The mkiv Supra Owners Club

The Best/Decent AEM Mapper in UK?

bolarbag

I have to agree with Ryan, I only do MoTec, Link and Apexi PFC. I would never touch another AEM, being the best at tuning one is not an accolade I'd want (or ever likely to be awarded) :p

I think the more important thing you should be asking given current events, Who has the back up and resources to be able to cover their asses if they drop the ball.

Link G3 LEM/XLEM CAN be piggy backed onto the stocker on an Auto. You won't have the ignition wind off you get with the stock ecu on gear changes, so the shift will feel firmer. You will also need a little magic to fool the IGF signal if you are using a CDi instead of the stock ignitor but it's easy to do if you know what your doing.

Lyndon.

• Replies 163
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You won't have the ignition wind off you get with the stock ecu on gear changes, so the shift will feel firmer.

Is that not there to soften the impact on the gearbox? Also remember that the auto engine doesn't have the belt dampner, so that is also a risk...

How do you rate the Link ecu, Ryan?

It' one of the ecu's I'm considering for my next project

Tbh i absolutely love them and so do customers when its comes to price. I cant think of many ecus out there at mo that can match the spec that they offer and realiability for the same price.

For a supra i would go for the link plus as would not have to run wasted spark then like you would on the clubman g3 and the good thing also is they comes with a built is 2.5 bar map sensor for boosting up to 1.5 bar.

I have to agree with Ryan, I only do MoTec, Link and Apexi PFC. I would never touch another AEM, being the best at tuning one is not an accolade I'd want (or ever likely to be awarded)

I think the more important thing you should be asking given current events, Who has the back up and resources to be able to cover their asses if they drop the ball.

Link G3 LEM/XLEM CAN be piggy backed onto the stocker on an Auto. You won't have the ignition wind off you get with the stock ecu on gear changes, so the shift will feel firmer. You will also need a little magic to fool the IGF signal if you are using a CDi instead of the stock ignitor but it's easy to do if you know what your doing.

Lyndon.

Hey lyndon

good to see you on the mkiv forum bud, you thinking of upgrading your mk3 to a almight mk4 ;)

Will give you a ring when i get back of holiday mate as was wondering about the link on a auto.

Only point that worrys me is the standard ecu pulls alot of timing away on gear changes to keep the stress down on the box and have seen in the states that alot of boxes have gone bang after this stress is introduced from not pulling timing.

I believe lyndon was actually trained by link guys, so certainly knows his stuff with them.

Lyndon also to add steveb mx5 made an impressive 245bhp on sat. Good work

I have looked at a couple of aem ecu's for friends who have them but i would never want to map one fully just because every aem ecu i have been asked to look at has ended up being faulty and 2 of them were injector drivers which had failed. I would not want to commit myself to a ecu that i dont trust in reliability

i am sure when i was at Thor about a year and a half ago they said they were no longer dealing with AEM for unreliability reasons

Is that not there to soften the impact on the gearbox? Also remember that the auto engine doesn't have the belt dampner, so that is also a risk...

Indeed, It would need development and be offered as a package for stockers. But for those with a built to the hilt engine and autobox, it wouldn't be so much of a problem.

Lyndon.

Hey lyndon

good to see you on the mkiv forum bud, you thinking of upgrading your mk3 to a almight mk4 ;)

Will give you a ring when i get back of holiday mate as was wondering about the link on a auto.

Only point that worrys me is the standard ecu pulls alot of timing away on gear changes to keep the stress down on the box and have seen in the states that alot of boxes have gone bang after this stress is introduced from not pulling timing.

Hi Ryan,

I've been following your recent accolades and priase too, seems you have been making quite the reputation :D. We'll have to meet up and have a chin wag at JAE. Have you seen Dave Rowe recently?, He and I went mapping in an MR2 and he had this fabulous det monitoring system "THE KNOCK BOX"? £325 but worth every penny (I just had to buy one). I believe Adrian Smith as bought one too. Next time you phone him, I recommend you buy one, knocks the old copper pipe on a hose pipe into a cocked hat.

regards,

Lyndon.

Tbh i absolutely love them and so do customers when its comes to price. I cant think of many ecus out there at mo that can match the spec that they offer and realiability for the same price.

For a supra i would go for the link plus as would not have to run wasted spark then like you would on the clubman g3 and the good thing also is they comes with a built is 2.5 bar map sensor for boosting up to 1.5 bar.

That's great, just what i wanted to hear :salute:

Have not seen dave for a while now but when i last was at motec in banbury he did show me one yh. I want to see if he will let me test one to see how i find it as not had much luck with all the other flashing boxes that tell you when your getting knock ;). cant beat the old ears in my mind but have heard from a few of the good mappers left out there that their worth there penny.

Was a good sales pitch tho ;) Does it use the standard knock sensors or come with wideband ones and then you hook on.

Sounds good about JAE i will be there. Have you guys got a stand this year.

Ryan

Guest Geneb
cant beat the old ears in my mind but have heard from a few of the good mappers left out there that their worth there penny.

Ryan

Let me know when you get the name of a good mapper ryan...

Thx Andy

Have not seen dave for a while now but when i last was at motec in banbury he did show me one yh. I want to see if he will let me test one to see how i find it as not had much luck with all the other flashing boxes that tell you when your getting knock ;). cant beat the old ears in my mind but have heard from a few of the good mappers left out there that their worth there penny.

Was a good sales pitch tho ;) Does it use the standard knock sensors or come with wideband ones and then you hook on.

Sounds good about JAE i will be there. Have you guys got a stand this year.

Ryan

LOL! I thought you said you've seen one :D

It has it's own Bosch wide band knock sensor and you plug a pair of nice big ear phones in and enjoy pure internal engine noise and no boomy exhaust. It only has one LED and that is blue and says POWER :D

I agree, ears are best, however, the Knock Link is VERY, VERY good and, looking at the circuit board, must work via some kind of magic as there is nowt clever inside it.

I have those two MAP sensor plugs you were after if you still need them.

regards,

Lyndon.

Out of interest Chris, how much would one be looking at for an engine dyno session. I mean obviously there's all the cost involved in hoiking an engine out, but I'm thinking it must be bloody costly as there must be lots of machining involved for the mounts and that kind of thing.

Swindon charge about 900 plus VAT a day. Whether it's mapping, making mounts, or *uggering about on and off the dyno, that's the general pricing. IMO it's cheap, their facilities, knowledge and reputation are worth that x 2. You only have to know of the sort of stuff they deal with on a daily basis to realize this is not as outrageous as it may first appear. The results they have achieved for major manufacturers speak for themselves, yet Gary Dunn, the head of the business since his father John Dunn took more of a back seat, is so approachable and down to earth anyone with a decent budget and realistic expectations can approach him with confidence. Idiots beware though :)

LOL! I thought you said you've seen one

It has it's own Bosch wide band knock sensor and you plug a pair of nice big ear phones in and enjoy pure internal engine noise and no boomy exhaust. It only has one LED and that is blue and says POWER

I agree, ears are best, however, the Knock Link is VERY, VERY good and, looking at the circuit board, must work via some kind of magic as there is nowt clever inside it.

I have those two MAP sensor plugs you were after if you still need them.

regards,

Lyndon.

Have just seen the box bud when dave should me some sound clips of how good it was but we didn't get to what sensors it uses and where they were placed.

i have seen other boxes that are very similar that i have been asked to try so might see what they compare like to knockbox

I have pmed patrick so i await prices

thanks tho bud

I did some research on it last last so will look into one in future.

Ryan, this is the first I've heard of the AEM being unreliable. I'm not particularly pro AEM but when I opted for it it was being hailed as 'the' ems to have. I know fashions come and go within the tuning world and so one year it might be AEM, another year MoTeC etc but I'm concerned that I might get a failure.

With injector drivers, is it the actual drivers ? Or is it the mapper not setting up the drivers properly, or the battery offset ? Is it just the injector drivers that can fail ? Or other things too ?

Would like to know more about this. I have heard of one AEM failing completely, but I've heard of other ems systems failing too, but if the AEM is a proven risk then I would like to know before I get a failure at 100+ leptons ;)

Sure there are a few AEM users on here that would like to know too :)

Ryan, this is the first I've heard of the AEM being unreliable. I'm not particularly pro AEM but when I opted for it it was being hailed as 'the' ems to have.

It was for the simple reason it re-used the existing harness...for those that couldn't afford to have a custom lom made to connect to another ECU...

No other ECU (bar I think the PFC) has ever been this customised for the Supra and so it was a hit whether it worked or not.

Ryan, this is the first I've heard of the AEM being unreliable. I'm not particularly pro AEM but when I opted for it it was being hailed as 'the' ems to have. I know fashions come and go within the tuning world and so one year it might be AEM, another year MoTeC etc but I'm concerned that I might get a failure.

With injector drivers, is it the actual drivers ? Or is it the mapper not setting up the drivers properly, or the battery offset ? Is it just the injector drivers that can fail ? Or other things too ?

Would like to know more about this. I have heard of one AEM failing completely, but I've heard of other ems systems failing too, but if the AEM is a proven risk then I would like to know before I get a failure at 100+ leptons ;)

Sure there are a few AEM users on here that would like to know too :)

yeah me too:search:

This is bad news for me and I would imagine all those reading this who have splashed out on AEM in the last 12 months, I was sold this system as being ' the best ' while I was looking at E manage and Power FC, as always with my car I went with the advice and choose ' the best ', only to hear this :( I get more and more fed up with the whole modded car scene every day :(

This is bad news for me and I would imagine all those reading this who have splashed out on AEM in the last 12 months, I was sold this system as being ' the best ' while I was looking at E manage and Power FC, as always with my car I went with the advice and choose ' the best ', only to hear this :( I get more and more fed up with the whole modded car scene every day :(

yeah that with me too:rolleyes::(