The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Hybrid turbos ....

ace67

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oooo, do tell........ :eyebrows:

Nowt juicy or worth sharing, just your generic UK bashing type thing about how 'anyhting outside the Uk is shite' or words to that effect.

Still unsure how you get 416bhp on a 'dynamics on 'pump' fuel (one assumes 100 octane RON V-Power) @ 1.16bar with a set of UK hybrids.

Interestingly however these '500wrhp' hybrids in the USA trapped a 11.5 @125mph on MickeyT's, which isn't miles away from TDR's time on his stockers (11.9) although the speed is much higher (113mph).

i dont know why you uk guys are so afraid of the pump gas.

we go over 900hp with shell 100 octane, you just need a good german map ;)

this gt28r mod will work very well, i guess you can break the 500rwhp.

i know these opel guys (vauxhaul in england) fit a k29 in a k16 housing. they make up to 430hp (at the flywheel) with these turbos

http://www.eds-motorsport.de

but you will need a eu-spec turbo housing. the jspec turbos dont have a pre-spooling and its not healthy for the 2nd turbo if you go over 1 bar.

the jspec manifold is much smaller at the exit, this is also a problem. i can show you the differences between these both turbos with a picture if anybody is interested

For Gods sake, euSpec circled in red is nothing to do with pre spooling, it's the exhaust gas recirculation port, for emissions purposes. Both set ups pre spool, in the same manner.Once these damned Yanks get involved things go to *hit rapidly :) Not seen a post yet where there are proper engine dyno figures, they spend all this time talking, they could have had some worthwhile figures from a proper dyno instead of inertia dyno twaddle and bickering blather.

Nowt juicy or worth sharing, just your generic UK bashing type thing about how 'anyhting outside the Uk is shite' or words to that effect.

Still unsure how you get 416bhp on a 'dynamics on 'pump' fuel (one assumes 100 octane RON V-Power) @ 1.16bar with a set of UK hybrids.

Interestingly however these '500wrhp' hybrids in the USA trapped a 11.5 @125mph on MickeyT's, which isn't miles away from TDR's time on his stockers (11.9) although the speed is much higher (113mph).

The trap speed is a good indicator of power if it pulled 125 mph

that is similar power to some of the single turbo'd cars.

See the drag racing thread: http://www.mkivsupra.net/vbb/showthread.php?t=29073

I've actually also set a record trap speed for j spec ceramics on another run at TOTB (as mentioned on the drag times thread) of 11.92@121mph using only 1.1bar boost max.

So again I have to say it - doesn't look like there's much point in the currently available hybrids anyways.

Cheers,

Brian.

Hate to disagree with you Bri but if you based every tuning decision on how fast the car went up the dragstrip then I may as well chop mine in for an NA :D You've got launch, suspension, tyres, gearbox, etc etc any number of factors influencing your times and your top speed.

I've been in a few hybrids and a few BPU stockers and the hybrids win every time for seat of the pants grunt. They also need more fuel to feed them :)

I still rate hybrids. However I'm more and more put off by the artificial lag of 4000rpm in every gear as I get used to the oomph of the T67 at 3000rpm+. Suits my driving style better (I'm too lazy to change down :D )

-Ian

Looking at the manifold, the japs certainly do some weird and wonderful things. You'd think it would be cheaper to have 4 or 3 bolt flanges for the entire production run.

Has anyone been chopped an export & jdm manifolds in half to see if their is a size difference throughout?

I have never had a scrap one of either to cut up, and I can't bring myself to section a good one. Donations welcome... Visually it looks as if the log part of the J-Spec could have bigger internal diameter runners, but you'd need to bandsaw one. the other interesting thing is the bellows are stainless, and the casting is cast iron, yet the junctions are welded, with apparent 100% reliability. I suspect the casting is perhaps cast steel, rather than iron?

Hate to disagree with you Bri but if you based every tuning decision on how fast the car went up the dragstrip then I may as well chop mine in for an NA :D You've got launch, suspension, tyres, gearbox, etc etc any number of factors influencing your times and your top speed.

I'm just going on numbers - terminal speed is a good indicator of power, and the american terminals quoted can pretty much be guaranteed to be under the best conditions with the best fuel.

I've yet to try C16 in mine but I will next season, and the boost will be going up via the restrictor ring coming out and potentially some boost mapping depending on how it then looks (2.5" decats don't seem to let the boost run away so much). It'll be spectacular in one way or another!

:bang:

I'm really really struggling to see why you would go for hybrids when a T61 setup is just as cost effective, considering they both really need the same supporting mods.

Cheers,

Brian.

I'm just going on numbers - terminal speed is a good indicator of power, and the american terminals quoted can pretty much be guaranteed to be under the best conditions with the best fuel.

I've yet to try C16 in mine but I will next season, and the boost will be going up via the restrictor ring coming out and potentially some boost mapping depending on how it then looks (2.5" decats don't seem to let the boost run away so much). It'll be spectacular in one way or another!

:bang:

I'm really really struggling to see why you would go for hybrids when a T61 setup is just as cost effective, considering they both really need the same supporting mods.

Cheers,

Brian.

Come for a drive in mine :D

I went for the hybrids, because my turbos were shagged, could not afford to go single, had all the supporting mods and I got the hybrds for cheap -> thats why :p

"hybrids for cheap" - that's the key statement in your case graham, you've done very well considering what you paid and they've been reliable whilst putting down decent dyno numbers. If you run it on the strip we'll be able to compare terminal speeds :)

Most folks with hybrids don't seem to be anything like as fortunate :(

"hybrids for cheap" - that's the key statement in your case graham, you've done very well considering what you paid and they've been reliable whilst putting down decent dyno numbers. If you run it on the strip we'll be able to compare terminal speeds :)

Most folks with hybrids don't seem to be anything like as fortunate :(

When is the next decent day at the strip, would really like to run my car :D

I did have some luck on some parts and must admit, if I did not get them for the price I paid, I would not have gone with hybrids.

Has anyone on this forum had a stand alone EMS when running hybrids?

yes

Doesnt grahamc have a Link ECU with Hybrids?

yes I run a LINK ECU - mapped by RyanG

I think we're pretty much end of season - will be feb / march before things pick up again drag wise. Would like to see how you get on considering yours is a well optimised hybrid setup :)

pity

I have put my car up for sale, but still thinking about it. Just thinking about things honestly...

Will see if it is still around then.

my car is a auto, if i aim for 500bhp will my auto box be fine or do you need to do any thing to it, also what is the best way to achive that 500bhp and not have loads of lag, what would every one recomend as the best route to take

twin garrett gt28r's ?

Run a search mate, this has been covered gazillions of times, but the general cenus will still be a T61 and a high stall convertor for your autobox.......;)