The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Best/Decent AEM Mapper in UK?

bolarbag

ECU: Motec M600

Year : 1993

Man/Auto : Manual conversion

Mods : 720cc injectors, BL T71gtq and a few other bits (Check garage)

Power/Torque: 622hp @ 1.4bar (with a pressure leak in the turbo)

Link to dynomap: http://homepages.nildram.co.uk/~shemesh/SSR%20622hp.jpg

Mapped By: Owen dev./ Dave Rowe / Dan Turner have all had their hands on it.

Can you just specify who had it last and got the 622?? In fact are you able to break this down further and say what each one did/got? And did you have an AEM before?

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Year : 1996

Man/Auto : Manual

Mods : 1000cc injectors, GT2835s and lots of other stuff

Power/Torque : 679hp at 1.5 bar (SRR)/ Unsure on the torque for mo

Link to dynomap : Not available

Mapped By: Paul Whiffin (road mapped)

Can you just specify who had it last and got the 622?? In fact are you able to break this down further and say what each one did/got? And did you have an AEM before?

Owen Dev and Dave Rowe - unknown BHP figure, CJ would be the one to ask. Also keep in mind that when both of them worked on the car it was an auto with the BL box.

Dan Turner did my mapping sessions during my last slew of mods. He is responsible for the figure of 622. There was still a bit more to do though as there was a pressure leak on the turbo that I did not know about until the whole system was pressure tested a few days after that dyno run was done. I suspect that was the reason for my higher than normal EGT's that I was trying to diagnose. The map was a bit rich because of that and after the seal was fixed she needed a tweak on the map to compensate. I never made it to my next mapping session as most of you know.

I have never owned an AEM ECU. The only AEM product that I have was the C2Di and it ended up costing me three times the value of the unit to get it installed and working. Never again..

I have had an HKS FCON in my previous car and that was faultless apart from the extortionate fees to get it mapped.

I would highly recommend Steve Simpson @ TEG

He mapped mine and did a very good job, i know he has done a few high power supras on AEM as well, his main business is he maps for alot of the rally teams and flys around the world mapping.

Anyway he has a rolling road setup in Carnforth near Lancaster.

I have his details if needed

Mike

Agree with Mike. I have used Steve alot and have good friends at Teg Sport.

Hes got a hell of a lot of experience and works with some big name rally teams- The facilities at teg sport are also very nice.

Also can recommend the guys at Owen - seem very clued up on motec - and they offer one of the best services iv ever experienced -

ECU : AEM

Year : 1996

Mods : 650cc PE injectors, stock engine, PHR Stage 1, cast manifold

Power/Torque: 510BHP, 500lbft

Link to dynomap: SRR Dyno

Mapped By: Pat

Comments : AEM was my second mod after the exhaust, I read the aem foums for a long time before installing and made sure that when I installed it I upgraded the firmware and recalibrated the basemaps for the 440cc stock injectors, once this was done it started first time and myself and pat mapped it on the stock tubbies. I then moved onto the PHR stage 1 at a later stage and upgraded the firmware again. Bang for buck the AEM has been one of the best mods on the car.

Year : 1993

Mods : 1000cc PE injectors, stock engine, Blitz K5-660R single, HKS Manifold

Power/Torque: 521BHP at 1.2bar but not finished

Link to dynomap: Not available

Mapped By: Dan Tuner

AEM was chosen to replace the HKS F-Con simply because I didn't get on with the HKS mapper I saw and I disagree with the HKS password protecting policy.

So far the AEM seems fine, I like the AEMPro software and have tweaked it myself a number of times. The documentation that comes with the AEM is very good.

Also, for reference this is for my MR2 Turbo

Year : 1989

Mods : 800cc SARD injectors, built engine, Owens Stage 5 custom CT26 hybrid,

Power/Torque: dont know yet

Link to dynomap:

Mapped By: TBA

Fitted the injectors myself and then the AEM plus AEM IAT and MAP sensors. No real issues, injector drivers were there and I have the car starting and idling. Base ignition map supplied by AEM is awfully advanced so haven't used that. Next step is to tidy up what I've done and get it ready for mapping.

Thus far I am happy with AEM :)

AEM was chosen to replace the HKS F-Con simply because I didn't get on with the HKS mapper I saw and I disagree with the HKS password protecting policy.

Thus far I am happy with AEM :)

Exactly the same for me. I also didn't want a system where the stock ecu was being fudged and effectively sent inaccurate information in order to try and make it do what we want it to. Only part of the equation I am not liking is the AEMs problems with controlling the auto box but I was aware of these issues before I started. I was tempted to run the box from the stock ecu and the engine from the AEM but that would have been a helluva lot of messing around. Long term I will be better replacing the box.

Exactly the same for me. I also didn't want a system where the stock ecu was being fudged and effectively sent inaccurate information in order to try and make it do what we want it to. Only part of the equation I am not liking is the AEMs problems with controlling the auto box but I was aware of these issues before I started. I was tempted to run the box from the stock ecu and the engine from the AEM but that would have been a helluva lot of messing around. Long term I will be better replacing the box.

Which version of the Fcon are you talking about please?

The Fcon V Pro is a full standalone.

The Fcon S is piggyback only.

I once saw talk of an ecu to soley control and re map the auto box, does anyone have any details on it? The idea being something like a Motec would do the engine functions, and this other box would enable you to map the auto box functions. Sadly i don't know what signals the auto box part of the stock ecu uses, and how. I presume crank speed, gearbox output shaft speed, some sort of load signalling and "other stuff"?

To quote from HKS website

The HKS F-CON V Pro is a fully featured standalone engine management system that connects as easily as a "piggy-back" fuel and timing controller. As modifications to a vehicle are made, the need for fuel and timing

Pretty sure my stock ecu was in with the F-Con V-Pro, but never really investigated.

The HKS F-CON V Pro is a fully featured standalone engine management system that connects as easily as a "piggy-back" fuel and timing controller. As modifications to a vehicle are made, the need for fuel and timing

Pretty sure my stock ecu was in with the F-Con V-Pro, but never really investigated.

You can use the V Pro as a piggyback but it's more than capable of being a stand alone...usually and I think sensibly, you leave the stock ECU to control the A/C/gearbox etc....but the V Pro runs the ignition and injectors directly, no signal fudging.

The stock ECU is left in with the F-con Pro V install, but the F-con completely controls the fueling and ignition.

Last time I spoke with Owen Developments (they are HKS recognised etc) they were not recommending the F-Con on the Soop

Whether

A.Only to the autos due to the problems with timing retardation or,

B Due to their desire to sell and recommend Motec systems

I dont know...

I have seen loads of F Con V Pros in MKIV's, but I have never seen one used without the stock ecu being also wired in, even on manuals. the FCON's also seemed to have had VERY few wires going into them, so what the hell they actually were doing I don't know... :) Has ANYONE got a MKIV on an FCON without the stock ecu being in the car (and that runs...)?

I have seen loads of F Con V Pros in MKIV's, but I have never seen one used without the stock ecu being also wired in, even on manuals. the FCON's also seemed to have had VERY few wires going into them, so what the hell they actually were doing I don't know... :) Has ANYONE got a MKIV on an FCON without the stock ecu being in the car (and that runs...)?

the Fcon vpro is a pure piggyback ecu, granted its a very good piggy back ecu but you have to use the oem ecu to control the rest of the cars functions, all the fcon does is the ignition and fueling, i think you can add a couple of sensors on to do more like the knock sensor etc

Mike

the Fcon is a pure piggyback ecu, granted its a very good piggy back ecu but you have to use the oem ecu to control the rest of the cars functions, all the fcon does is the ignition and fueling, i think you can add a couple of sensors on to do more like the knock sensor etc

Mike

Not how I understand it, my mate is running an FCON as full standalone in a SC IS200.

Any standalone ECU can be run as piggyback but on a manual without the autobox to worry about it should run everything.