The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Transmission Register; BHP Ratings - How much can they take?

Noz

Inspired to make a listing of who has what BHP with what transmission and diff setup. Clutch be interesting too.

I see this question asked TIME and time again. However, a register of actual horsepower successfully completed would be good to have. I'm only listing IF I know any problems with it.

Just an idea for a good technical sticky, to have some basis for data.

Transmission;

V160 - Six Speed TT Mkiv Supra

Predicted 900 ft lb

R154 - Five Speed TT Mkiii Supra 1JZ

Commonly predicted 700 ft lb.

- Noz - ? remap required

W58 - Five Speed NA transmission Mkiv 2JZGE

Commonly advertised rated upto 400hp. Have seen over 500hp on handful of forum owned cars.

Predicted 400 ft lb.

- Noz - 417hp NA-t (popped after 3 years, shortly after drag racing on drag radials)

- Berg - 400hp TT (two years, had no problems)

A340E Auto 4 Speed NA mkiv

Predicted 300 ft lb

A343E - Auto 4 speed? TT mkiv

Predicted 550 ft lb

- gordy.r - 385hp 420ft lb TT

A343/0E - Hybrid

Predicted 600 ft lb

- Dr_Jekyl - 500hp na-t

BMW 320d e46

- Ollie Elmore BDC semi pro drifter, R33 2JZ with BMW box conversion - 590 whp

etc. List information guys I can update the post :cool:

Differential;

A01A - Open Manual NA Diff

- Noz - 417hp NA-t (popped afte 2 years, W58)

A01B - LSD Manual NA Diff

- Noz - 417hp NA-t

- Berg - 459hp NA-t

Open TT diff, whats the code for this?

- gordy.r - 385hp 420ft lb TT

Edited by Noz (see edit history)

Good idea Noz, make sure that folks talk includes talking in torque, especially yours, ;) and this could make good reference. :)

An A343/0E Hybrid transmission has I believe been run up to 550ftlb by dr_jekyll and maybe 600?ftlb by viper, but I have never had a straight answer from either of them? :shrug:

Jagman is soon to be running one up to 600ftlb? in his Soarer. :thumbs:

Watch this space. :)

I keep tabs on all of the Hybrids as best that I can, :search: they sneak around and hide a bit, but they're all still out there tearing up tarmac somewhere?

Here's a link to the life story of each and every one of them. :love:

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/group.php?discussionid=91&do=discuss

P.S. Here you'll find the missing "commonly predicted" numbers to help you complete your chart. :D

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?330771-New-owner-2JZGE-need-some-advice&p=4115952&viewfull=1#post4115952

Edited by David P (see edit history)

Im more convinced w58 can be protected and last longer with a more suitable clutch

Most people either buy or are told to buy the juddery, harsh stage 4 onwards so will be interested to see what people are using there

Mines BPU TT 400hp (cant remember torque will update post when i check dyno sheet)

W58

Competition stage 2 clutch (drives like stock :))

A01B LSD

My old na-t

W58

Spec stage 3 clutch

A01B LSD

Lasted nearly 2 years at this power, box still going strong in another na-t today

Although never tracked, drag raced etc

Edited by berg (see edit history)

With a nice comprehensive list it would make a nice thread for the Newbies to read when they think they can run 1000bhp on a NA auto. Be a nice list of tried and tested facts

Those were the days eh. ;)

http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?330771-New-owner-2JZGE-need-some-advice&p=4115952&viewfull=1#post4115952

:yeahthat:

I have given the above post your suggested title, maybe it'll make it easier to find? :D

The mileage at the time of failures would be useful information too.

A taxed new transmission will last longer than taxing an old transmission, in other words, when buying a used box for an uprated task, the lower it's mileage the longer it will serve you.

How many miles the box travelled at the uprated power before it failed would be useful information, as would be a History of road, track and drag activities.

Noz, alias Engineer Norris,

This thread has the potential to be granted FAQ status, just think, :think: your handle could be up there in lights on one of the opening menu's. :trophy:

I have already filed it to a link in both the N/A-T and Transmission Groups, to make it easy to find reference where this information may be needed most, if it ever happens that is?

There's also a bundle of info for you in the given link on post #5.

You won't get much of a response or/and that which will make any worthwhile data at all, until you stop d!ck!ng about and post up a comprehensible formatted list of required information on your Header Post please. :)

How the hell do you keep any traction when the torque doubles within 500rpm?! :D

It's pretty good actually, well once you get in 3rd gear it grips. Combination of Nitron dampers, APR rear wing, OS Giken diff & R888 tyres all help to put the power down. The biggest factor is the APR wing, take that off and it wheel spins all the way through 4th gear, I know as I tried it! Just shows that it actually works.

Spot on Garry. :)

That's a concise run down of most the info that may be relevant.

Mr Noz wants to know what diff?

I think you're winning the highest mileage?

My diff is a stock A02B , same miles as above , I think a key to longevity is fluid changes for both diff and trans with top quality brands and stock ecu with piggyback, I have noticed the stock map is very rich at gear change which would limit tourque, between 4 and 5k runs very low 10's afr

Should also add that I have just one transmission cooler and have retained the stock heater / cooler in the stock rad

Hope thats enough information now Dave ;)

Edited by mellonman (see edit history)