The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Best/Decent AEM Mapper in UK?

bolarbag

Me think some investigation is needed...2 ticks.

Nicked from a website so it must be true ;)

"The HKS F-CON V Pro is a fully featured standalone engine management system that connects as easily as a "piggy-back" fuel and timing controller. As modifications to a vehicle are made, the need for fuel and timing adjustments becomes critical for performance and safety. The F-CON V Pro with its 32x32 resolution for both fuel and timing maps is the optimal solution. The F-CON V Pro can control up to eight injectors and D Jetro or L Jetro setups. --- Injectors can be set to fire as batch, sequentially or staged. The F-CON V Pro can also read drive by wire vehicles. Programming is done via the HKS Power Writer software; which only Certified HKS Pro Dealers have access to. The HKS Power Writer software for the F-CON V Pro has some very unique abilities to simplify setup and tuning. Via the vehicle start up menus, most Japanese import cars can be easily started by selecting the vehicle’s parameters (Make, Model, Engine, etc). Tuning is simplified due to the A/F Feedback control; where a target A/F value can be input and the F-CON V Pro will adjust fuel automatically. Also full data logging capabilities are built into the F-Con V Pro Power Writer software. All major vehicle conditions including; speed, rpm, water temperature, intake temperature, timing, boost, injector duty cycle, etc can be logged to an HKS Pro Dealer’s computer.

HKS Has plug and play harnesses for almost every Japanese Import. You have to purchase the O2 sensor, MAP sensor, IAT sensor and harness for your application seperately. Call us with any questions you may have for your application or for more information on the VPRO itself. This system will run anything you need but can ONLY be tuned by HKS PRO Dealers...."

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Not how I understand it, my mate is running an FCON as full standalone in a SC IS200.

Any standalone ECU can be run as piggyback but on a manual without the autobox to worry about it should run everything.

i would bet money on it that his oem ecu is there somewhere ;)

Mike

I expect it controls EVERYTHING to do with the *ENGINE*...so you need a stock ECU for the extras.

It's NOT a piggyback though...

i would disagree, to my knowledge a "stand alone ecu" replaces the stock unit completly, a piggy back ecu takes over certain aspects of the oem ecu which is exactly what the hks fcon v pro does!!

dont get me wrong if it was easier/cheaper and more available to map i think alot more people would use it, you look at some of the fastest jap cars around and most of them use the fcon vpro :)

The phrase standalone and replacement needs to be used correctly....

A standalone will control the engine side of things (the stock ecu is used for other items, but doesn't have anything to do with engine side of the management). eg. : FCon Pro

A replacement will totally replace the stock ecu (meaning it can be taken out an thrown away). eg. : AEM

That is my take on it anway, I'm not 100% sure how the the motec fits into this.

• 4 months later...

The term piggyback surely doesn't refer to whether the OEM ECU is replaced or not, it refers to whether it's a signal-fudger or not. A piggyback ECU would require the fuel/ignition outputs of the OEM ECU to be fed into it. It would then output modified signals based on whatever parameters are set, whereas a standalone ECU would generate the signals all by itself.

That's about right isn't it?

• 7 years later...

Motec's web site list authorised mappers and technicians world wide, maybe AEM can suggest someone themselves? This is always the issue with the less mainstream ECU's, finding a competent mapper and hands on technical support that is available, reliable and not a million miles away. It's like buying a house, you need to look at the big picture. Pubs, schools, shops, professional services, medical facilities, public transport, crime, undesirables, blah blah. The less mainstream ECU's are usually such due to some deficit in their infrastructure.

Yeah worst thing was that the garage/mapper advised me on getting the AEM in the first place! Otherwise I would've considered my options if I knew I was going to have to shop around to find a mapper.

I've done some digging and Evo Tune down in Durham has a few good mentions. Will give them a call this morning and see what they can do for me. I see on their facebook page that they've dealt with a few supras in the past.

I found this place on the LancerRegister.

Performance HQ

16 Ridge Way

Dalgety Bay

Fife

KY11 9JN

Thanks Alex, gave them a phone and pencilled myself in for mid August. Seems as though they have a mapper there that is well renowned :thumbs: