The mkiv Supra Owners Club

Good taste, has it gone with the summer?

Chris Wilson

Pfft... you can't talk, lairy paint, lambo "door" rear end, bodykit, graphics, slammed and driven like a maniac... and that was 5 years ago, maybe you started the trend... :p

http://www.megaboost.co.uk/old/pics/mr2/meets/elvington-06-04-02/elvington-6-4-02-09.jpg

That's sold to Japan, which may mean something :) I have now gone for the carbon look :)

http://www.newbury-house.com/zeus/zeus.jpg

But couldn't resist something with lots of vinyl, too

http://www.newbury-house.com/zeus/zeustoyota.jpg

I did avoid the big rim look though ;) 13's are just fine.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

As much as I love the mods on my car and some of the other Supra's on here I have got to say that my next Supra will be 100% stock! I have always loved tuning cars but here is one that I would not touch for love nor money. 15 years old and still my favorite car.

Love the car Chris but the link doesn't work try this

http://www.chriswilson.tv/zeus

I think your point is that lots of bodykits, lowering, big 'bling' wheels..etc do nothing for the handling/performance of the car and is just for looks.

I think you have a strange outlook on what makes a nice car. the supra now 15 years old almost is crying out for changes to keep it looking up to date. the car looked stunning 15 years ago and still did for a long time but now it does look stlightly dated in its stock for, especially without skirts or spats.

I would be interested to know your views on my car... apart form the paint and carbon bonnet which isnt to everyones taste, i dont think you can possibly fault the styling

Where is there a photo of it?

Trouble is, the makers of aftermarket kits never seem as talented in the design nor execution of things as those that work for the proper design houses. Most LOOK like a bodykit drawn on a fag packet and thrown on using double sided tape and pop rivets. Genuine TRD ones look OK, but as soon as you go wide body you either bite the bullet and re design the rear subframe and suspension and driveshafts, or accept that you will run a rim with so much offset handling is ruined and wheel bearing and hub loads will go through the roof.

when i had a bump in mine i thought i would go with aftermarket kit top secret bumper,veilside skirts and spats.i thought it was ok at the time but hate that look now.prefer just plain stock look facelift.been with the 19" wheels never again.

plain stock 17`s fine for me.the side skirts you cant get your jack under them to lift car.

everybody likes to put there mark on there car.some look good like jamies car but had a lot of effort put into it.

just a plain boring stock look with a bit of power under the bonnet.

Trouble is, the makers of aftermarket kits never seem as talented in the design nor execution of things as those that work for the proper design houses. Most LOOK like a bodykit drawn on a fag packet and thrown on using double sided tape and pop rivets. Genuine TRD ones look OK, but as soon as you go wide body you either bite the bullet and re design the rear subframe and suspension and driveshafts, or accept that you will run a rim with so much offset handling is ruined and wheel bearing and that hub loads will go through the roof.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Matt_H/3.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Matt_H/6.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v415/Matt_H/4.jpg

:)

Stock front end looks a little dated.. but a front lip, even if its just the FAS makes it look better. TBH some body kits like the Do Luck one have made the car look a little more modern, but then there are other kits out there which are too messy and date the car too.

Its a bit like clothes fashion, or haircuts.. try and be all different and lairy, then a year or two later you look back and think wtf was that all about :D

Also.. the best thing to modernise the cars image is to just put a decent set of wheels on it.

I often wonder whether the reason the very cleanest cars from out of Japan are stockers is that a lot of accident damaged ones get a cheap body kit nailed on and bunged into a container to rid them overseas. Some of the cars from the now defunct JIC were stunners, bone stock and ultra low mileage. I did see one from them that someone had paid a Kings (or is it Emperors....;) ) ransom for, that looked like it had been rattled down a motorway barrier and fixed by someone on a YTS course though.

Trouble is, the makers of aftermarket kits never seem as talented in the design nor execution of things as those that work for the proper design houses. Most LOOK like a bodykit drawn on a fag packet and thrown on using double sided tape and pop rivets. Genuine TRD ones look OK, but as soon as you go wide body you either bite the bullet and re design the rear subframe and suspension and driveshafts, or accept that you will run a rim with so much offset handling is ruined and wheel bearing and that hub loads will go through the roof.

Sounds like the early days of motor sport "drawn on a fag packet"

Talking of body kit design houses, whats your opinion of veilside?

Hmm, not to my taste I'm afraid, especially the colour and the fake rear diffuser thingie. Looks nicely executed though :) It's all totally subjective, of course, I mean I just LOVE the look of a Rolls Mulliner Park Ward Continental III, a Lancia Gamma Coupe, and Volvo P1800's.

And no, I don't have a 240 any more, I have gone vastly upmarket to a V90 estate with a mouse living in it :) (And a Daewoo Matiz with bent valves).

Theres no argument that the car is better the way Toyota designed it but my excuse is after owning mkiv's for so long i just wanted something a bit differant but still looked like a mkiv.

I doubt i'd go down this route again but hey ho i did so i'll just live with what ive got:d

I would say the most amazing thing about the Supra is the number of variations that are driven on the roads these days. I don't honestly believe that any other car currently exists that has so many variations in looks and styling than that of the Supe.

That said however, I can see what CW is saying in terms of spoiling the image of the Supra. You don't see many of the older MG, Porsche, Lotus, Ferrari, TVR's etc where the bodies have been changed to reflect the more modern day styling's - their owners seem happy and content with the old car dynamics as this adds to the charismatic appeal of the cars that they lovingly collect.

There are a few Supra's that have been destroyed IMHO due to a few young CHAV's getting their hands on them; however, this is only to be expected as a consequence of the Supra's affordability these days

I'm mostly with Chris on this one really. I hate the way most body kits look on cars with loads of them looking like its been slapped on with no nails.

I've always gone for the stock look on all my cars but added very subtle mods like the facelift supra parts, lowered suspension and nice exhaust whilst trying to keep the car immaculate.

I understand why people want to fit kits, it's their car and they want it to stand out but maybe not spend the thousands to get it spot on, the Abflug kit IMO when done right looks stunning changing the car completely but I couldn't live with one as a daily driver. The heartache following every stonechip would kill me. lol.:)

is it not the case that some people look at these changes as functional (ie diffusers) and because they dont work as such then they view them as a waste ? where as other people add them for the aesthics (looks) ?

Chris, if the diffuser actually worked as intended would you view it differently ?

*shakes head disapprovingly* Driven wheels are at the wrong end Chris... I'm not even going to comment on the Daewoo! :D

Wrong, only the Daewoo is FWD, a V90 (and S90) is the very last of the RWD Volvos. Anyway, all the Daewoo has to do is either get my wife to work, or sit quietly in the pub car park until someone is sober enough to collect it :)