip' if people want me to.

I'll get started on a write up so I can look back in a few months and remind myself to save up for next year.... ;)

just a thought about accomodation,

I normaly stay at sliders guest house Bendan & Suz, Brendan is English, you can find it on Ben Lovejoys site, its clean and basic but has 25 beds and is great at the end of the day chewing the fat and and watching the days videos on his 40inch tv, we normaly get in takeaways pizza ect and sit and talk all night beer on site for the drinkers. Brendans has a lot of videos of laps of the ring to watch.

Just thought it would be good for you guys to be under one roof, so once you have made a date let me know if you are interested because he gets filled up quickly mostly with bikers, so you can do a block booking and fill the place up if there is enough, there are some rooms with 2/3 beds if you dont mined kipping in the same room about 28e each at the moment but dont worry if you prefer to make your own arrangments, but it might be nice to be able to stay together in a relaxed environment

Glad you all got home safely

I for one am still recovering!

After tagging along with AJI & his crew last year, I put my neck on the line this year and said I'd organise the club trip this year after Aron said he wasn't planning to.

Military planning was put into operation and in the end was mostly chucked out of the window with a few last minute changes; Martin & Ian R both had car troubles and had to drop out along with a non-board member, but Darren (D-Bone) and Robbie filled their places so we were back to full strength again:

Steve & Kate - Silver TT6

Darren - Storm Blue TT Auto

Henk - Silver TT Auto (half BPU)

Robbie - White T(61?) Auto

Bignum & Joe - Red TT6 (BPU, stripped & caged)

Andy & James - Black Impreza WRX (stripped, caged, Toyo 888s!)

+ JSpecGermany & Carly who live out in Germany and joined us for a couple of days/nights in a Black TT6

We met at the port in Dover at 5am, me having had no sleep since the morning before (I told you the military planning went out of the window). Most of my journey so far was spent showing people that I DIDN'T have my 'main beam' on, and in fact that 'dipped' HIDs are just that dammed bright. Maybe I should aim them down a little. ;)

So, a bunch of people who mostly didn't know each other, united by just one thing - lack of sleep. No sorry that's not right, I mean the lure of the Nurburgring. Only I had been before but I think I'd managed to answer most of the questions people had had up to that point, so there wasn't much to say. General chit-chat ensued, with most of us nervous and excited in equal measure; we're on our way to 'the green hell'.

We boarded the ship and set sail at 6am, at which point most of us grabbed a fried breakfast of some description, and a tiny bit of rest.

Disembarking in France we were seperated briefly (note to self: obey my own instructions next time!) but after a short while were on our way. I won't mention Henk's impressive yet rubbish SatNav which claims to know things like where Shell petrol stations are, he can explain that little detour ;)

To cut a long story short, the closer we got to the circuit, and the more tired we were, the worse the weather got. At least the first 200 miles were dry, we just had the last 80-odd in the p***ing rain!

My SatNav started to let itself down slightly and took us a really stupid route for the last 20 miles, but as it happens it steered us towards Adenau; a town that the track passes through.... I couldn't help parking up briefly and showing the group 200m of the legendary track, even though it was closed & empty at that point in time. Suddenly, and despite the lack of sleep, journey from hell, and empty track in front of us, we all woke up; we were here. :)

Checking in to the 3 B&Bs I'd managed to find - against the Truck GP's wishes (grr!) - was great. A place to call home for 5 nights, and our 'hosts' at each venue seemed to take a genuine interest in the cars (ours even looked them up on the internet the next day! :D) and a lot of care looking after us. Personally speaking, I couldn't have wished for more and will definitely call them up in hoping of staying there again once the dates are released for next year's public access to the 'Ring.

So, we were there, kind of unpacked, all of us very tired (especially me!), it was raining... there was not much point heading to the track for the couple of hours that it was open that night, really. A wet lap, after driving 575miles and being awake for 36 hours? That would be stupid.

So, minutes later, at the track :D, I lead a couple of the cars round; VERY SLOWLY! The Impreza with us decided he was 'with it' enough and had the backup of AWD in case he did get it a bit wrong. ;) All was well and someone (not me; I was asleep) even managed to correct a tiny slide I had on the so-called 'mini-Karrussell'. The wet lap, against all the odds/sanity, was a great finish to the road trip.

We all parked up back at the B&B at which point it had stopped raining so we walked to the opposite end of the village to a resturant. Steak, mmmmmmm. 'Nuff said.

The next day the track didn't open until the afternoon but we were curious to see what was going round. OMFG it was the new Lexus thingy that I had hated when I saw at the New York motorshow a few years ago. It looks JUST LIKE how I'd expect a modern day Supra to look. What's more, it sounds A-MA-ZING. Even better, it goes even faster than it sounds. Eeeeeeeven better - even though it's a Lexus it's already worthy to be called 'the new Supra' based on looks & noise alone but, they're testing/honing it at the 'Ring (could this car be any better?!!) and it does COMPLETE laps in 8 minutes dead, even with an extra chicane to try and slow it down! :D BTW it does at least 40,000mph on the straight! :D

We watched it from a few spots round the track; me mainly jumping up and down 6ft in the air with schoolboy excitement and Henk recording... check it out.

Anyway, I digress.

The track opened at 2:15pm and I think we all jumped on it at some point over the following 30 minutes. I can't remember at which point on what day I/the others lapped, but we all managed to avoid incident and all seemed to enjoy themselves. The 'Ring really gets under your skin - well, unless you're Henk. Henk prefers Santa Pod and doesn't like the 'Ring at all, do you Henk? :p

Lapping is, well, fun. You can't really say much more than that. You either have been and know what it's like and can't explain it fully, or haven't and won't ever know what an experience it is unless you do. No matter the speed and how much you do/don't push it, it's always an experience. If you could bottle it, my money says it'd be illegal. ;)

Speaking personally, I gradually build up my speed each day, but after passengering with Si and then Andy I realised how much more stick tyres can take and then immediately went out with my gf Kate in the passenger seat, and did some of my smoothest, probably fastest sections, to date. She did tell me to slow down, which I did - a lot - but then reported that it wasn't any better going slow so I did the gentlemanly thing and went back to being smooth & fast so that the lap was over and done with ASAP. ;)

I drove 16 laps in total, finding the limits of my J-Spec brakes on most of them. :( Never mind; it's still possible to go fast for at least parts of a lap even on smaller brakes and always possible to have fun (except when you're heading down a massive slope towards a concrete wall 50mph faster than you can take the bend before it and with nearly no brakes to speak of!! :D). I'll fit bigger brakes of some description at some point in the next year and I'll be a happy chappy when I return next year.

There was, as always, a fantastic variety of machines there, I did most of my laps on the early mornings or on the quieter weekdays to avoid the track when it can become a little 'congested'; spectating and car-watching the rest of the time.

On the Saturday, and whilst a a few of were spectating we witnessed a 911 GT3 go off at Brunnchenn (sp?) - aka the 'Bus Stop' - and the driver get knocked unconcious. For some reason my legs decided I should get involved and before I knew it I was on the other side of the track where he'd come to rest, doing what little I could. Thankfully I didn't need to put my basic first aid skills into action as the driver (a Brit) came round uninjured, but very confused. Instead I reassured him and liased with the various track, medical and police peoples during the following hour or so that the track was closed. They eventually, carefully, removed him off to Hospital for a full check-up and took his car off the track. I've spoken with him since and he's made a full recovery but has a few gaps in his memory. My thoughts at this time turn to Rik Gardiner, who back in the UK, was not so fortunate. :(

I feel at this point I should recognise the marshall who was first at the crash scene at the 'Ring; he controlled and organised everything, and was very, very professional and just plain excellent TBH. If I'm ever unfortunate enough to crash there, I hope he's the first face I see after the event.

Crashes are to be expected at such a place, especially when you think about the numbers that pass through every hour/day; you can easily see 20 cars/bikes a minute pass a viewing spot at the busiest times during a weekend. A few more accidents occurred at various times throughout the weekend but AFAIC no-one was seriously injured and each accident was quickly cleared up with German efficiency and the track was rarely closed for long.

I took b*gger-all photos/video as a I don't own any kit, but Henk did us proud by standing at Hatzenbach for half a day, deperate to pee, but filming us time after time all the same. :D Joe and James (passengers with Andy and Bignum) also did some filming from Adenau, so I'm looking forward to seeing that too.

During the trip we ate out at several different places each evening; all of which I thought were excellent (all recommended by our hosts) and even went to our village's annual outdoor beer & steak (and 'gyros'(!)) party which was a great experience, despite the 80's music. :D

Eventually the return trip came, we tried the route via the Brussells ring-road on the way back which got busy but was otherwise a good road(s); I think it's a good choice if not travelling at rush hour and would certainly consider it again. There was a major crash involving at least 3 lorries which held us up for about half an hour but we then carried on to the beer/wine cash and carry with renewed vigour. ;)

That's about it; what more can I say? I'm home till next year. :(

Thanks to everyone on the trip, you all made it a great sucess and I'd glady go back there again next year with you all, if you'll have me. :)

Cheers & safe driving!

just a thought about accomodation,

I normaly stay at sliders guest house Bendan & Suz, Brendan is English, you can find it on Ben Lovejoys site, its clean and basic but has 25 beds and is great at the end of the day chewing the fat and and watching the days videos on his 40inch tv, we normaly get in takeaways pizza ect and sit and talk all night beer on site for the drinkers. Brendans has a lot of videos of laps of the ring to watch.

Just thought it would be good for you guys to be under one roof, so once you have made a date let me know if you are interested because he gets filled up quickly mostly with bikers, so you can do a block booking and fill the place up if there is enough, there are some rooms with 2/3 beds if you dont mined kipping in the same room about 28e each at the moment but dont worry if you prefer to make your own arrangments, but it might be nice to be able to stay together in a relaxed environment

Glad you all got home safely

Hi George! :)

I did try Sliders for this year's trip after seeing them on Nurburgring.org.uk but when I called them a few months ago they couldn't accomodate us all for the dates this year. They're quite a way out frmo the 'Ring though aren't they? Despite our crown being in 3 B&Bs we were actually only a door or two from each other and it seemed to work ok (especially for 48E/night/ROOM! :)). I think Mike's reference earlier about us not being at one place was referring to the other 2 groups from the UK that were there at roughly the same time as us maybe; each of the groups had already made their own arrangements without us (fair enough, one trip wasn't from this forum and the other wasn't really a 'forum' trip). TBH I was glad I was only sorting out 10 people anyway, rather than 20~30! :blink:

I'll certinaly keep Sliders in mind all the same, if I'm asked to sort anything out for next year. Hope to meet up with you again, too; I'm glad you joined us for that impromptu photoshoot and can't wait to see those photos. :)

EDIT - Still gutted I didn't manage to take you up on that offer of a passenger lap though. Hopefully I'll be as competent as you clearly were when I've clocked up as many laps. Nice car, nice chap! P.S. Glad you got back ok too :)

Great write up Steve. I think I may forego Le mans next year and have a trip to the 'Ring instead. :)

You said that last year mate :p

I've never done Le Mans so can't comment, but IIRC Si said he was going to skip Le Mans after going to the Ring, so that says something. :)

Hi all

I have joined your forum just to say a massive thanks to Steve for organising the trip. It was fantastic from start to finish: the organisation; accommodation; company (apart from James!!!); atmosphere and the Ring was out of this world. I think everyone enjoyed themselves as much as I did, and if you will have me, I would love to join you on your next trip.

Cheers

Andy - the Ugly Duckling (I mean the car!).

Hi all

I have joined your forum just to say a massive thanks to Steve for organising the trip. It was fantastic from start to finish: the organisation; accommodation; company (apart from James!!!); atmosphere and the Ring was out of this world. I think everyone enjoyed themselves as much as I did, and if you will have me, I would love to join you on your next trip.

Cheers

wait to see those photos. :)

EDIT - Still gutted I didn't manage to take you up on that offer of a passenger lap though. Hopefully I'll be as competent as you clearly were when I've clocked up as many laps. Nice car, nice chap! P.S. Glad you got back ok too :)

No problems Steve see you next time

A mega big thank you to Steve for all the organising.

Steve was being a little modest there, he organised people, new people, accomodation, swaps of accomodation (with Mike & Carly as well as Robbie coming and going), times, places, ferries..... the list goes on!

He kicked me out of bed a couple of times when I slept straight through the alarm so I would not miss the early laps!

Steve you're a top bloke!

Well as Steve aluded to, I did have a few moments, I love drag racing (it's just different) but I do love The Ring really, on the last day, with 30 minutes until track closure, I decide to "Do just one more lap..." (A true sign of having 'The Ring Bug') and managed to do my best ever, I broke all the rules, end of the day, less alert than in the morning, tyres not pre-warmed....... I decided to cane it round.... tyres screetching all the way..... What an amazing buzz!!!! Arrived back in the car park and the rear tyres were like super glue!!!

You might as well book my spot for next year now!

I have 578 video clips to compile so give me a few days but I can promise you guys some of the best automotive eye candy out there!

It was a great trip, wonderful and colourful company, all of you!

P.S. Steve, Kate is priceless you've got a good one there!

Hi all

Cheers

Glad you liked it Andy. Can't wait to see what you decide to buy for next year! I'm not going out with you if it's not AWD though! ;) Thanks for the worst & scariest lap of my life and the insight into what sort of trouble an Impreza can get you into, and then out of! :D

A mega big thank you to Steve for all the organising.

Steve you're a top bloke!

:blush:

Thanks big guy. :)

We all know you're the man with the plan though ;)

...on the last day, with 30 minutes until track closure, I decide to "Do just one more lap..." (A true sign of having 'The Ring Bug') and managed to do my best ever, I broke all the rules, end of the day, less alert than in the morning, tyres not pre-warmed....... I decided to cane it round.... tyres screetching all the way..... What an amazing buzz!!!!

Nughty, naughty Henk!!! HOW many times did I tell you?! NEVER do 'just one more lap'; especially not a fast one!! :p

You might as well book my spot for next year now!

yey!! :clap: A convert!! :D

I have 578 video clips to compile so give me a few days but I can promise you guys some of the best automotive eye candy out there!

Crack on! ;)

It was a great trip, wonderful and colourful company, all of you!

P.S. Steve, Kate is priceless you've got a good one there!

Aye, she's a good 'un for putting up with me let alone anything else! :love: