The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid turbos ....

ace67

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In what ways specifically?

Sounds good apart from all the fabrication and cost ;)

You will need all the supporting mods that a single will plus the cost of fabbing the manifolds (initially at least)

I read through the sp performance thread too and he reckoned on $8 - $10K for the kit. With the exchnage rate the way it is that doesn't seem too bad to me.

In what ways specifically?

The first question yo have to ask is how much power do you want? personally, 500rwhp is more than enough for me, so a twin set up delivering 500rwhp has got to be better than a single putting out the same. Effectively, your just getting less lag, which is such a bonus in my opinion, i hate lag, its whats stopping me going single. If one turbo was good enough, toyota would probably have just just the one on in th firtst place

The first question yo have to ask is how much power do you want? personally, 500rwhp is more than enough for me, so a twin set up delivering 500rwhp has got to be better than a single putting out the same. Effectively, your just getting less lag, which is such a bonus in my opinion, i hate lag, its whats stopping me going single. If one turbo was good enough, toyota would probably have just just the one on in th firtst place

That's ill-founded IMO Matt. Why has a twin setup got to be better? The OEM turbo's were designed back in 1992 for the cars release in 1993 - that's 15 years ago. Turbo design has come a long way since then meaning you can have a much larger unit spooling just as fast as smaller units of old.

Take the evolution of Toyota's 1JZ-GTE engine for example - it started with twin turbos, then in a redesign in '98 got vvti and just one turbo, producing more power without sacrificing driveability and with added reliability - the sequential system is an over complex and tempramental piece of design work.

You can also look at some of the singles on this forum - several making more boost sooner than the stock twins in sequential mode, in other words making more boost a considerable amount sooner than hybrid twins in sequential mode.

Given cost vs. further development of hybrid setups for the 2JZ-GTE, it still looks like a well chosen single is the way to go IMO.

Cheers,

Brian.

That's ill-founded IMO Matt. Why has a twin setup got to be better? The OEM turbo's were designed back in 1992 for the cars release in 1993 - that's 15 years ago. Turbo design has come a long way since then meaning you can have a much larger unit spooling just as fast as smaller units of old.

Take the evolution of Toyota's 1JZ-GTE engine for example - it started with twin turbos, then in a redesign in '98 got vvti and just one turbo, producing more power without sacrificing driveability and with added reliability - the sequential system is an over complex and tempramental piece of design work.

You can also look at some of the singles on this forum - several making more boost sooner than the stock twins in sequential mode, in other words making more boost a considerable amount sooner than hybrid twins in sequential mode.

Given cost vs. further development of hybrid setups for the 2JZ-GTE, it still looks like a well chosen single is the way to go IMO.

Cheers,

Brian.

I understand what your saying but were talking about a modern day hybrid here, its the internals that count, not its housing which is the only think that comes from 15 years agos technology. Modern twins over modern single, no comparrision

I don't think it is just the internals that count - I'm no turbo guru by any means, many members of the forum have much more experience in that regard than me - however, the housings and stock manifold cause a severe restriction in flow. This causes the internals to not be as efficient as they perhaps could be and we have evidence of this in the way that hybrids take longer to spool than stock twins.

the housings and stock manifold cause a severe restriction in flow. This causes the internals to not be as efficient as they perhaps could be and we have evidence of this in the way that hybrids take longer to spool than stock twins.

I am not either but i cant see the housing causing any problems for whats flowing in it, but i can see the manifold being. Did that qouted price not include the required manifolds?!

Ah, but the 1JZ-GTE didn't ever have a sequential setup did it? It was two small turbos running in parallel, so pretty much same lag as one large turbo, isn't it?

Ah, but the 1JZ-GTE didn't ever have a sequential setup did it? It was two small turbos running in parallel, so pretty much same lag as one large turbo, isn't it?

It started with two teency weency ceramic turbos even more fragile than the JDM MKIV TT's. Full boost by 3k RPM IIRC from driving my JZA70.

Just highlighting how Toyota's design focus changed - they didn't decide in the redesign to give it a sequential setup, they thought let's single it.

Just highlighting how Toyota's design focus changed - they didn't decide in the redesign to give it a sequential setup, they thought let's single it.

I haven't read all SF thread (read the background thread) just yet either. So far it sounds like a GT28 (intake side) has been mounted to a CT12 exhaust side, bolted onto a heavily reworked stock manifold. This could be bollocks though :p

Re the 1jz- it could be political as well as financial not to give the Soarer the sequential set-up, afterall Toyota didn't ditch the sequential set-up in 1998 either

Anyone else get a shitty PM via SupraForums from the OP?

Nah, but my SF username doesn't match this one. I did get this though, rather amusing. :D Little does Johan know, once I actually owned a Vauxhall Viva. A beast it was too!

Lol hurt did it you that you didnt always are right lol :-P

BR

Johan

P.S I have ha lots of highpowered cars so i am just not that impressed by ppl that have had there first sportscar and think that they know it all D.S